FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Carryon replacement for Travelpro circa 1998 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1381288-carryon-replacement-travelpro-circa-1998-a.html)

kbins Aug 26, 2012 8:02 pm

Carryon replacement for Travelpro circa 1998

I have a 22" Travelpro (circa 1998) that has been great, taken me round the world a few times, qualified me for Platinum 3x, but the handle finally stuck in the "up" position and Travelpro's email response on replacement parts query was cut from their script and didn't actually answer the question whether I could fix it (probably not, but I had to ask). So I'm looking for a replacement bag.

I am not currently travelling frequently - taking time off with kids - but have a few domestic trips coming up and hope to go back to work in the next 18-24 months with international and domestic travel in the future. So want another bag that will serve me well as my primary carry on bag given the newer restrictive environment.

I initially ordered a Travelpro FlightCrew 4 20" bag. I like many aspects of it, but comparing to my old bag, it's definitely smaller. It matches my hubby's Travelpro Crew3, I think, in size. I took his bag to London last year and I hated the smaller size, it was tip-prone, as well as the spinner wheels. I think I'm going to send the Flightcrew 4 20" back.

I spent an hour at my local luggage store and he had some good feedback for me about warranties, the parts he sees needing replacement on the various bags, and such. At this point, despite the fact that my Travelpro lasted 15 years, I am inclined not to get a Travelpro based on the current review of what seems to break and what isn't covered under even a 1 year warranty.

I really like the 22" Victorinox Werks 4 bag. I am about convinced, but the 10" depth has me concerned. Will I encounter gate check police with this bag? The single handle doesn't bother me, I never piggy-backed my laptop on my suitcase in the past. I want the option for expandability (if I shop and fill the bag, I will check it for the return home) but want to have legal carry-on size for the arrival to destination.

Briggs & Riley - not an option, I don't like the external handle.

I've searched and read lots of former threads here. Am I over thinking this for a $300 purchase?

tfar Aug 26, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't think you are overthinking this. But then, I have a tendency to overthink luggage matters anyway. ;)

Still, the answer is easy. Get a TP Platinum suitcase in the 20" size with two wheels.

The Plat 7 20" Exp. has all you require. Ditch the suiter to save weight. Price is $228 here: http://www.altmanluggage.com/travelpro_4091120m.php
(no affiliation whatsoever, just did a quick search).

It has the full-blown lifetime warranty including airline damage and TP does honor this on the Plat line.

Till

Travelpro Luggage Aug 27, 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by kbins (Post 19199208)
I have a 22" Travelpro (circa 1998) that has been great, taken me round the world a few times, qualified me for Platinum 3x, but the handle finally stuck in the "up" position and Travelpro's email response on replacement parts query was cut from their script and didn't actually answer the question whether I could fix it (probably not, but I had to ask). So I'm looking for a replacement bag.

I am not currently travelling frequently - taking time off with kids - but have a few domestic trips coming up and hope to go back to work in the next 18-24 months with international and domestic travel in the future. So want another bag that will serve me well as my primary carry on bag given the newer restrictive environment.

I initially ordered a Travelpro FlightCrew 4 20" bag. I like many aspects of it, but comparing to my old bag, it's definitely smaller. It matches my hubby's Travelpro Crew3, I think, in size. I took his bag to London last year and I hated the smaller size, it was tip-prone, as well as the spinner wheels. I think I'm going to send the Flightcrew 4 20" back.

I spent an hour at my local luggage store and he had some good feedback for me about warranties, the parts he sees needing replacement on the various bags, and such. At this point, despite the fact that my Travelpro lasted 15 years, I am inclined not to get a Travelpro based on the current review of what seems to break and what isn't covered under even a 1 year warranty.

I really like the 22" Victorinox Werks 4 bag. I am about convinced, but the 10" depth has me concerned. Will I encounter gate check police with this bag? The single handle doesn't bother me, I never piggy-backed my laptop on my suitcase in the past. I want the option for expandability (if I shop and fill the bag, I will check it for the return home) but want to have legal carry-on size for the arrival to destination.

Briggs & Riley - not an option, I don't like the external handle.

I've searched and read lots of former threads here. Am I over thinking this for a $300 purchase?

Maybe I can help you understand the difference in our warranties.

If you purchase a Platinum 7, it does have a lifetime worry free warranty. So, if it is damaged by an airline, we will fix it for you.

Our lifetime warranty on the remainder of the bags covers manufacturing defects, not normal wear and tear.

Travelpro International

aktchi Aug 27, 2012 11:04 am

Originally Posted by tfar (Post 19199430)
The Plat 7 20" Exp. has all you require. Ditch the suiter to save weight. Price is $228 here: http://www.altmanluggage.com/travelpro_4091120m.php

Good news, it would be $218. :) The sales page starts with a $10 shipping but after a click or two (or a call to the store) it should disappear as the store has free shipping for purchases >$99, also stated at the website.

anhonestmile Aug 31, 2012 11:02 am

Is the Platinum model really that much better than the Crew 8 / Crew 9?

The Travelpro 22" Crew 8 is much cheaper at $130!

oshelef Aug 31, 2012 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by anhonestmile (Post 19229784)

The warranties are certainly different.

N1120A Sep 6, 2012 11:31 am

Originally Posted by anhonestmile (Post 19229784)

The warranty is what is really better. Which makes a big difference if you travel a lot.