Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best backpack (or 2 shoulder convertible bag) NOT for laptop?

Old Aug 24, 12, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone! I am currently using a messenger bag or what can best be described as a "boarding bag" from Victorinox as a carry-on for trips. I am looking to find something that has decent capacity (35L/2100 cu in or more), but is either a backpack or convertible to a backpack (like the Patagonia MLC). The twist is that I generally do not travel with a laptop, and most of the bags that I've seen have laptop sleeves or other built-in laptop compartments that are basically dead space for me.

I like the idea of the Patagonia MLC, but I think it's a bit too big for my needs (it's 45L/2750 cu in). Can anyone recommend a suitable bag?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 24, 12, 6:03 pm

Tom Bihn Tristar is 33l. Redoxx Airboss and Skytrain are around 45l. As is TB Aeronaut.

Briggs Riley has a convertible duffle that should be around 35l, too. Don't recall the number right now. Sorry.

Otherwise, LL Bean might have something, too.

Till
Old Aug 25, 12, 6:25 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Check REI. I got an REI branded 40L that's great.
Old Aug 25, 12, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Hi,

The Aeronaut, Air Boss and Sky Train are great bags (I don't own the Aeronaut but have heard good things about them) but they are all bigger than you want.

Check out the Red Oxx C-Ruck or the Tom Bihn Tri-Star. I don't own these either but both companies make top-notch gear so they should be good.
Old Aug 25, 12, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/GE
Golite has a sale on their bag. http://www.golite.com/TraveLite-Conv...y-On-P939.aspx. I bought one for my 13 year old son since it was cheap ($63.99), and lightweight (2 lb 2 oz). Volume 2440 cu inch, 40 L.

First impressions, not as heavy duty (lightweight materials, coil zippers) as my Red Oxx Skytrain, but decent for the price. I'll keep my Skytrain since it's built well, but it should work out for my son.
Old Aug 25, 12, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LTGold, exEXP
Originally Posted by frankmu View Post
Golite has a sale on their bag. http://www.golite.com/TraveLite-Conv...y-On-P939.aspx. I bought one for my 13 year old son since it was cheap ($63.99), and lightweight (2 lb 2 oz). Volume 2440 cu inch, 40 L.
The TraveLite site doesn't give any interior views, but I found this on youtube, and it is company produced.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exilX5tlN-o

Why not a link on the site is anybody's guess.
Emphasized not for check-in. It's a pound lighter than the TriStar (which I use and recommend, computer or not). Let budget be your guide. My TriStar was pre-ordered when first announced and has been checked, set down on wet pavement, and otherwise not coddled, and still looks near new.
Old Aug 25, 12, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. That GoLite bag looks pretty good. It looks like all of the REI bags now have laptop compartments unfortunately, or I'd probably favor one of them...
Old Aug 25, 12, 8:49 pm

http://ogio.com/backpacks
Old Aug 26, 12, 8:28 am
Original Poster

In case anyone is interested in that GoLite bag, I found this detailed review of a previous model.

Thanks for the link to those backpacks, toddreg.
Old Sep 22, 12, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I swear by Eagle Creek bags. Mine is still going after living out of it for 3 years.

Search this Thread