FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Need a small companion bag for my Sky Train (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1370756-need-small-companion-bag-my-sky-train.html)

Materdei Jul 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Need a small companion bag for my Sky Train

Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop bag that complements my Sky Train and just know that you guys will provide me with some good options.

I've been travelling with my Sky Train and a Dell laptop bag that came with my E6420 laptop. This bag is rugged but it is quite heavy. The laptop itself is compact. I'm willing to give up some protection for the laptop in exchange for less weight. With the Sky Train in backpack mode the added weight of the laptop bag on one shoulder gets pretty uncomfortable.

I'm wanting a smaller, lighter laptop bag that will make long walks around town or through an airport more comfortable.

Perhaps there is something that I can somehow attach to my Sky Train?

Any suggestions?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jul 26, 2012 1:53 am

Tom Bihn has the Checkpoint Flyer.

You can also just get a laptop sleeve and stick the laptop in the Sky Train.

Materdei Jul 26, 2012 5:57 am

I've looked at the CF but am not looking for something that large. I'm really looking for something more minimal.

The RO Gator is just a tad too small otherwise I would get it. My laptop measures 12x10. I'm looking for something just large enough for it and a magazine or two, my Kindle, and my Passport/travel docs.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jul 26, 2012 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Materdei (Post 19004500)
I've looked at the CF but am not looking for something that large. I'm really looking for something more minimal.

The RO Gator is just a tad too small otherwise I would get it. My laptop measures 12x10. I'm looking for something just large enough for it and a magazine or two, my Kindle, and my Passport/travel docs.

Have you looked at some of the laptop sleeves? They offer some protection, but not as much as a real bag, but they can be slipped into the big bags. Some of them come with straps so you can carry them outside.

Mellonc Jul 26, 2012 10:58 am

this is nice

http://www.amazon.com/Tumi-Alpha-Org.../dp/B004AM5QQ2

GadgetFreak Jul 26, 2012 6:48 pm

I have a Red Oxx Metro which is quite nice.

sithjedi333 Jul 26, 2012 6:57 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-VNA...ic+netbook+vna

Homer15 Jul 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Materdei (Post 19004500)

Did you look at the cadet?

JMN57 Jul 26, 2012 11:19 pm

I've been a big fan of Waterfield's (sfbags) sleeves. They are probably a bit small for what you want but they have some smaller bags that would work for what you describe.

N1120A Jul 29, 2012 2:53 pm

1) Your small laptop will fit a Gator. I've fit my 14" laptop in its sleep in my Gator when it angled it a bit. Will definitely fit a 12" laptop.

2) A Red Oxx Metro or CPA (I use a CPA as my regular briefcase) will easily fit it and will go well with your Train.

Dianne47 Jul 29, 2012 4:43 pm

RedOxx has several nice briefcases, as mentioned by the poster above. I always like my luggage to "match," or coordinate in color, it looks more professional.

Materdei Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

I didn't think the Gator would be large enough. You certain it would fit my E6420?

Darbs Aug 2, 2012 8:22 am

Looking at the measurements of your laptop and the Gator, I think you would be pushing it since it would have to fit at an angle. Not worth the hassle to me personally. Check out the TB Cadet The measurements of your machine from the Dell site are

Dimensions & Weight5

Width: 13.86" / 352mm
Height: (front/back) 1.06"/26.90mm to 1.28"/32.40mm
Depth: 9.49" / 241.00mm

You could easily fit that in the larger cadet and might be able to squeeze it into the smaller one that measures 13.5x10.5. Give the folks at TB a call and they could let you know for sure. Please note, I love my Gator and take it on almost all of my trips. I just don't think it will work like you seem to want. Good luck! :)

Materdei Aug 2, 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks, all.

I've looked at the Cadet and the Gator. Based on some online reviews which speak about how much the bag holds, I've ordered the Gator hoping that it will accommodate the laptop.

If it doesn't fit I'll just give the bag to my daughter so that she can use it as a diaper bag.

The TB bags look nice and I read nothing but good reviews but I've got a problem with their politics and I'm just not sure I want to give them my money. I support their right to speak their minds just as I'm sure that they support my right to not buy their stuff because of it.

Dianne47 Aug 3, 2012 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Materdei (Post 19050609)
The TB bags look nice and I read nothing but good reviews but I've got a problem with their politics and I'm just not sure I want to give them my money. I support their right to speak their minds just as I'm sure that they support my right to not buy their stuff because of it.

Tom Bihn politics? I read their company blog and website forum and don't recall any political comments or remarks. Pray tell, what are your objections?