Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Need a small companion bag for my Sky Train

Need a small companion bag for my Sky Train

Old Aug 3, 12, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Materdei View Post
Thanks, all.

I've looked at the Cadet and the Gator. Based on some online reviews which speak about how much the bag holds, I've ordered the Gator hoping that it will accommodate the laptop.

If it doesn't fit I'll just give the bag to my daughter so that she can use it as a diaper bag.

The TB bags look nice and I read nothing but good reviews but I've got a problem with their politics and I'm just not sure I want to give them my money. I support their right to speak their minds just as I'm sure that they support my right to not buy their stuff because of it.
...the label "incident"? But he is an idiot....
Old Aug 4, 12, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
Tom Bihn politics? I read their company blog and website forum and don't recall any political comments or remarks. Pray tell, what are your objections?
Hi, Dianne47. Google 'tom bihn treason tag' for details.
Old Aug 4, 12, 2:00 am

snopes on TB labels

Well, TB deflected it by saying it was targeted at the company president. I guess we'll never know if this was political or not, but it sure generated a lot of sales.
Old Aug 4, 12, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

The tag said 'we are sorry about our idiot president, we didn't vote for him'. For them to claim they were referring to their company is a lie. Company presidents are not voted into office.

Like I said before, I totally support their right to free speech, but let's call a spade a spade. They said what they said and then they didn't have the guts to stand up for it.
Old Aug 4, 12, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
OK, "Materdei," thanks for the pointer and I hadn't heard about these so-called TB "treason labels." Personally, I think the use and care labels were a clever piece of marketing and garnered publicity for the company. You don't often see such unusual washing instructions! Reading the snopes write-up made me laugh.

I happen to have no issue with the sentiment expressed in French, and I'm certainly and absolutely NOT a traitor to my country. There is no way for a reader to know what president the label is referring to: Bihn, Bush, Chirac, Putin? I don't want this thread to drift off-course, then it might get kicked to Omni or closed by the moderator...

It's a great country isn't it, we're free to vote for whom we wish and buy or not buy products for any reason whatsoever.

Last edited by Dianne47; Aug 5, 12 at 6:42 am Reason: to correct punctuation
Old Aug 4, 12, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Agreed, Dianne47.

When the Gator arrives I'll post an update.
Old Aug 4, 12, 9:28 pm

Sweet Mother of God, what a good laugh. I'll look at my care labels more closely from now on.

I agree that it was certainly minted on then Pres. George W.

a) TB is to my knowledge not distributed in Europe but only in USA and Canada. Especially back then. Canada is bilingual in English and French. The Canadians were (like the rest of the civilized world) not super fond of W.
The worldwide sentiment was to the point where some Americans felt it best to "disguise" themselves as Canadians with Maple pins and the likes when traveling abroad. So it is an apology about the US president to the Canadians.

b) "We didn't vote for him" is a double entendre. Not only did TB probably not vote for him but there were also (in my view very tenable) allegations of electoral fraud, where in reality he should not have been in office.

So I agree with MaterDei that this was definitely a shot at W. But I agree with TB that it was a good shot, even if I am not the greatest fan of TB's quirky niche product designs, e.g. making a great bag like the Co-Pilot but not make it big enough to fit a 13" Macbook which would have taken about a 1" bigger bag diagonally.

MD, if the Gator doesn't fit, try out any of the sleeve bags with a handle from Incase. Very good quality. I got one myself and it does precisely what you'd like of it. It is slim enough to be inserted into an ordinary briefcase or shoulder bag but is also big enough to work as a slim standalone laptop/briefcase. And it has attachments for a shoulder strap as well as a carry handle.

Till
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
This thread makes me like TB even more than I do already. I only have one TB piece (three Red Oxx pieces); I'll need to figure out what new piece to sneak by Ms. Phillychuck
Old Aug 5, 12, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Originally Posted by phillychuck View Post
This thread makes me like TB even more than I do already. I only have one TB piece (three Red Oxx pieces); I'll need to figure out what new piece to sneak by Ms. Phillychuck
^ ^
Old Aug 5, 12, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Till,

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to check out the Incase bags. They look nice but all of their sizes are in another language that I don't speak; Apple. Don't have the slightest idea which bag I would need.
Old Aug 5, 12, 6:34 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Thanks for pointing out that political message. I might add some fantastic, American made TB to my collection of excellent, American made Red Oxx travel gear. Despite their libertarian-leaning, gun toting image, the Red Oxx people also embrace lots of "liberal" causes, like on-shoring, fair trade, community-based growth, energy efficiency and the like. Perhaps the OP should avoid their products as well?

Originally Posted by Materdei View Post
I didn't think the Gator would be large enough. You certain it would fit my E6420?
Like I said, it fits my 14" laptop in its sleeve when angled. A 12" laptop should actually not be a problem at all. The bag has quite a bit of give, which allows it to swallow more than its dimensions suggest.
Old Aug 5, 12, 7:39 pm

You're welcome, MD.

The thing is that these bags (any bag really) do have some leeway to play with. For example mine is a so-called Incase13 fitting for 13" Macbooks. The Mac is hardly an inch thick but the bag could stomach a computer that's 1.5" thick.

Besides this "try it" approach you could also give the company a call and ask if your computer fits. Easiest and safest approach. Perhaps best done by email. Or compare the specs of your computer to the specs of an Apple machine close in size.

Certainly, my 15" pc laptop does not fit in the sleeve but I could almost fit two 13" Macbooks in there.

I also just took the specs from your computer (posted by DARBS) and checked with a ruler if it would fit in my bag. Yes it would. It would be a very tight fit especially in width but all the other dimensions would fit easily.

Interior width of my bag is 355mm.

Till
Old Aug 5, 12, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Till,

Again, thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to measure your bag for me.
Old Aug 8, 12, 2:39 pm

While I have been an "observer" here for quite some time, I felt the need to register just to give my feedback in this thread. This is my first - and perhaps my last - post on this forum.

First of all I want to thank Materdei for bringing the issue of Bihn's "politics" to light. While I never purchased any of his products, I will now make sure I never will.

I agree that he is taking the coward's way out by not acknowledging the obvious content of these tags and the message being sent and not owning up to what he obviously knew.

Originally Posted by N1120A View Post
Thanks for pointing out that political message. I might add some fantastic, American made TB to my collection of excellent, American made Red Oxx travel gear. Despite their libertarian-leaning, gun toting image, the Red Oxx people also embrace lots of "liberal" causes, like on-shoring, fair trade, community-based growth, energy efficiency and the like. Perhaps the OP should avoid their products as well?
I own many Red Oxx products and while I happen to agree with many of Jim Markel's opinions and life choices, you cannot equate his supposed embracement of "liberal" causes with the outright disrespect for an American President that Mr. Bihn and his company obviously promote and condone.

As an American, you may disagree with a the views and actions of a sitting President, but you do not disrespect the individual or the office. Sorry Jack, but it is "Un-American".
Old Aug 8, 12, 3:52 pm

It's interesting to say the least. I thought the Tom Bihn, Red Oxx and the Made in USA chanting bunch of people were all sort of pro USA, pro America, pro Red, White and Blue and sort of liberty and freedom for all types. I guess W didn't fall into the true "USA" team?!?!?!

Going back to the Tom Bihn bags I don't like like them so much cuz they seem overly nice for what it really is - an unstructured nylon bag that falls over like a freebie bag you get at conferences.

See this video review....

http://vimeo.com/17333701

Search this Thread
Search Engine: