Wiki Posts
Search

Best footwear for travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Best footwear for travel

I hope this is the right forum for this question, but couldn't find any question quite like mine.

Simply put, what footwear do you typically find yourselves wearing on flights? I am partial to Birkenstocks, but I realize that my ugly toes are probably not the best thing to show off in the cabin (economy or business).

I am gravitating, as a compromise towards the Birkenstock Boston line (they're essentially clogs) and will allow me to wear socks and look somewhat presentable and not like some hick flying for the first time.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Best footwear for travel

Maybe not as specific a response you were looking for, but in general I wear closed toed lace up shoes during takeoff and landing. If the flight is long (>5 hrs) I'll switch to flip flops mid flight. Reason being is that I want to be able to move fast should there be an incident during takeoff/landing.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:41 pm

Tennis/running shoes and white cotton socks. If it's a long flight (eg, TPAC or TATL) I'll often remove my shoes (after reaching cruising alt) and place them under the seat or in some other appropriate, out of the way place. I typically travel these long routes in F/J so there's little chance of my going shoeless bothering other pax. I put them back on when going to the lav as you never know what you might find there.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: Delta FO, ANA nobody
Adidas' Sambas. They look stylish, but more importantly, they're designed for indoor soccer (football, depending on your part of the world) so they are comfortable while doing sudden sprints, dodging opponents, kicking hard objects, etc.- all the typical activities you would usually find yourself doing when bad weather turned that 45 minute layover into only 10. It's a bad habit I have as somebody living in Japan, but I don't even untie them at security, just pull them off and on again.

And my heart goes out to anyone wearing sandals/flip flops who gets a bag dropped on or rolled over their toes. Beyond comprehension, but I've seen clumsy passengers do it to others in the airport or during boarding too many times to count.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Over the years I have found the Rockport ProWalker to be a most comfortable pair of shoes at pretty much all times, not only when flying. If your local shoe store does not sell them in your desired size, try zappos.com
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
Propet Slip On Sneakers.

These are the best casual shoes I have ever owned in my life.

They do slip right on and off and if they get dirty, you rinse them under running water and then wipe dry. They are then ready to be worn again.

I can easily slip them off in flight and, if I need to get up and walk the aisle, they easily slip right back on. No need for your hands to assist either.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:16 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by cogitate
Over the years I have found the Rockport ProWalker to be a most comfortable pair of shoes at pretty much all times, not only when flying. If your local shoe store does not sell them in your desired size, try zappos.com
+1 to most Rockport shoes.

My current favorite is the Rockport Encounter 2, also like the World Tour.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Either clogs or sneakers, depending on how much airport walking I expect (if I have layovers, etc.).

I swell during flight and for a good couple days afterward such that I find if I remove my slip-on loafer-type shoes early in the flight, they are VERY hard to borderline impossible to get them back on later. I need something that either has no back on them so they fit no matter what or where I can loosen the laces a lot.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:56 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
This thread would be most apt for the Travel Products forum and I'll move it there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks folks...great food for thought. I'll default to sneakers if I have to if I can't find a compromise between comfort and style. Well, I'm off to go shopping for shoes (I never say that, hate shopping, but my feet will thank me).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 6:51 am

I would says it doesn't mind, just take your shoes off when you sit and put it on again when landing.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I usually wear Crocs Santa Cruz loafers.

They give you all the comfort of Crocs material, but they look like normal shoes. The best part is that you can fold the back down and they essentially become clogs temporarily, which is great for airport checkpoints and such.

For more casual situations I am usually wearing a pair of Scutes. Those are the most comfortable shoe from Crocs (by far, IMHO). But not quite up to flying in first or business class. Maybe steerage.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
In a related thread there is this thread on footwear.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by keloutwest
Maybe not as specific a response you were looking for, but in general I wear closed toed lace up shoes during takeoff and landing. If the flight is long (>5 hrs) I'll switch to flip flops mid flight. Reason being is that I want to be able to move fast should there be an incident during takeoff/landing.
Me too, for the same reasons. No slip-ons, ever, and no flimsy soles. I have a pair of black Timberland lace-ups that work great.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Me too, for the same reasons. No slip-ons, ever, and no flimsy soles. I have a pair of black Timberland lace-ups that work great.
I don't generally wear slip-on's and loafers either not because of possible incidents but for two other reasons. 1. My podiatrist tells me to stay away from them if I am walking anything more a couple of blocks - some thing to do with over pronation of my gait and 2. they show socks when I walk.

I do, however, wear them from time to time at the airport and through out the flight. then, I change to proper lace up's right after I land.

I think this is the model I have.
http://www.amazon.com/Mephisto-Forti...=pd_sbs_shoe_2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.