Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you put in your packing cubes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

What do you put in your packing cubes?

I'm leaving on a long-term trip to Europe with just my newly-purchased MEI Voyageur and decided it was time to give packing cubes a try after seeing how many people seem to really like them. Plus they seem much more like a necessity for a bag like the Voyageur.

Most of the online discussion about cubes seems pretty vague on exactly what people put in them. So, packing-cube fans: which cubes do you pack, and what exactly do you put in each one?

I'm inclined to try to use them to organize by time rather than by type. That is, in a single Eagle Creek Half Tube Cube, I can roll up a thin pair of pants, some socks, underwear, and a shirt: a single day's change of clothes. Two of those plus maybe a Quarter Cube with an extra couple pairs of socks and a shirt should do it for me clothing-wise, aside from a sweater which I'm putting in a compression bag since it's kind of bulky. Yesterday's dirty laundry can be wrapped in a thin plastic grocery bag and put in today's cube. All the cubes stay 100% full and no need for a separate laundry container that grows and shrinks from day to day.

It seems to me like organizing by clothing type eliminates one of the potential advantages of putting clothes in cubes, in that you would have to open all of them up every day rather than just pulling one out and leaving the rest sitting in your bag. And as soon as you took out the first change of clothes, you'd lose the compression benefit since there'd be empty space left behind. But maybe I'm thinking about it wrong! Curious to know how people make that work well.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Amex Plat; AA-United-KLM
I'm on the road/plane every week and packing cubes are a constant in my carry-on luggage. 90-100% of the cube contents are clothes. How I sort them depends on the trip duration and if I'm moving frequently or infrequently. On a 1-3 day trip, I'll probably fit all my clothes [and a change of workout clothes] in one cube. Alongside that cube in my travel bag will be my shoe bag. Longer trips, like the weeklong London Berlin trip I did last week, I used/stuffed two medium packing cubes [medium seems to be the most versatile].

If changing locations during the trip on a daily basis, then I would pack more towards daily outfits. If stationary, then it doesn't matter that much to me as I'll unpack everything at my destination and can organize there.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: *G
2 sets
1 for pajama related stuff
1 for socks
1 for underwear
1 for trousers
1 for belts and accessories
and whatever else you need to keep separated from others

im indifferent on their usefulness... its a bit handy yes but not exactly life changing in terms of my traveling life
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
For laundry Eagle Creek do some "divided" ones. IIRC these come in the full cube and half cube size. One half is the standard cube, the other half waterproof. You can use them as normal but nice to know you have waterproof if you need it.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Although it varies by length of trip (short trips I do with an complete outfit in each cube from underwear to skirt and blouse to a scarf), I organize by sort of item.

That said, I start my packing when I return home from a trip and launder the contents of the cubes and the cubes themselves. I hang the cubes to dry.

When the laundry is dry, I repack the cubes of items that I don't concern myself about having wrinkles such as underwear and stockings. That job is then done. I know how many of each item I put into a cube sorting out the cubes by color coding (I know I do plan a great deal).

I am a small person so my clothes fit in cubes without much effort. For long trips I pack my good clothes into cubes the day before flying out.

I use cubes for my spare pair of shoes as well as a pair of flip flops for showers.

I have one cube of electronic cables and etc.

However, when I drive for a trip it is game over and I haul half of what I own along with me.
bethyy likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:43 am

Everyone works differently and you might have to go thru some trial and error.

Ii take 2-4 wk biz trips to Asia and only have Tumi carry on (22 inch that can expand). I can pack more without cubes but it takes longer and no matter what happens always have some wrinkles with eBag cube (usually one large, one medium), get less but no wrinkles.

YMMV
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:02 am

I don't like the idea of compression bags, and any sweater/coat that is too big gets on my body, or slung on my arm and onto the plane as either a second/third pillow.

I buy really cheap dust-bags meant for CD/DVDs, because of the zipper (which is crappy, but it's just $1.50) and a side made of clear plastic so I can see what is in it without taking everything out.

Anyway, mine consists of:
- Everyday clothes, so I kind of look at what I have and mix-match accordingly
- Undergarments, socks, scarves, etc., so I know not to leave any drying socks or underwear behind
- Chargers & travel adapter, with space for gifts and souvenirs
- A small one for miscellaneous cosmetics and toiletries that are not in the ziplock bag
- A shoe bag for slippers/ballet flats if needed

I don't separate mine based on time because I tend to bring clothes I can match with other items; makes it less boring. And I agree with the plastic bag idea, even though it can get a bit noisy if you are in a hostel like me trying to sort your clothes out at night, but poo.

Just make sure you put your cubes properly. See picture of my Mei Voyageur from my last trip to Tokyo; it was last minute packing and because the Mei bag is soft... well, just arrange your cubes properly so it looks decent lol.

(removed by poster)
Muffin top.

I did not notice it until I was waiting to board.

Last edited by Ryvyan; Oct 3, 2012 at 11:39 pm
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Even for short trips I prefer to pack like items in the same cube. I hear what you're saying about the convenience of packing each day's items in a single cube, but it doesn't work for me.

I use quarter cubes the most, followed by the tube cubes. I don't like the larger cubes, I prefer smaller ones. For my husband's packing I use the Eagle Creek envelopes for shirts, pants are not in envelopes or cubes, half cubes for UW, tee shirts, PJs, ties. The double-sided half cubes are nice because you can flip them over and not have to dig through the whole cube to get something out. He likes tube cubes for socks and slipper socks. We use plastic bags (from the hotel or grocery store) for dirty laundry. Fold dirty items flat instead of wadding them, then compress the air out with your forearms. You fit more in your pack or suitcase with flat folding.

Once you travel with cubes you won't go back. Oldpenny is the packing cubes empress, whatever she advises is probably best!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Wow! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dianne47
Even for short trips I prefer to pack like items in the same cube. I hear what you're saying about the convenience of packing each day's items in a single cube, but it doesn't work for me.

I use quarter cubes the most, followed by the tube cubes. I don't like the larger cubes, I prefer smaller ones. For my husband's packing I use the Eagle Creek envelopes for shirts, pants are not in envelopes or cubes, half cubes for UW, tee shirts, PJs, ties. The double-sided half cubes are nice because you can flip them over and not have to dig through the whole cube to get something out. He likes tube cubes for socks and slipper socks. We use plastic bags (from the hotel or grocery store) for dirty laundry. Fold dirty items flat instead of wadding them, then compress the air out with your forearms. You fit more in your pack or suitcase with flat folding.

Once you travel with cubes you won't go back. Oldpenny is the packing cubes empress, whatever she advises is probably best!
That compliment means a lot to me.

I can't remember what year I got my first set of packing cubes but they were a gift that I really didn't understand at the time. The color coding came in when we started using Red Oxx bags for much of our gear and it became important to be able to know what was what just by seeing the exterior color of the bags. Just took the idea over to packing cubes.

Ebags has the best variety of packing cube colors. I like the way the Ebags cubes wash (and hang to dry). They stay very nice.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:26 am

I use eBags packing cubes, and I put loose items that I don't want flopping around the bag. I use the small ones, so I can organize better. They tend to carry electronics, toiletries, and smaller clothes that I don't bundle wrap.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 5:36 pm

The eBag long tibe is perfect size for Cpap hose, extension cord, power cord and some filters
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I use the quarter cubes the most.
Usually undergarments fit in one (undershirt/briefs) along with tshirts and socks. Undergarments are only one set as I wear the other set and wash on the trip (devoted to Ex Officio). These can pretty much all fit in one cube.
The next cube is shorts (one normal pair and one gym pair), ball cap and whatever else I can compress (usually a polo shirt).
Lastly, I have the folding pack for pants and button down shirts and a thin wool sweater. I call this my travel uniform. I think I'm wearing the same thing in all my travel pictures from teh last several years.

they fit nicely in the bag and when I'm at the hotel, the cubes sit in the drawers with the tops unzipped and folded back under the cube. the drawer is orderly.

dirty stuff goes into a compression sack depending on where i am in the trip (if they don't get washed as they won't be worn again).
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:31 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
When using a large carry-on, I use packing cubes to corral small items such as nylons, socks, underwear and camisoles. There's less chance of loosing some on the road or at your destination. I also use a small cube for some electronics but stash that with my 3-1-1 bag instead of using it as part of the core in my bundle. If that carry-on is particularly large, unstructured and the items really small, I also use packing cubes to help balance the load and keep the shape of the bag.

I also use packing cubes to pack for short trips to keep a change of clothes in it. This way I can use the same briefcase/brieftote for both work stuff and overnight stuff.

I rarely use packing cubes just to stuff more things in a bag.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Shirts go in a 18" packing folder (tried rolling, and this worked better for me). Underwear/socks go into a medium cube. Carry an empty mesh stuff sack for dirties. Pants and shorts go directly into the bag. Don't carry extra shoes typically, but I would just use a plastic shopping bag for (no need for a nice cube). The big draw back is that dirty shirts need to be refolded to go back in the folder.

Cords and adapters go in half (or full) tube depending on amount. I've got big gap plasic mesh bag for toiletries (also went liquid free). In flight items (tissues, sleeping pill/Advil, cliff bar minis, earbuds, etc) go in a medium pack-it sac and I pull it and a magazine out and toss them in the seat back.

A few years ago after getting stopped by FRA gate scan for a wireless mouse w/batteries I decided it was MUCH easier to have most of the small items in bags for this reason. Afterwards I realized that it was great when getting to a new hotel as I could toss the cubes into draws and not have to unravel a bundle or unstack/reorganize my clothes.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:06 pm
GRD

Programs: DL MM, AA Plt, WN
I use a soft-sided shoulder bag for work travel. To give it form and keep dress clothes looking nice, I use an Eagle Creek 18" folder, two sided cube, half tube cube, and quarter tube cube. For a Mon-Fri trip:

> The folder holds four dress shirts, wrapped with two dress slacks before folding it up.

> The two sided cube holds four each undershirts, underwear, and dress socks. The clean clothes start on the sealed mesh side and once worn, go into the open mesh side.

> The half tube holds a rolled up running shirt, running short, and running socks. (Since they dry quick, I only bring one set and wash them in the sink after I work out if I plan to work out more than once).

> The quarter cube serves serves as my toiletry kit (less liquids that go into a quart zip lock bag).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.