Wiki Posts
Search

Vacuum bottle?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Vacuum bottle?

Do you fly with one? Which brand and make? I have thought on this today first, checked a few ones in the store and was like "OMFG heavy" and abandoned the idea. Any lightweight ones?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:21 am

I take an insulated and non-insulated on trips. I like this Thermos as an insulated bottle. It is great for hot drinks or keeping liquids cold. For a non-insulated bottle I like Camelbak products with a bite valve. The bite valve allows you to drink water through a straw but leak proof.

Shak

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacu...er-bottle.aspx

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Bottles.aspx
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I find the cheaper-looking Thermos ones are generally the ones that keep things hot the longest!! (although I haven't tried the new very light top-end ones). TKmaxx had some in in the UK very recently.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:24 pm

Are you sure you can get through Security carrying a vacuum bottle? I thought you couldn't bring any liquids in a bottle.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by franceflyer
Are you sure you can get through Security carrying a vacuum bottle? I thought you couldn't bring any liquids in a bottle.
You can't take any liquids, but just a thermos can be really helpful later, when you do have liquids. I see a lot of people with insulated travel mugs, but a real thermos works much longer--if you fill it with an iced beverage, there will often still be ice several days later.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Obviously, but you can refill past security and also the subsequent days on the trip. You can make sure it's completely dry before going through security to make sure the blue ones don't score a nice Thermos.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shak51
I take an insulated and non-insulated on trips. I like this Thermos as an insulated bottle. It is great for hot drinks or keeping liquids cold. For a non-insulated bottle I like Camelbak products with a bite valve. The bite valve allows you to drink water through a straw but leak proof.

Shak
Camelbak also has an insulated stainless steel bottle with a bite valve. I've still had ice in mine 24 hours after filling, even on hot road trips. With plane travel, it rides in an exterior pocket. I've had the x-ray scanner ask me if it's empty, but a quick shake satisfies them.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Originally Posted by Megn
Camelbak also has an insulated stainless steel bottle with a bite valve. I've still had ice in mine 24 hours after filling, even on hot road trips. With plane travel, it rides in an exterior pocket. I've had the x-ray scanner ask me if it's empty, but a quick shake satisfies them.
Agreed, I leave the cap off, and the bottle upside down in the water bottle pocket of my bag and I've never had a screener give it a second look.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:53 am

I haven't flown with a thermos style bottle but the TSA hasn't batted an eye at my empty camelbak bottle when I've brought it through security. As long as it's empty you should be fine.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Further research finds http://www.altrec.com/outdoor-resear...r-bottle-parka . Any experience with this and a plain bottle?
Old Jul 9, 2012, 1:31 pm

I don't have the insulated stainless version, but our camelback bottles do leak/drip some if held upside down/jostled. They don't spill exactly, but we've had wet bags often enough that I just don't trust them to be totally leak proof.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by oshelef
I don't have the insulated stainless version, but our camelback bottles do leak/drip some if held upside down/jostled. They don't spill exactly, but we've had wet bags often enough that I just don't trust them to be totally leak proof.
I am vigorously shaking my Camelbak bottle upside down now and it is not leaking. The only problem I have had with Camelbak products was one bottle I purchased it was very difficult to suck the liquid out of. I called Camelbak and they sent me a new lid right away and it works fine since. You may want to call them and tell them your problem.

Shak
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:33 pm

I have had the Thermos I mentioned earlier long before I became aware of Camelbak products and it really works fine. If it fails me I may get the Camelbak you mention.

I have 3 Camelbak products. The one I use daily is the 500ml bottle with a bite valve. I also have a plastic insulated Camelbak and the Camelbak with a charcoal filter. Both have bite valves too.

Shak
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: US DM, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by chx1975
Further research finds http://www.altrec.com/outdoor-resear...r-bottle-parka . Any experience with this and a plain bottle?
I have one (an older version, admittedly) that I've used in a backpacking setting, but not in a travel setting. It certainly works better than a plain bottle alone, but is nowhere near as effective as a good vacuum bottle. They're really primarily designed to keep water bottles from freezing in extremely cold environments.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shak51
I am vigorously shaking my Camelbak bottle upside down now and it is not leaking. The only problem I have had with Camelbak products was one bottle I purchased it was very difficult to suck the liquid out of. I called Camelbak and they sent me a new lid right away and it works fine since. You may want to call them and tell them your problem.

Shak
I should say I've never actually directly observed the leaking. But I've ended up with a wet tote bag or backpack and a bottle with less than I had in it a few hours earlier more than a few times. Enough that we've gone back to using our klean-canteen screw top bottles instead.

Good idea though. I'll contact them and see what they say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.