Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Top 10 Travel Items (with a bonus or two)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by DavidVIE
really, you had to take it off? But as I understand, there is no metal in them right, so why do you have to take them off?
Can you tell me whether it works at least most of the time? I mean is London a black sheep exception or is it actually the rule?
TSA told me that it's because the body scanners pick it up as an anomaly that requires further screening. I've had TSA in several places tell me to remove my belt, even though there's obviously no metal in it.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Megn
TSA told me that it's because the body scanners pick it up as an anomaly that requires further screening. I've had TSA in several places tell me to remove my belt, even though there's obviously no metal in it.
Hrm... I haven't had to take it off at all this year, including in SIN and FRA, where security is pretty thorough. In FRA the agent reminded me to take off my belt whilst I was emptying contents into the bin, I showed him it's plastic and he was more than okay with it. Also, I didn't have a problem in EWR with the body scanner and TSA requesting to take it off.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I had different off/on experience with this belt despite showing the security agent that it is plastic/non-metallic.

The belt is acceptable for business casual. I would not use it for dressier occasions.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Most belts have metal buckles, so when the typical passenger says "My belt is plastic / leather" they don't realize that it can set off a metal detector set at high sensitivity. This can slow down the line.

I think that some security staff members decide to avoid this kind of delay by telling everyone to take off their belts.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
I'll add a couple more - easier than editing my list. A 5400mAh battery, with 2 usb ports, to recharge my stuff if there are no power outlets around, and a Logitech Ultrathin iPad keyboard - I'm in love with this thing.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by DrSavant
I'll add a couple more - easier than editing my list. A 5400mAh battery, with 2 usb ports, to recharge my stuff if there are no power outlets around, and a Logitech Ultrathin iPad keyboard - I'm in love with this thing.

Love the battery idea! Where would I buy this? Local or internet?
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Stars4SA
You can go both ways - I bought one at the airport in AMS, and it turned out not to have enough juice for my needs - when I came back from ABV, I exchanged it for a higher capacity one.

When buying one, make sure that the actual output at each individual port is 1000mAh or higher, or else it won't charge your iPad, and may not charge an iPhone - Blackberries are a mixed bag - the 9900 for example won't charge either.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by DrSavant
You can go both ways - I bought one at the airport in AMS, and it turned out not to have enough juice for my needs - when I came back from ABV, I exchanged it for a higher capacity one.

When buying one, make sure that the actual output at each individual port is 1000mAh or higher, or else it won't charge your iPad, and may not charge an iPhone - Blackberries are a mixed bag - the 9900 for example won't charge either.
1000 mAh is a capacity. How much current would it need to put out? I read that the iPad requires about 2A of charging current, and the USB standard is only 500 mA.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
1000 mAh is a capacity. How much current would it need to put out? I read that the iPad requires about 2A of charging current, and the USB standard is only 500 mA.
Sorry - had a crappy night/long day - brain is working at 20% capacity

I meant 1000mA. An iPad and iPad 2 charge just fine with 1000 - just a lot slower. Generally speaking, an actual iPad charger outputs 2100mA, however I was able to go with as little as 750mA, using one of those new Blackberry apple wannabe chargers (long story), although it took forever.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
I like this Anker 5600mah one, built in cord and extra USB ports.

I carry two extra batteries - great for long flights etc. They charge just about everything except my camera!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
I've used a bunch of different external batteries over the years, and here's the best one I've had *by far*:

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-Plug-s/220.htm

I love the built in, retractable outlet prongs for recharging - makes it great for travel. Plus, 10,400 or 15,600 mAh??? Are you kidding me??

Finally, there are 2 usb ports, with "intelligent" power distribution. From their web site:

HyperJuice Plug features a total of 15W power shared between 2 USB ports.
Unlike other dual USB batteries that simply designates "high power" 10W USB port (for iPad/tablet charging) and "low power" 5W USB port(for iPhone/smartphone charging),
HyperJuice Plug intelligently distributes and delivers the maximum power to individual devices irregardless of which USB port they are plugged to.

See here: http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice-...p/p10-blue.htm
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:22 pm

@thegasguru - the plug is a def winner - but g-d damn on the price!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:56 am

I bought this 5000mAh battery three days ago from Monoprice and it arrived today (cheapest shipping, but it only traveled from southern CA to northern CA, total price $32.20 after a 10% coupon). It only ships with a USB-microUSB cable. It's currently $5 cheaper than when I bought it three days ago. No idea why or if the price will change again soon.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...3110&p_id=9283

Plugged it in right out of the box (LEDs showed 3/4 capacity), and it charged my Galaxy Nexus 14% over 35 minutes (2% every 5 minutes) from the 2.1A port and 5% over 25 minutes (1% every 5 minutes) from the 1.0A port. My Nexus 7 tablet would not charge from the 2.1A port, but tablet battery went from 43% to 86% in 2 hours (charger battery ran out) from the 1.0A port, an apparent rate of 7% every 20 minutes. That didn't make much sense to me because the Galaxy Nexus charged 2% every 5 minutes (or 8% over 20 minutes) from the 2.1A port.

I'll do more tests later, plus recharge time, and try to borrow an iPhone and iPad from a friend. I'll do a more thorough write-up later.

Last edited by klew97; Oct 5, 2012 at 1:04 am
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slidergirl
duct tape. How can you NOT carry this??? Takes up little space (pack around and inside it) and can do sooooo much!
Don't forget Ziploc bags..........and a small pack of safety pins.......
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by teachdydx
Don't forget Ziploc bags..........and a small pack of safety pins.......
Ziploc bags are key!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.