Beginner Consultant

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Consultant

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
On the hotel thing, the major chains which count stays no longer count check-out and check-in to the same property on consecutive days as separate stays. It was possible for a while, but it's been years since it worked, ime.

What the hardcore folks (or those who need the extra stays to hit status) will sometimes do is switch hotels every night. Often, there will low- to mid-tier hotels from the same group right next to each other, so they'll just hop back and forth every day. Total pain.

I say just stick with one hotel. You'll get more than enough nights anyway to hit your status, so no worries there.

Also, I actually knew a guy who was on-site at a client for 6 months and got the client to agree to him buying a $700 bike to ride between the hotel and the office instead of getting a rental car, which he estimated at over $3500 for the 6 month period. It was a small town with a huge employer, so everything was pretty close. When it rained, he just hitched a ride with someone else or took the hotel shuttle.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.. I don't see myself moving from hotel to hotel just to rack up the points.

So what is Delsey's best line?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:14 pm

@MellonC I actually think the Calvin Klein Dylan bag you posted is quite smart in the sense that it combines a hard shell with double wheels and exterior pockets. There aren't many bags like that. Rimowa once had on like it but they don't make it anymore.

The Kenneth Cole is clearly couchey, though.

@jss381 You can go to any online luggage site and find out for yourself.

Till
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:52 pm

Not gonna argue with on the design of the hard shell/spinner combo as I think you are right. I was pointing out the distasteful logo splashed across the whole bag.

Los Angeles is a funny place. It's actually not uncommon to see people paying for just a couple of gallons of gas at the pump because you really don't have money to fuel your S Class Benz. Of course they are wearing Gucci loafers and La Coste polos at the self service car wash for 8 quarters a wash.

Last edited by Mellonc; Jun 6, 2012 at 10:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 7, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by tfar
@MellonC I actually think the Calvin Klein Dylan bag you posted is quite smart in the sense that it combines a hard shell with double wheels and exterior pockets. There aren't many bags like that. Rimowa once had on like it but they don't make it anymore.

Till
Rimowa used to have the Bolero, but this has been replaced by the "Salsa Deluxe Hybrid", which I'm pretty sure is still current?

I don't like them personally and they seem terrifically expensive, but they are available if you're that way inclined.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by Mellonc
Los Angeles is a funny place. It's actually not uncommon to see people paying for just a couple of gallons of gas at the pump because you really don't have money to fuel your S Class Benz. Of course they are wearing Gucci loafers and La Coste polos at the self service car wash for 8 quarters a wash.
Yeah, and they're probably either living with their parents, or in a studio apartment with clothes strewn all over the place...

But regardless, this bothers you why?

Some people choose to spend their money on consumables, others choose to save for some indeterminate "future." Those who spend now might very well look at you with disdain, saying "What's the point of working so hard and flying around the world so much, if you can't have nice things?"

Regardless of how much gas money he has, he still able to enjoy his S-class Benz... Why get hung up on this stuff.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mellonc
Not gonna argue with on the design of the hard shell/spinner combo as I think you are right. I was pointing out the distasteful logo splashed across the whole bag.

Originally Posted by pittpanther
Yeah, and they're probably either living with their parents, or in a studio apartment with clothes strewn all over the place...

But regardless, this bothers you why?

Some people choose to spend their money on consumables, others choose to save for some indeterminate "future." Those who spend now might very well look at you with disdain, saying "What's the point of working so hard and flying around the world so much, if you can't have nice things?"

Regardless of how much gas money he has, he still able to enjoy his S-class Benz... Why get hung up on this stuff.
Alright guys, we're getting really off point here. Let's stick to advising the young consultant on his (her?) needs and save the fashion/lifestyle choice discussion for another thread. ^
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman's, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
As a fellow consultant, I recommend finding a suitcase with a sleeve for your suits. You can bring the suit sleeve with you when you need to pack suits or leave it at home when you are business casual.

I personally use a 21in Briggs & Riley suitcase that has seen close to one million miles with me over the years. I almost never check my carry-on so it still looks new and clean.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by deniah
sounds like fun. buy cheap and replace. this is a terrible approach ... to everything - luggage, clothes, furniture, appliances, hobbies
.... and relationships?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K- RCC
Originally Posted by AC521
I personally use a 21in Briggs & Riley suitcase that has seen close to one million miles with me over the years. I almost never check my carry-on so it still looks new and clean.
+1 its a personal choice but the 20" BR has been working great for me for 5 years moderate travel. Most of my trips I can make do with just packing 2 suits however and wearing one on the way out Sunday. Would have probably been too pricey for me when I was starting out but ended up spending the money anyway and I think you can get them for 200-300? For me makes sense vs spending 100 ever 2 yrs or whatever. I also have a 18" Tumi which I got before the BR which is still a good bag just didn't pack that well for me with the shape and the interior handle bumps.

You may want to do your research now and check out some bags in person at the shops but wait until your first week to purchase unless you know your going out right away. Then you can talk to the experienced people at the firm and figure out what works. For example when I started in the game things were a lot more paper based so the teams would often send a few bankers boxes in advance with supplies etc. Was helpful on longer trips especially to just throw an extra pair on dress shoes or work out clothes. There was also a hotel which we would use a few times a year for a few consecutive weeks so they had no problem keeping printers etc. for us basically year round. It may even still be there in fact lol...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Lots of Briggs & Riley offers on at the moment, including several 20-21" carryons incl. Baseline, which is the most "trad-business-oriented" of their collections. It's been said before on the forum but if traveling internationally, 20 inch B & R is slightly safer than 21 inch B & R, as all B & R measurements refer to the inside of the case not the outside. So you need 1-2 inches spare on the measurement to strictly adhere to international carry-on size of many airlines.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold (MM), Mileage Plus Gold, Skymiles Gold
Okay, I am a consultant. I have been travelling for years (23). My current position is 100% travel. I check my bag. I check it every week. It always shows up where I am (exception is maybe two times per year). As a frequent flyer, I get priority baggage handling which means that my bag shows up very quickly on the carousel. If you are traveling weekly and can stick to one or two airlines, you too will have status quickly.

Checking a bag allows me to not have to be concerned with having make-up, hair and skin products that fit in a quart sized bag. Believe me, you do not want to rely on the quality of hotel provided products if you have any sensitivities. I have carried both Delsey and Tumi bags -- which are, in general, heavy empty. I generally prefer a 20" bag that could be carried on if desired. My biggest issue, whether carried on or checked is the empty weight of the bag. I go through a bag about every two years ... and am still searching for the perfect bag ... the last bag I had that I LOVED was an Antler (http://www.antler.co.uk/) ... light enough to carry-on and strong enough to check ... alas, I no longer get to the UK very much and am not sure if you can get them here in the states ...

Good luck on the new job --- I am sure you will love it!
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:22 pm

Programs: LH FTL, A|club plat, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by jss381
I recently received a Tumi brief case as a graduation present. I know there is so much discussion about brands on this forum, so I don't want to start another thread like that. But my question is, what features should I look for in a good carry on? Does anyone have any good suggestions?
Whoever gave you a Tumi briefcase did a good thing :-) if you are looking for inspiration on what to pack - I just laid out what goes into my Alpha here: http://www.killerconsultant.com/trav...sultant-style/
(some posts on what to wear, shirts, shoes etc. are there as well, but that goes off the point of your questions even more...)

+1 to everyone who said soft suitcase (as in Nylon). Don't do duffels, that just sets you up for crushed stuff.

As for the price range: I found almost no difference in durability between a 30 EUR and a 150 EUR suitcase - the difference is mostly in the interior layout and features.

Funny that nobody has gotten a firm position on "2 vs. 4 wheels" here yet ;-) ... to me, 4 wheels are nice as long as you are tugging the suitcase across smooth airport floor, but when you hit reality (curbs, rough terrain, stairs, etc.), I found the traditional 2 wheels more sturdy and practical.

Last not least: I hope you kicked off your consulting career well, have lots of fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.