Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Laptop Backpack & Carry-On Luggage: What do you use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Hi there!

I'm looking for a new laptop backpack and/or little suitcase/duffel that will be good for making tight connections. What do you use? Any recommendations?

I was spoiled on my last project - direct flight for 4 hours in a 767. I either slept or watched a few movies and it was all gravy.

Now I need to switch airports on 2 short haul flights, going across the border. The plane compartments are smaller, my suitcase just fits but the attendants are always fussing about it before I go in, and it's annoying for both parties to always explain that it'll fit. I'm looking for a change anyway.

- PowerBag (http://www.mypowerbag.com/) was recommended, but I don't see the value in paying that when I can just get a separate, better quality charger and pop it into a nicer bag.
- I currently use a large purse to hold my laptop, but my back is not liking it, as it's monstrous

Cheers!

Erin
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:36 pm

I use a black 19 inch super light rolling suitcase from Vera Bradley. It is light, easily fits clothes for 2-3 days and fits under seat or overhead even on most CRJs and Embraers. It does not fit the CRJ 200 or the Embraer 135-145, where I gate check it. It is even narrow enough to roll down the aisle of most planes so you don't have to carry it on, you can roll it.

I have a variety of Vera Bradley totes/handbags that I slide the laptop/netbook/IPAD (whichever I am taking) into and they ride along comfortably on top of the bag. Some styles, like the new Vera laptop tote is checkpoint friendly, though I have not used it. The Vera Metropolitan style bag fits over the handle of a rolling bag with a trolley sleeve and has a padded section to protect laptop. If interested, check dimensions and reviews on site to see if yours might fit. I mention this as you referenced how heavy your laptop seemed in your handbag.

I like the Vera pleated totes and villager style totes because I can fill them full with chargers, kindle, netbook, etc and they fit easily underseat on the little Embraer 135/145 one seat side that i often find myself using. The totes also have lots of inside pockets to keep things organized.

The Vera bags are all quilted cloth, not leather. This makes them lighter to carry, which I find an advantage. They have lots of bold colors, and busy patterns, but most of their items are available also in a few standard solid colors like black, navy and brown.

Unfortunately, the 19 inch super lite has been discontinued, but Vera does now carry at 17 inch roll along tote with laptop compartment that you might find interesting.

They have a web site of course, www.verabradley.com And Amazon carries Vera as does ebags. (But Vera runs sales that are only on its own site.
My only connection with them is that I own Vera bags and luggage.)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a Tumi T-Tech backpack for my laptop - my back started to hurt too much with a standard messenger-style bag.

My carryon is a 22" Kirkland (Costco) roller bag made to copy Tumi's bag at the time I bought it (12 years ago).
Old Mar 22, 2012, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the Travel Products Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by etomatoes
Hi there!

I'm looking for a new laptop backpack and/or little suitcase/duffel that will be good for making tight connections. What do you use? Any recommendations?

I was spoiled on my last project - direct flight for 4 hours in a 767. I either slept or watched a few movies and it was all gravy.

Now I need to switch airports on 2 short haul flights, going across the border. The plane compartments are smaller, my suitcase just fits but the attendants are always fussing about it before I go in, and it's annoying for both parties to always explain that it'll fit. I'm looking for a change anyway.

- PowerBag (http://www.mypowerbag.com/) was recommended, but I don't see the value in paying that when I can just get a separate, better quality charger and pop it into a nicer bag.
- I currently use a large purse to hold my laptop, but my back is not liking it, as it's monstrous

Cheers!

Erin
In rotation I have a Samsonite black label 19" that isn't sold anymore. I also have a Samonite Lift 21" that is lightweight. I have a Victorinox Avolve 20" Spinner that can hold a laptop in the front pocket. I have a Knomo Genova wheeled laptop case that I love. It's large enough to hold my 15" laptop, medium sized purse, iPad, portfolio pad, Kindle Fire, umbrella, gloves, gadget cords and small enough to go under nearly any seat or overhead bin of small planes. I also have a Travelon ladies checkpoint friendly laptop case, no wheels. This list just goes on and on, Vera Bradley, cheap laptop case from Stein Mart, a Baggallini. I am always searching for that perfect combo of purse/laptop bag/carryon bag.

I recently got a Lipault set, carryon and laptop case in chocolate brown and I thought this was it! When I got it the Lipault carryon didn't work for me so I sent the entire set back. If I ran across something I thought would be a perfect combo tomorrow it would be in the trunk of my car coming home with me. I am not sure there is a support group for luggage addicts but if there is I don't need to and won't be going to it, I don't have an issue.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Mar 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:26 am

I would STRONGLY recommend you check out the products from at tombihn.com.

As I said on my computer laptop backpack thread, I started using the Brain Bag and absolutely love it.

For carry ons in your situation, I would absolutely avoid wheeled stuff. I've got a wheeled tumi carry on and I'm looking ot replace it with either the Tom Bihn Aeronaut or Tri-Star. Their stuff is designed to allow you to travel lightly, quickly and easily.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

hey! Yes, I saw that thread and the Brain Bag is on my short list. However, I'm thinking that something like

http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...inch%20screens

is a bit cleaner/more professional looking for my line of business.

The "Aeronaut" bag for the carry-on seems like a great option!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
I know what you mean by laptops in messengers and your back hurting! I currently use a Timbuk2 laptop bag with a Samsonite 20" hardshell spinner.

The Timbuk2s laptop bags I really like and while some models look a little like urban warfare gear, hey, this is San Francisco so it fits in. Not sure about your locale since from your post, sounds like appearances may be a factor.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
If you do like the Timbuk2 messenger bag, you can pay a little extra and do a totally custom design job on it. Pick your colors or patterns, pick your piping color, your inside color, stuff like that. Sure, they do look a tad urban warfare with the big strap and sizing cam, but it is a comfy carry.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:44 am

I have used a Rimowa Bolero laptop bag, Lufthansa model for many years now.

It is akin to a large multi-pocketed purse, and easily holds a laptop, CD/DVD, cables, and charger, etc., and includes a laptop softcover inside. A shoulder strap was included but we have never used it. There is also ample room also for documents, books, clothes, and it attaches to the handle of most Rimowa carry-on luggage, allowing it to move as one unit quickly and smoothly.

However since 2011, I have also been experimenting with using a tablet, and this seems to be working out quite well. I've been using an IPAD 2 but like the programs and features of my wife's Asus eeeTransformer tablet. She has the clip-on keyboard, but doesn't feel she really needs it. Either of the tablets fit in a softcover, inside a Rimowa Salsa Air carry-on alone.

If one pre-loads and charges the tablet with movies and music ahead of each flight, with a few extra selections along in a flashdrive, you are set.

You can see the LH Bolero case here if you move up to EXTRAS, then select PHOTO GALLERY, then click to the second page. Photo Nr. 4. attached on top of the Rimowa Panamera carry-on case.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM | Marriott Gold | Alaska Gold
As far as a laptop backpack, check out Mobile Edge (mobileedge.com).

I've had one of their backpacks and briefcases now for 5 years - the things are indestructible. Not to mention, they have their scanfast system so getting through security is easy (no having to pull your laptop out and scan it separately from your bag)

For the duffel, I just picked up a new Herschel duffel which has so far been awesome.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:54 am

When traveling with just a backpack with my laptop and clothing, I always use my Oakley Icon 3, hands down the best backpack/laptop bag I have ever owned.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...top-carry.html

If I am traveling with a bag for more than a quick overnight, then it all goes in the Red Oxx Air Boss.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by slidergirl
If you do like the Timbuk2 messenger bag, you can pay a little extra and do a totally custom design job on it. Pick your colors or patterns, pick your piping color, your inside color, stuff like that. Sure, they do look a tad urban warfare with the big strap and sizing cam, but it is a comfy carry.
Oh yeah ... camo patches and the built in bottle opener too! I love their products in general.

Should have been clearer in my original post. I use a Timbuk2 laptop backpack now ... the messenger style was just a pain in the back.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 3:50 pm

I got tired of gate checking my bag a few months ago, when I almost missed a connection because of delays returning the gate checked stuff. I started this thread, which generated a lot of useful information as well as links to other threads asking the same question.

Do you just travel with carry-ons or do you also check? I think that will change what you might want to consider. If you want to carry everything on, I'd recommend looking at soft bags that are the maximum carry-on size (RedOxx Air Boss, Tom Binh TriStar, eBags Motherload etc.) as they will hold a large amount and still fit on a Regional jet. For the personal bag, I'd choose something on wheels. I use a Travelon Bag Bungee to attach a large back pack to the roller through the airport. When I go through the gate, I wear the backpack and carry the tote. The back pack holds the same volume as my 20" roller bag, rides through the airport to spare my back, and fits on the Regional jets.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your input! I only carry-on - my connections can be tight (~50 minutes) so I want to make things as expedient as possible.
I've narrowed down my list:

Carry-On:
http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...115&sec=travel

Combined with:
Tri-Star: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0940
*or*
Brain Bag: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104
*or*
Mobile Edge Backpack: http://www.mobileedge.com/komen-pari...-backpack.html

I see the point raised about avoiding wheeled stuff - I may be a wimp but my current shoulder-bag situation is making my back hurt so the Aeronaut seems impractical for me (until I start pumping iron or grow another foot) unless I stack it on a roller. If I end up getting the Briggs & Riley roller, it'd the Aeronaut may be bigger than necessary and I'd feel selfish for eating up more room - I like your set up with the Tri Star and the B&R roller - seems like it'd fit the tiny cabin!

Last edited by etomatoes; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:51 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.