Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Eagle creek folder - "specter" or regular?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Any one have any experience with the "specter" line of eagle creek stuff?

The lighter weight seems nice (even though I'm rarely subject to weight limits) but I wonder if it is as effective or as durable.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I just used one of the Specter packing cubes on a recent trip and didn't notice any loss of durability. It's still super-strong fabric, just thinner. I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes in your weight or bulk though, especially for the shirt folder. Most of that weight/bulk is your shirts, not the wrapper. Either should be fine--old type or new one.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The difference in weight doesn't add up for me when you add in the additional cost. I prefer items made by EBags especially the packing cubes which weigh less than EC, are available in more colors and are cheaper.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

For the 18 inch folders the difference in weight is about 200 grams (6-8 ounces) (the specs list 8 and 16 ounces but 254 and 454 ounces....).
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-folder-18/d/1091
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-sp...8/d/1142_c_211
The weight difference is partially fabric, and partially the folding boards - the specter has holes in the board. (the specs also list the specter as being slightly narrower, at least when measured in cm).

The price difference is also fairly small - $4 or so at the current ebags sale prices.

The specter specs also state it's water resistant, which is good should something spill inside a bag. But, it probably means it breathes less, which probably isn't great.

I ended up ordering both and will compare and return one, but I'm still curious if anyone has thoughts or experiences.
Old May 21, 2012, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Arrived today.

The metric weights are right - the specter is about 10 ounces, and the regular 16.

The specter has it's bottom plastic sheet integrated, while on the regular the plastic sheet is in a pocket. If the rigidity of the folder isn't important, then you can actually get the regular to weigh less than the specter by removing both plastic sheets. The specter has fabric trim around the edge of the folding sheet, presumably because the edges of the thinner plastic it uses might catch fabric.

Fabric wise, there is the breath-ability vs waterproof trade off above. Both are washable. And an in the end, the specter feels like the silnylon it is - thin, almost stretching in your hand while the regular feels more sturdy and stiff.

If I regularly cared about weight and wanted to use two plastic sheets then the specter is the way to go. Otherwise, I don't see the reason to pay up for the specter.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:40 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
I'm a fan of packing cubes like this. Was looking at the specter line on EagleCreek's site and at REI. Both places have them on sale for 25% off.

Got sidetracked by the Sea to Summit cubes though. Stupidly expensive but with the REI anniversary sale...hmmmm.....

I really don't need these - my new mantra.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alief
I'm a fan of packing cubes like this. Was looking at the specter line on EagleCreek's site and at REI. Both places have them on sale for 25% off.

Got sidetracked by the Sea to Summit cubes though. Stupidly expensive but with the REI anniversary sale...hmmmm.....

I really don't need these - my new mantra.
Ebags has the folders for the same prices - with free shipping and returns, if you want the ability to change your mind later...
Old May 22, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by oshelef
Ebags has the folders for the same prices - with free shipping and returns, if you want the ability to change your mind later...
Normally, I would say go with REI. Same great return policy plus I like to touch/hold/see/feel my stuff before I plunk down my cash. However, they are sold out in my local (and probably many local) stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.