Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

A carry-on spinner with a suiter that fits international sizers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

I have a back injury and want to get a carry-on spinner (so I am not bearing weight while I shlep around airports and hotels) that can a) hold a suit; and b) fit in international sizers (which are a bit smaller than US domestic size restrictions). I fly to LHR a few times a year, which seems to be the strictest, in the next month I will be going to Sao Paulo, Paris, and Venice (I think through LHR). I like to be able to take one suit in the suitcase and wear another one so I have two days worth of suits -- that enables me to make it for a week if need be.

I have a two-wheeled Tumi 22021, which does all that but only has two wheels.

Is there such a suitcase? I was looking at a Samsonite 20" Silhouette Sphere Widebody, which might work. I can't tell if it fits international restrictions. Are there others?
Old May 17, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I fly to LHR a few times a year, which seems to be the strictest
Remember, the restrictions are put in place by the airline you're flying with, not the airport. Some airlines have a weight limit as well as a size limit.

I would vote (of course I would) for the Rimowa cabin baggage (55cm x 40cm x 20cm). You can definitely get a suit and a week's worth of clothes in there.

If you are flying with BA (and only BA) and need extra space, they allow a larger size bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm which gives you some flexibility. They also allow a 23kg weight limit for carry-on but you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself.

And finally, make sure you get the 4-wheel versions!
Old May 17, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by NeverFirst:20764940
I fly to LHR a few times a year, which seems to be the strictest
If you are flying with BA (and only BA) and need extra space, they allow a larger size bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm which gives you some flexibility. They also allow a 23kg weight limit for carry-on but you must be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself.

And finally, make sure you get the 4-wheel versions!
A few years back LHR was very strict but these days, ironically, it's maybe the least. If it's only LHR, a domestic US piece is fine - like a BR U176.

That larger Rimowa is a fantastic size - if one could travel with it, a week is a no brainer - I drool every time I see it. Problem is, outside of BA (and a few others including, surprisingly, U2) it's not carry-on.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a small duffel made to those dimensions just for airlines that allow that size. Make your personal item the roller (BR cabin bag or small Rimowa) and you can max carry-on in those circumstances. For a suit, I've modified a packing cube with some hard sides so I can fold slacks and a jacket into it (no wrinkles then) and it packs into a duffel, etc easily.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
NeverFirst and HMN57, thanks. That is very helpful. I fly lots of places on lots of airlines. Flying out of Boston, I take BA and sometimes LH or Swiss to Europe, AA and B6 but also US and UA (the old Continental routes to EWR and IAH), and also SQ, CX, Malaysian and TAM. So, I can't count on just BA. It is true that LHR was very strict. That is what I remember, but since my Tumi fits, I have never been stopped.

Two questions:

1. Does the Rimowa at 21,7 x 15,7 x 7,9 inch actually work internationally (that is, are you able to take them on as carry-ons)? Do these measurements include the wheels (and handle)?
2. What do you do with toiletries as there are no external pockets when you are going through security with a hard-sided suitcase like this? Do you have to unzip the suitcase to take out the toiletry kit?

I guess that's four questions.

JMN, Does the packing cube work? One of my business colleagues said his mother taught him to roll a suit and he comes looking relatively unrumpled. Does the duffel then slip over the rolling briefcase?
Old May 17, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
NeverFirst and HMN57, thanks. That is very helpful. I fly lots of places on lots of airlines. Flying out of Boston, I take BA and sometimes LH or Swiss to Europe, AA and B6 but also US and UA (the old Continental routes to EWR and IAH), and also SQ, CX, Malaysian and TAM. So, I can't count on just BA. It is true that LHR was very strict. That is what I remember, but since my Tumi fits, I have never been stopped.

Two questions:

1. Does the Rimowa at 21,7 x 15,7 x 7,9 inch actually work internationally (that is, are you able to take them on as carry-ons)? Do these measurements include the wheels (and handle)?
2. What do you do with toiletries as there are no external pockets when you are going through security with a hard-sided suitcase like this? Do you have to unzip the suitcase to take out the toiletry kit?

I guess that's four questions.

JMN, Does the packing cube work? One of my business colleagues said his mother taught him to roll a suit and he comes looking relatively unrumpled. Does the duffel then slip over the rolling briefcase?
I have a Rimowa Salsa and the dimensions do include the grips and the wheels. I've never been on an international leg (almost all AA and BA though) where it would not fit in an overhead.

As to the toiletries issue, I also use a Tumi Alpha 22" sometimes. It has 2 exterior front zip pockets. But I never use them. Instead I just have the 1-quart ziploc in the computer case carryon. That way I have to open only 1 bag to take things out for screening. When I'm done with that, I'll stow the ziploc in the Salsa or Tumi, whichever I'm using. Lately I've not used a computer case.

Instead, I have gone real simple with a Red Oxx ES Aviator. I just got a sleeve for my 11" Air, and use some small cubes for other things I put in there. I never used all the pockets in the computer case anyway. The ziploc goes in the ES Aviator also and this system works well for me. The ES Aviator has a huge capacity for its small size.

http://www.redoxx.com/Aviator-Duffel...XS/150/Product

Last edited by AATrout; May 17, 2013 at 9:48 am
Old May 17, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
When I pack slacks/jackets into the cube (I use a BR cube I bought at Lexington Luggage that may have been a promotional item and modified it with some plastic - I posted some pictures in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...y-train-2.html ) The picture is of an Eagle Creek cube (it works too) but I prefer the BR cube.

I invert the jacket so the inside is out and then "roll" (really it's more a fold but gently) and then roll the slacks around it. Then bundle gets put in the cube and the cube's hard sides keep it from compressing. It comes out very well. My only complaint with it is that it takes some time and care and if I am scrambling in the AM it slows one down a bit. You can pack it the night before but I tend not to because I feel (probably unfounded) that letting it sit overnight might create more creases.

What is nice is that it allows taking a jacket in a duffel or more casual piece of luggage.

I haven't had a duffel made to those dimensions but yes, it would fit over the roller. I contacted RedOxx to see if they would make that for me but they said they no longer do custom pieces. What is nice about this approach is that you can get different size bags for different trips/airlines. The RedOxx Aviator bags are great and cheap for this. They have a max domestic size (22x8x11) for $35 which is cheap. Since they are duffels, they store very compact.

BTW - you are right - the big downside with hardsided luggage is where to put the 3-1-1- bag. PreCheck makes that less an issue but yesterday I had to US BOS-PHL and, of course, no PreCheck at Logan.
Old May 17, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
I have a two-wheeled Tumi 22021, which does all that but only has two wheels.
A spinner tends to do just that... less controllable over carpet and uneven surfaces than a two wheel. Not to mention the wheels are lesser quality and more likely to break off.

IMO you already have the best bag for the job.
Old May 19, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Yes the measurements include wheels and handles. For the toiletries I either carry them in my "personal item" (my briefcase) or I just pack them last in the case between the two halves of the clamshells.

You have to undo the suitcase but if you pack it right you can just slip out the plastic baggy. I don't find it at all inconvenient, and it takes no longer than fishing in my pockets for my passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.