Wiki Posts
Search

Good Luggage Locks?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 9:37 pm

Good luggage locks?

Strongly suggest you look at the ClipLok here:

www.origineering.com.au

This lock works with security agencies all around the world - not just the USA.^
Old Jun 7, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: United, SPG
I just got these locks the other day on Amazon. Really cheap, ships Prime, TSA approved, and high quality. Highly recommend.
Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:33 am

I don't see luggage locks as being to stop people getting into your luggage if they really want to, i see them as a mechanism to stop people putting drugs or other dodgey things into your luggage when its near you.

e.g. your waiting to go through the gate and check in and are having a coffee with your bag on the floor. Without a lock, it would be easy for anyone to unzip your luggage just a few centimetres and put something in it whilst you are right there

And yes i don't put anything truly valuable in my checked in luggage
Old Jun 8, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
For my non-Rimowa luggage, I just use cheap bulk store zip ties. Luggage locks always get broken off or snipped off. I was tired of buying them at $5-$10 each.

a zip tie is just as much a deterrent as a lock. Not because it stops determined thieves but because its just that little bit harder than bags with no lock or zip ties. My main reason is to prevent the "yard sale" on the carousel.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Use http://www.tamperseal.com/searchaler...ock-p-187.html with a Pelican case. Check http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=910667 why. I have a Pelican 1620 and two of these, it's absolutely brutal. I rarely use it though because the Pelican is so heavy.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Post pasted in from the parallel thread on TSA Locking:

I'm currently using yellow ties from Ebay that would be hard to even casually swap. Not had a single one has been broken yet.

And the answer to my query when I asked "How to open the bag" on FT, is to get a small pair of nail clippers and carry them in your hand luggage. You can even use them to clip your nails! I keep them in a Ziplock bag with some ties and only use that set to "lock" my bags. That way I know I won't be locked out when I arrive.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:56 am

Today it is not only about protecting the contents of your bag but you also have to be aware that some use checked bags as mules for contraband. The limitation of zip ties and most locks you may not be aware if your bag was entered. I use this 2 zip tie method and I will know immediately if my bag was entered. On my last trip one of the zip ties was missing and at the luggage carousal I opened my bag. I found the friendly letter from TSA they searched my bag.

Shak

Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by tfar
Lucky ....... is all.

Till
==================

I don't know so much.
we in '70's. Travel O Seas on a holiday for 2 ish monthsw, every yr for last 5 yrs.Plus regular travel to US.Canada and Uk/Ireland.Thailand for prev 40 yrs or so.

Always travelled with Qantas or their affiliates.
In that time. one plane flight delayed. one plane missed. (Missus mixed up dates) on a trip for me to UK Alaska Canada and back home.
Lost me three days of holiday is all.

Only damage or loss was one suitcase misplaced, Delivered to Thailand following flight with apologies.

and last trip.
Case lost in Aus t'ween Rocky and Brissie. finally arrived in N.C US. 4 days later with one corner wheel torn off and no apologies at all.

That's our tale for over 40 yrs travelling. so they not all thieves. Just the unfortunate few.

As you say. It's mostly airport staff that are the problem.

I always use zip ties. closing the slides and connecting them to handle loop of cases.
Outside pockets have same but never carry anything important in there.

Pretty much a waste of time and money doing anything more.
Just have GOOD travel insurance and carry ALL valuables in person or in carry on luggage.
I've always worn a body belt with passport and finances/cards in there.

Anything else is just bad luck I reckon. As I said
Good insurance covers 99% of anything.

PS
I had very expensive stainless steel combination locks on one trip
$60 AUD each x 4.
They'd disappeared by Bangkok. Nuff sed.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
On a recent trip (returning from Anchorage, Alaska to Southern California), our TSA-approved luggage lock vanished from my wife's checked bag. (I don't lock mine.)

I assume that the TSA opened her lock to check the bag and then forgot to replace the lock.

Moral to the story: don't spend a lot on luggage locks. They're throw-aways.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
We carried some colorful (yellow, orange, red & green - for high visibility, avoiding the generic black or clear ones) zip ties, inexpensive & easy to secure (and, "unlock" with a small nail clipper, or, in a pinch - lighted match or flame via a cigarette lighter, when safe to do) - IMO, best luggage lock for our travel use as YMMV.

The "strongest" luggage locks sold are no match for a well leveraged but small bolt cutter, pry bar or pair of good vice grips, etc. Have had our Delsey's checked roller's zipper pull tabs - with TSA lock - broken/clipped. DW's "Rioni" TSA-approved lock only served as a decoy when her bag is placed in the overhead bin on long hauls. If some decided to cut the plastic ties, they are welcomed to some of the non-valuable contents inside, DW's small Coach bag has been fine thus far while taken for leisure travel.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: United, SPG
I'm a big fan of TravelMore TSA Locks.

They come in bright colors, TSA approved, and have a lifetime warranty.

One time TSA damaged my lock and I emailed TravelMore and they replaced it, no questions asked.

http://travelmore.co/products/combin...a-luggage-lock

Last edited by onesweetworld; Nov 25, 2015 at 7:20 pm Reason: Added photo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.