Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

what carry-on makes someone a sophisticated traveller?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what carry-on makes someone a sophisticated traveller?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:45 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by Swissaire
Granted, a Vertu is a very sophisiicated mobile phone.

Unless you refer to it as your Handy, ( as do our cousins North of the frontier ) or have one covered in Swarovski stones. .
It would certainly grant you a pass to the "I just wasted an outrageous amount of money on a blinged-out communication device" club.

"Nouveau riche" springs to mind.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:36 am

Sophisticated vs. Smart

I'd be more likely to judge a persons travel prowess by how smart they traveled... size of carry-on, location of seat, ease at which they navigate the travel experience, etc. and less on the brand of luggage they carry.

In fact, If they carried some crazy brand name I would be more likely to think that they were an insecure traveller/person and were over compensating...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:19 pm

Well, there are a few definitions of "Sophisticated".
One that would seem to apply here is;
Having a refined knowledge of the ways of the world cultivated especially through wide experience

Walking around airports toting a Louis Vuitton in one hand, a Vertu cell phone in the other while sporting an Armani blazer with a Hermes Cravat may "appear" to be sophisticated to some. Others would find it simply gauche.

Because "sophisticated" may have a slightly different meaning between people, it's hard to define. Each will judge sophistication on their own merit.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:36 pm

Actually a cravat is a very practical, unisex, and elegant item here in Europe.

It warms the neck in cooler weather, and is worn as sort of a cross between scarves and silk ties. Acceptable in most good restaurants with a jacket but in lieu of a tie.

There was a time when flying First Classe required a jacket, at least for Interliners.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
Actually a cravat is a very practical, unisex, and elegant item here in Europe.

It warms the neck in cooler weather, and is worn as sort of a cross between scarves and silk ties. Acceptable in most good restaurants with a jacket but in lieu of a tie.

There was a time when flying First Classe required a jacket, at least for Interliners.
Good points.

In a way, I miss the days of required jacket and tie (or cravat).
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:49 pm

Having someone else take care of your carry-ons.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
Good points.

In a way, I miss the days of required jacket and tie (or cravat).
I, on the other hand, do not miss that.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I, on the other hand, do not miss that.
I respect your point of view.

I fear it's gone too far the opposite. I'm seeing a lot of sweatpants, curlers in the hair (yes, I've seen this), and people that look like they just rolled out of bed. It would not hurt to have some self-esteem when out in public. How hard can it be to shave, comb your hair and pull on a pair of pants?

Unfortunately, your point of view is the rule of the day. When you have PAX that could not be bothered to even put on clothes for travel, other than the sweats they slept in, then I guess it is what it is.

I did have a PAX next to me in first once tell me she was upset because First Class looked like steerage. She happened to look like she just stepped out of a Vogue Magazine ad. She commented that I was wearing a suit and she liked the fact that I was. I told her I had to, since I had a business meeting the moment I got to the airport, grabbed a cab, and got to the meeting place.

Honestly, for the last few years of flying, I do not wear a jacket or tie. Jeans or Khaki and a nice shirt is my standard fare. But I do not wear sweats, not even for my ORD to HNL flights that I take quite often.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I respect your point of view.

I fear it's gone too far the opposite. I'm seeing a lot of sweatpants, curlers in the hair (yes, I've seen this), and people that look like they just rolled out of bed. It would not hurt to have some self-esteem when out in public. How hard can it be to shave, comb your hair and pull on a pair of pants?

Unfortunately, your point of view is the rule of the day. When you have PAX that could not be bothered to even put on clothes for travel, other than the sweats they slept in, then I guess it is what it is.

I did have a PAX next to me in first once tell me she was upset because First Class looked like steerage. She happened to look like she just stepped out of a Vogue Magazine ad. She commented that I was wearing a suit and she liked the fact that I was. I told her I had to, since I had a business meeting the moment I got to the airport, grabbed a cab, and got to the meeting place.

Honestly, for the last few years of flying, I do not wear a jacket or tie. Jeans or Khaki and a nice shirt is my standard fare. But I do not wear sweats, not even for my ORD to HNL flights that I take quite often.
I typically dress as you describe. So it isnt that I think people should wear curlers.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when there is no dress code there is no dress code
social standards are a bigger issue
the REAL problem is not enforcing rules, like dress codes
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
The nicest Rimowa, B&R, Tumi- shoved in a bin sideways screams "amateur."
...Or, alternatively, "selfish git"
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:36 pm

..while others, like me, go for hand made heirloom designs by smaller companies like J.W. Hulme made of fine leather.
Plus the rest of us are not gonna hand over our fine tooled luggage to airline baggage handlers. That keeps me in the B+R territory.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:44 pm

I typically walk around airports toting my Louis Vuitton in one hand and my Vertu cell phone in the other sporting an Armani blazer with a Hermes Cravat while asking passers-by in my heavy French Accent... "Pardon me, but, do you know where I could get a decent flute of Veuve Clicquot before my first class flight to Paris?"

Most casual travelers often say, "WOW! He's such a SOPHISTICATED traveler!"
OK robbierunner, that's enuf ! or, should I say, e-naff!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:45 pm

I typically walk around airports toting my Louis Vuitton in one hand and my Vertu cell phone in the other sporting an Armani blazer with a Hermes Cravat while asking passers-by in my heavy French Accent... "Pardon me, but, do you know where I could get a decent flute of Veuve Clicquot before my first class flight to Paris?"

Most casual travelers often say, "WOW! He's such a SOPHISTICATED traveler!"
OK RobbieRunner, that's enuf ! or, should I say, that's e-naff!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
[putting a bag into the overhead bin sideways?]
ive had to do that to get a B&R to fit
Wrong B+R then! Failed! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.