Reload this Page >

Leakproof travel bottles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leakproof travel bottles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:05 pm

Whatever bottle you use, squeeze it before putting the cap on; not so much that it permanently deforms, but enough that it's under negative internal pressure even when the cabin/hold pressure is lower at altitude. That's usually enough to make even the cheapo Target/Walmart bottles not leak.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AmberR108
Not to sound high-maintenance, but do you know if they're BPA free?

They look super handy but I'd want to use them for multiple purposes outside of shampoo, conditioner and face wash.
LDPE is BPA free. E.g. http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...r+bottles.html

Though I'm not sure whether scotch would end up tasting like plastic if you used these.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That link is very helpful, thanks! Although from the description it sounds like it's probably going to taste like plastic.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Another unhappy gotube user

They leak, and I'm extremely careful now to make sure everything is secure. By the time I fill, fiddle with tops, test squeeze and put in a baggie, just in case, I could have had an old fashioned nalgene filled. Also, shape not conducive to optimizing your 311 volume.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Try here for the Nalgene.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Cool site! For me, still looks cheaper at my local REI though. Are there any better bottles here that I can't get there, like 3oz bottles? All I see in our size range are 1oz, 2oz, 4oz.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Camelbaks always work.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blackmamba
Camelbaks always work.
The smallest I see them offer is a 0.6l (~20oz) bottle. That doesn't exactly fit in your quart size baggie. :-)
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Biblioman1
Well I learned my lesson on GoToobs. Yes - easy to fill and proved leakproof on my lengthy trip, however, (and this may have been an obvious outcome to anyone else) the high end scotch I decanted into a few tasted like pure plastic when used. Very disappointing. Water from my large Nalgene bottles tastes fine, so I suppose smaller versions as you describe might have fit my needs better.
Humangear has a list of not recommended http://humangear.com/GoToob_Fluids_Care.html which includes "Single Malt Scotch Whiskey [Bummer, we know!]"

Refilling minis or buying glass lab ware would be the not so glamorous way http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-bottle...item4ce22fd486

Personally, I find the Muji ones to fit well in quart sized bags
http://www.muji.us/store/travel/packing.html
I'm pretty sure they have one with a screw off top that would hold thin liquids just fine. They sell their own toner in travel sizes with the same type of bottle.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by aschuett
Cool site! For me, still looks cheaper at my local REI though. Are there any better bottles here that I can't get there, like 3oz bottles? All I see in our size range are 1oz, 2oz, 4oz.
Nalgene travel bottles are also available quite cheaply at the Container Store if you have one of those nearby...
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

just ask for a few empties from your friendly local pharmacy. if you want to keep TSA far away from them, paste skull and crossbone labels, or radioactive labels on them............................
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by slawecki
if you want to keep TSA far away from them, paste skull and crossbone labels, or radioactive labels on them............................
A sure way to get more than just a friendly fondle from your TSA buddy.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Great tips!
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
there's http://www.easytravelerinc.com/ works for me.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:18 am

Yeah, I'm looking for new bottles, too. I've got some from REI that don't leak, but they can be a pain to fill. My criteria is....

1. They don't leak. Ever.

2. Easy to fill, have a wide mouth.

3. Squeezable

I think Container Store has some that might fit the bill, gonna stop by there this week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.