FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Quick Drying Socks? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1305668-quick-drying-socks.html)

bhatnasx Jan 22, 2012 8:55 pm

Quick Drying Socks?

In trying to become an even more ultra-light traveler, I've invested in sink-washing, quick drying boxers and quick drying undershirts - both of which I love.

Now I'm trying to find socks that can be easily washed in the sink & line-dry overnight.

Given my normal travel clothes, I'm thinking 2 pairs of brown, 2 pair of ankle whites, and 2 pairs of black should cover 100% of my needs (black for business trips & brown/white for casual trips).

Anyone familiar or try the Tilly socks or the J.B. Expedition Adventure socks? Or any other quick-drying socks that can be worn with a suit and/or jeans and/or shorts (hence the interest in white ankle socks - good for hiking/adventure travel)?

Suggestion appreciated! :)

cordelli Jan 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Any of the cheap synthetic socks will dry pretty quickly. Places like BJ's, Walmart, etc have them in bundles for very little money, usually cheap enough to consider them disposable.

slawecki Jan 23, 2012 6:11 am

i find my pretty thick cottons dry overnight when laid out over the lampshade. they also provide some needed moisture to the room. good cushioning for tour walking also.

februaryfour Jan 23, 2012 7:32 am

REI has some fantastic Smartwool socks good for hiking etc, two or three wears if you aren't someone with stinky feet, and dries quickly overnight when wet, as long as you leave it out in the open.

augkor Jan 23, 2012 8:13 am

I use the Tilley socks. They work as advertised. You can find cheaper socks that will dry overnight, but I find the Tilley socks to be really well made and comfortable. They are not thick socks but they have a little more "body" than normal thin dress socks.

xtal Jan 23, 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 17867518)
Any of the cheap synthetic socks will dry pretty quickly. Places like BJ's, Walmart, etc have them in bundles for very little money, usually cheap enough to consider them disposable.

I'd agree with the above. In fact, many of my cheaper socks have ended up being the most comfortable, and have lasted much longer than my Smartwool ones.

oldpenny16 Jan 23, 2012 7:02 pm

We have IceBreaker, Tilley and Smartwool. Much regular use and no problems. Yes to wringing them out in a towel and hanging them out to dry.

The IceBreaker seem to dry a little more quickly.

I use super cheap socks for going through the TSA and then pitch them.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Jan 24, 2012 9:56 am

Although I have only one pair, running socks (which aren't cheap) are super soft and comfortable, and dry really fast.

Hoyaheel Jan 24, 2012 7:09 pm

I love smartwool for travel! Can often get good deals at outlet centers, also online at places like sierratradingpost.com.....

Autolycus Jan 25, 2012 11:52 am

I definitely recommend smartwool socks. They have a variety of styles to fit all types of activities, including business attire. They are fairly odor-resistant, don't cause blisters when damp, and are generally very comfortable in a wider temp range than cotton or many synthetics. They can be ordered from smartwool.com, REI or any number of other online sites and can be found at most outdoor stores in addition to some other sporting goods and department stores.

Undershirts23 Apr 5, 2013 2:04 pm

Undershirts

I have tried out a lot of different undershirts and my favorite one by far is www.tridri.net

They never smell bad (even after use), and they are very light.

They have V necks and crew necks

klew97 Apr 5, 2013 3:01 pm

Perhaps consider sock liners - they are thin socks that you can wear under your normal dress socks (also popular with hikers) that may help your outer socks last longer between washings. Since the inner liners are thin, they will wash easily and dry faster.

frankmu Apr 6, 2013 11:54 pm

I wear Jobst compression stocking on a long flight, they dry quickly after a wash in the sink.

Earthlings Apr 7, 2013 12:05 am

Costco has some nice socks that are similar to Smartwool. Look there if they still have them if you are a member.

Dianne47 Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Fox River is my favorite brand for travel socks. Their main web page has a "sock finder" feature where you can specify quick dry. My search turned up this page:

http://www.foxsox.com/Catalog/search...=&stylenumber=