Do I invest on the bag or in the bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold

I have a $500 budget

How should I invest my money on travel items for a upcoming business trip to China. On bags, or items to go into bags. Want to save as much as possible. Willing to purchase new carryons, wheeled cabin travel bags, computer bags, travel clothing, technology, comfort items etc.

I’m concerned about the long flights DTW-HKG non stop, and PVG DTW non stop (want to maximize comfort and avoid DVT) Proper packing method and About packing proper business attire for China, packing effectively for changing hotels every few days and flying within China

About me:

49 yr old family man domestic travel guy anxious and excited about my first international business trade mission to China
Priorities: Staying in touch with family Wife and kids 3-5-14, Being able to maximize business opportunities and connections, taking in some sights and photos, Getting some unique gifts for family Maybe Having a some shirts made

Where I’m going:
Hong Kong – Dongguan – Shenzhen – Shanghai – Ningbo – Kunshan – Shanghai over 16 Days March – April 2012 Meeting with political and business leaders

What I have:
Costco Kirkland Carry on (Older version) Briggs and Riley Transcend 20" Wide Body Briggs and Riley Transcend Cabin Duffle Eagle Creek Pack it Folder, Eagle Creek Full and Half Cubes

FYI I’d like to take my macbook air, Ipad, a phone, camera,

What do I need? What are some nice to haves?
Researching here I’m thinking about some power converter, a rolling cabin bag, Scottevest Jacket, Exoffico underwear, some travel socks, Some travel laundry items, collapsible water bottle, business type shoes that are good for all the walking I'll do. Travel jackets, pants or shirts that will hold up?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Maps
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:14 am

I find electrical outlets and electricity to be one of the biggest challenges internationally. I'd recommend making sure that everything you take is dual voltage so you don't have to worry about transformers. A plug adapter and power strip are very handy. It's not unusual for the only plug in the room to have the lamp, so being able to plug the lamp into your surge protector can solve a lot of problems.

It took me awhile to figure it out, but a small cube with all of the little stuff you want on an airplane makes it easy to unpack at your seat and still find stuff later. Mine has my iPod, wet wipes, lotion, chap stick, eye drops, audio adapter for older planes, pen, flavored creamer packs, and ear plugs. It's about the size of a paper back book and saves me from having to haul out my carry on ten times while flying. If you like reading, you might look into getting an electronic reader, like the Kindle or Sony. You can bring a whole library with you in a device that's smaller than a Reader's Digest. The battery lasts for a couple of books or a couple of weeks, so you wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice on the plane.

I wouldn't expect elevators and escalators everyplace you need to haul your luggage. It's almost inevitable that you'll have times on your journey where you have to pick up everything you own and carry it all up the stairs or across the cobblestones. I have a duffle bag that folds up small into its front pocket. I slip that into the suitcase for the outbound trip and stuff it full of clothes for the return. It lets me use my suitcase to protect the unique gifts without being overburdened in my travels.

Have you looked at the luggage restrictions for the flights within China? In Europe, the regional airlines are limiting carry-ons by weight, even if the meet the size guidelines.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 8:55 am

The OP's post is thoughtful, anticipating challenges, maximizing comforts. An exciting trip to be planning!

[QUOTE=Megn;17863048]I find electrical outlets and electricity to be one of the biggest challenges internationally. I'd recommend making sure that everything you take is dual voltage so you don't have to worry about transformers. A plug adapter and power strip are very handy. It's not unusual for the only plug in the room to have the lamp, so being able to plug the lamp into your surge protector can solve a lot of problems.

I also liked to take an extension cord. For China, you could by one once you get there - it will then have the right plug and voltage.

Sylvia
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Some airlines in China has some very strict weight limits on luggage, I would check and keep that in mind when you are purchasing and packing for your trip. Both carry on and checked can have limits.

Find that out first, as it may be significantly limiting to your plans.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
This is the kind of travel I frequently do, although never meeting with "political leaders" so I don't ever have to worry about a suit. As for luggage and packing, the long legs are not the problem, it's the short flights!

I use my Costo roll aboard. Leave with the expansion zipped closed, return with it expanded. Sometimes, I carry another empty bag for the return trip.

For the intracountry flights, you should plan to carry on, although as mentioned above, frequently you will have to check due to overhead space or weight restrictions.

Obviously, you will have to do laundry at some point for a 16 day trip.

One thing to consider is if you are going somewhere for one/two days and then returning is to leave your large luggage at the hotel, and just take a "day pack" with you.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
A ScotteVest might be a bit more practical for carrying valuables on you as the weather will be "warming" up a bit by late March in southern China vs. ScotteJacket - not sure if you are doing intra-China flying or via HST between some of the cites mentioned. (Trains have very generous allowance vs. flying as long as you can wheeled them, carried them on your back & "vest" them along safely and comfortably - and out of picketpockets in crowded places in crowded places as a matter of common sense.)

Domestic airlines have fairly similar restrictions & allowance, using CA as an example (code share with UA) - coach is 20 kg or 44 lbs while J is 30 kg or 66 lbs. with same combined size limitation)

+100 ^ Packing tubes are very useful to organize both for checked & carryon as you move from hotel to hotel, city to city, living out of the bags. Laundry (same day dropoff-pickup) can be done inexpensively by the pounds in H.K. instead of hotel prices by the pieces - easy to find them near the MTR stations on side streets) but we always throw in a few packets of Woodlite for DIY.

In HK and China, the old custom of dressing to impress for success is still true, given your "mission" so invest in 1 or 2 sets of silk shirts & ties to accessorize your suit. Having a bilingual business ("calling") card prepared ahead of arrival or ready before you leave to present can ease your introduction as well.

As for staying in touch - you might want to use/take along an unlocked GSM smartphone with data/WiFi access, pick up an inexpensive dual local phone number China Mobile prepaid Sim card to be easily reached while you are traveling (mine has relatively inexpensive/cheap IDD direct direct rates to the US and dirty cheap local calling allowance.) For family/business calls - setup Skype ahead.

If you forget or need anything on the road, practically anything and everything can be purchased either/or in HK or Shanghai.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Qatar Airways Privilege, Clan LoganAir
I'd suggest you plan on working with the luggage you already have, and invest in a couple of simple, crease-resistant, light weight/ dark colour suits. If your trip is going to be primarily business I wouldn't worry too much about "travel" clothing, except the Ex Officio underwear, which is excellent. In my limited experience of doing business with the Chinese they seem appreciate quiet well-dressed conservatism over any attempt at fashion. A second suit allows the other to be off at the cleaners at any time, and as you will probably be attending various dinners in your suit, the need for dry cleaning is more than likely. If I am travelling on business and need to look smarter than usual I take a couple of double-cuff shirts and cufflinks. Re packing, my only advice is to take several ziplok bags (for small items and any liquids), and a few plastic (laundry-type) bags to keep dirty clothes separate from clean.

Off topic a bit, but if you are staying at the same hotel in Shanghai both times you might consider shipping some your clothes there direct, and flying over only with what you will need for the first half of the trip. That might enable you to travel with just a carry-on, which is always a huge advantage. Then just pack up the stuff you have been using and ship that back at the end of the trip, together with all the presents you have bought. As others have said, check out the baggage allowances for the internal airlines you will be using, which may well be tiny.

On what to buy/take: presents for hosts (a topic in itself); imodium or your choice of remedy plus something reliable for headaches; favourite music to chill out with when it all gets a bit overwhelming and far from home, along with some magazines and books on your ipad; a pair of really good earphones; plenty of storage cards for your camera; lots of pics of your family and home to show people; a set of spare passport photographs; good earplugs (sanity preservers); an unlocked 3g mobile phone into which you can put local SIM cards. A pair of slip-on shoes (like the Ecco Walker 2 for example) which are comfortable, smart enough for business and tough enough for sightseeing. As others have said, check your electricity needs and get any adapters/transformers in advance.

For the flight, you don't say which class you are flying but as ever, get up and move about from time to time, drink plenty of water, tune yourself in to China time if possible.

Above all, business purposes notwithstanding, have fun and bring back a heap of good memories.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mapsgl
I’m concerned about the long flights DTW-HKG non stop, and PVG DTW non stop (want to maximize comfort and avoid DVT) Proper packing method and About packing proper business attire for China, packing effectively for changing hotels every few days and flying within China
Are you traveling biz class?

Priorities: Staying in touch with family Wife and kids 3-5-14, Being able to maximize business opportunities and connections, taking in some sights and photos, Getting some unique gifts for family Maybe Having a some shirts made
Skype is absolute must.
In Shanghai, read this:
http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/MDForum...-t-76434.phtml

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hanghai+fabric

[B]Where I’m going:
Hong Kong – Dongguan – Shenzhen – Shanghai – Ningbo – Kunshan – Shanghai over 16 Days March – April 2012 Meeting with political and business leaders
Keep in mind southern china is much warmer/humid; Shanghai, etc. might still be cool at that time of year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.