Reload this Page >

Best Rolling Bag for Smaller Regional Jets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Rolling Bag for Smaller Regional Jets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by agp423
I meant to ask if it will fit an ERJ-145.
No way, not even close...
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
No way, not even close...
+1 - That Rimowa will be put into the baggage hold.

BTW - I recently purchased the new eBags EXO 2.0 Hardside Spinner Office. It should pack my business needs and some clothing basics for a short trip on an RJ. We'll see tomorrow as its first trip includes an ERJ-145.

Added: Just completed two flights with the eBags EXO 2.0 Hardside Spinner Office - it (barely) fits in the BC side overhead compartment of an AA Eagle ERJ-145. No need to gate check it.

Last edited by JMN57; Sep 8, 2014 at 9:45 am Reason: added info
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by halfroev2s
Some regional jet airlines have a "no carry on" policy in order to get more passengers on. They negotiate with the FAA that they won't allow rollaboards of any size in the cabin in order to lower the "average" passenger weight used to calculate the "cabin" weight. That is why your carryon is refused in the cabin, even though it will probably fit in the overhead bin. That is a very good reason to travel with a Tom Bihn Tristar.
Exactly!! Any number of rolling bags fit, but at least with United many FAs claim that if it has wheels it MUST be gate checked, no matter how small. Very frustrating.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Exactly!! Any number of rolling bags fit, but at least with United many FAs claim that if it has wheels it MUST be gate checked, no matter how small. Very frustrating.
I have found this to be most true with Express Jet. Most of the other regionals I fly seem to be tolerant of a small bag/large computer bag/office bag with wheels coming on board as opposed to suitcase/roll-on-board which they do insist to gate check.

In regards to the Brookstone Dash Rolling Office, I have had minimal trouble with the bag and it fits in the overhead bin of all the regionals from E145, CRJ200 and up. Not sure if that was the one which another poster absolutely didn't like or if they had the Dash suitcase version (for me the link to the review was no longer valid) . My rolling office had been on over 250 flights over course of little over a year and only trouble I had was telescoping handle was beginning to stick. So I got a new one which now has about 90 segments on its wheels and still rolling along.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:25 pm

Regional Jets Luggage

The Embrarer 145 has a very small overhead only over the 2 seat side. I use a very light duffle bag 19"x9"x9". I can usually get enough gear for 2 days. Since my business travel is business casual. I just wear my sport coat. I recently bough a small set of luggage wheels Conair TS39LC which allows easier movement through the terminal. I put the wheels and briefcase under the seat. seems to work.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:09 pm

Puzzled by United policy re smaller carryons

I have a Victorinex 17 inch bag that I bought expressly in order to fit in the overhead bins on the small regional jets. It fits nicely, sideways, and I have traveled thousands of miles on United regional jets including CRJ-200's with it. Today, however, flying out of ORD, the flight attendant required it to be gate checked even though it would have fit, and insisted that it was FAA policy that I couldn't carry it on. She insisted that I could find a policy about it on United's site (not). Twitter was no help. So I ask those of you in the forum, what is the policy with United, why does it seem to vary, and can it be challenged with a bag that absolutely fits in the bin?
Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Megn
I really like the Orvis Soft-Shell Rolling Briefcase, but had never heard of the brand before now.
No experience with their luggage but they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty on everything they sell. It's very nice fishing / hunting apparel and gear.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
I travel with a RedOxx Air Boss. RJ's are one of the reasons. I've never once been told not to carry it on. It fits in the overheads, and I'm on and off the planes without the dreaded gate check/retrieval process.

Cheers.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:37 pm

I've been seeing a 50 cm Samsonite roller in airports in Asia and Europe for some time but could never find it in person in the US, China, or Germany -- happened across one on sale in a store in Germany about a year ago and it fits every jet I've been on with it: CRJ, ERJ, and the E-175 are all good. In the case of the ERJ (and maybe the CRJ, too -- I don't remember as by this point I was elated to find a conventional roller that would fit in a ERJ!), the wheels need to be to the side, and the bag can't be loaded too full, but it does fit, even with a 15" laptop inside. There is also a gunmetal grey version of this bag, but sometimes the color is hard to find.

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/pro-dlx-...987_color=1041

It's a terrific bag, in my opinion: carries a laptop (with room for a tablet as well) and clothing for a trip up to three or four days, depending on pack density, with no issue. A full Eagle Creek Specter Medium takes up about 2/3 of the main compartment. Shoes might be tight as the main compartment is not so deep, but as I can also get a Gitzo 1541T tripod (head removed) in the main compartment it satisfies my desire to be able to always have at my side (i.e. never gate check) basic clothing and laptop in one bag. It's a little on the heavy side for airlines who measure the 8 kg carry-on limit aggressively, but pretty much any bag with a full-sized laptop and charger in it will test this rule.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:00 pm

I switch my luggage to a tri-fold garment bag + backpack whenever I take regional jets. Waiting on those rollerboards can cost you valuable minutes to your connecting flight (especially when the regional jets are late!)
Old May 22, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: United - Marriott - Hertz - AMEX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.