Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Rimowas on ebay?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Fake Rimowas on ebay?

Hmm, not sure where to post this so I thought I ask the group which seems to have the most experience with these items.

I have noticed that over the past 1-2 months, there has been a number of Rimowa items on ebay which look suspiciously "different" from what can be found on the www.rimowa.com website. No, these are not new models (like the hybrid) but rather, little details look different. Things like the shape of the TSA lock, the position of the Rimowa logo ... all in the details. I'm not sure if they are "fakes" or just somehow different. Hoping that you might be able to chime in.

For example, take a look at this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rimowa-Cabin...#ht_686wt_1396) or search ebay item number (180775065113). It looks like the Salsa cabin trolley. But on closer examination, a couple things look different.
- Lock is different in shape
- Inside separators are not the same configuration
- If I recall correctly, the way the "Rimowa" hangtag attached is not the same

What caught my eye was that the seller did not put a "model" in the product description. I was wondering what model it was and took a closer look.

Anyone with a similar piece can confirm?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:16 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Drop the seller a note and ask them the model number, then you can look and see if it's the same or not.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL
In life, there is the saying "Buyer beware!" On ebay, that goes a 100X so. Buyer be extra aware. I don't even bother with ebay. Find out who the trusted low seller of an industry is and use them as your measuring stick.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
It looks like this Salsa to me. Right price, aspects of the bag I can see seem to match the pictures on eBags.

I can't verify it's authentic, but it does seem to be that model.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
If it's too good to be true, then...

I personally never buy anything of significance through fleabay, unless it's through a national company's own Ebay account.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Just a note:

I am not an expert in Rimowa but I have seen knockoffs of their products in Asian street markets.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:04 pm

It appears to be an authentic Rimowa Salsa.

But your caution is well taken, as the Rimowa company itself advises to be careful with fakes. Criminals selling forgeries are no longer just in the back alleys, or at flea markets, selling out of the boot of a tired vehicle. This is especially true around the Christmas holidays with all products when everyone is shopping for bargains on the internet, or not.

As mentioned above, ALL Rimowa cases have a stamped authentication number, which can be traced and verified. That alone is a very good feature. You can always ask the seller a question, as stated above. If a case were purchased on EBAY using PAYPAL, and later found to be a forgery, it would fall under the " item recieved not as described " buyer protection clause.

To effect that clause, a complaint is first opened with PAYPAL or EBAY, the item is documented ( item received broken, a fake, missing parts, does not work as it should, etc.) including photographs, and further documented as finally being returned to the seller. Reimbursement from PAYPAL or EBAY back to the buyer's account is then processed, which is very quick.

I have not seen fake Rimowa products as yet, but went through this process regarding what turned out to be fake stereo headsets. I bought a number of these for the family, and was later alerted to the fact that these were fakes by another EBAY member who emailed me while travelling. I then filed a claim 37 days later when I returned. I had to round up the items ( my kids still wanted to keep them ) and send them back, but PAYPAL reimbursed my entire EBAY costs.

An useful and applicable addage I learned in Iran years ago buying Persian carpets: " Buy in the light, and sell in the shade. "

Ask questions and " put some light " on the item to be purchased. If the seller is obscuring or glossing over the facts, and it appears " shady ", then just walk away.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Yup, points all well taken.

So I have had taken steps to verify the product as best as I can and decided that there was too much of a risk here.

Deirdre, the one you pointed out is a 856.52 (http://www.rimowa.de/main#product/856.52) which comes with a TSA lock. The ebay item does not (or appears to have a different shaped lock).

Swissaire, where is the stamped authentication number? Somewhere inside the unit perhaps?

I wonder if there is a mechanism for reporting a suspicious item to ebay or rimowa?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Unlike others, I do think the item is real.

For these reasons:
Buyer is in the US, a member since 2000 and 100% positive (albeit less than 70). 2000 is a pretty long time - I've been on eBay since 1998.
I believe this Salsa Cabin Trolley is an earlier version of the current bag on sale at online retailers. eBags has erroneously kept a picture of this generation as one of the pics it uses to promote the latest generation.
For kicks, I asked the vendor if it was real and he said it was and confirmed it was an early generation. If there are any problems - ebay & PayPal will force him to take it back and refund you the money.

So why I wouldn't get it if I was in the market for a Salsa? It is the last generation of the bag.

And the retailer Flight 001, brick & mortar, is an official Rimowa dealer that sends 25% off coupons occasionally that are good on Rimowa unlike eHags. It brings it down to roughly the price of this one. Why get the last generation for the same price unless you're in desperate need for one now?

Mind you - this is only my opinion and I am not advocating any particular action. Just have to put in my safe harbor so nobody blames me for something.

It is all caveat emptor.

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 13, 2011 at 4:01 pm
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
Yup, points all well taken.
So I have had taken steps to verify the product as best as I can and decided that there was too much of a risk here.

Deirdre, the one you pointed out is a 856.52 (http://www.rimowa.de/main#product/856.52) which comes with a TSA lock. The ebay item does not (or appears to have a different shaped lock).
True, but if you look at the eBags link I posted, they are an authorized Rimowa dealer and they have a similar rounded lock in one of the four pictures. Due to angles of the photos, it's difficult to tell if they're the same, but I wouldn't rule it out as authentic. The other pictures on eBags's site look different than those on Rimowa's.

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
I wonder if there is a mechanism for reporting a suspicious item to ebay or rimowa?
There is a mechanism, but unless you're SURE it's counterfeit, I think it's overly aggressive to file a complaint about a counterfeit. It can get someone banned from eBay -- what if Rimowa simply changed their locks?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deirdre
True, but if you look at the eBags link I posted, they are an authorized Rimowa dealer and they have a similar rounded lock in one of the four pictures. Due to angles of the photos, it's difficult to tell if they're the same, but I wouldn't rule it out as authentic. The other pictures on eBags's site look different than those on Rimowa's.

There is a mechanism, but unless you're SURE it's counterfeit, I think it's overly aggressive to file a complaint about a counterfeit. It can get someone banned from eBay -- what if Rimowa simply changed their locks?
I sent the link of the ebay listing to my friend. I'll try to confirm if his lock is the same. He did say his is TSA - so wrong on that part.

I agree - don't accuse someone of selling counterfeit unless you're 100% sure and you are not.

Last edited by CApreppie; Dec 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess I was incorrect. My friend has the latest version, which he bought here: http://www.flight001.com/salsa-cabin.html
Old Dec 13, 2011, 5:47 pm

Hello Sometimes;

RE: " Swissaire, where is the stamped authentication number? Somewhere inside the unit perhaps? "

Not quite. The Rimowa registration Nr. is always stamped on the hinge-side of the case. This has been a long standing policy of Rimowa with the alu cases, and continues into the polycarbonate series, including Salsa. You can obtain this Nr. and politely contact Rimowa to verify:

1. The authenticity of a specific case.
2. When it was produced.
3. Where it was produced (Metal cases are Made in Germany; Polycarbonate in Canada)
4. Whom it was distributed to as a Vendor.
5. What generation of product model it is.
6. If it was ever reported stolen. (Take a look at the price of the Private Jet series).

It should not be a problem for any seller to answer more specific questions, and provide you (and other EBAY bidders ) with additional, more detailed photographs posted on the EBAY auction site.

Or even ..... . . . wait for it: ..... . . . Ask someone about this case on FlyerTalk !
Old Dec 13, 2011, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Once again, thank you all for the great advice. I'm just going to not put my money in this and keep using my old beat up spinner until the wheels fall off!

Cheers,
SometimesFlyer
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:08 am

Not quite. The Rimowa registration Nr. is always stamped on the hinge-side of the case. This has been a long standing policy of Rimowa with the alu cases, and continues into the polycarbonate series, including Salsa. You can obtain this Nr. and politely contact Rimowa to verify:

Hello

Could you tell me if the registration number is externally stamped on the hinge side..or internally (on the frame) ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.