Wiki Posts
Search

New to business travel: shopping for luggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
New to business travel: shopping for luggage

Hi, I'm new to these boards so bare with me for this long first post and thanks in advance for your help.

I just landed a new job that will require some international business travel and I need tu purchase new luggage. All I have right now is a small B&R laptop bag that I like a lot. I hope you experienced flyers can help me pick the right products for my needs.

Traveling patern:

I will not be traveling very often, but each time I will have to deal with very short notice... I could receive a call at any time and be asked to pack my stuff and rush to the airport ASAP.

I will be doing two types of trips, both requiring to be suited 100% of time:

A) Short 2-5 day trips where I know my return date when I leave.
B) Longer trips where my return date is not set and could vary between 1-3 weeks.

Luggage selection:

For type (A) trips, I was thinking of purchasing the B&R Carry On Wheeled Garment Bag. Because I will be packing in a hurry, I figured the garment bag would facilitate the process. However I am concerned with the size... will it easily fit in all overhead bins? I will also bring along my laptop bag.

For type (B) trips, I will certainly need to have checked baggage. I was thinking about the B&R Wheeled Wardrobe. I will also need to bring a carry-on for my laptop and personal items and I was looking at the B&R Expandable Cabin Bag.

Any comments regarding those products or other recommendations would be much appreciated. I was able to find many positive reviews reagarding B&R products in general, but very little regarding those specific items.

Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:09 am
Suspended

Call me an old cynic, but this "plea for help" looks very much like a free advertisement for B&R products.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 45128
Call me an old cynic, but this "plea for help" looks very much like a free advertisement for B&R products.
I agree my text can look like advertisement, but it really isn't.

I just read a lot of reviews in the last couple of days and their seems to be a general consensus that B&R are solid products and carry the best warranty. I need to get bags that will last for a long time so the warranty holds a lot of value in my mind.

I'm definitely open to other brand recommendations, but I can't afford anything more expensive. I've looked at Tumi, Travelpro, and Hartmann as alternatives but B&R seems to offer better value for the cost. However I have no hands on experience with any of those products which is why I'm looking to hear from anyone who has used them.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
A big problem with B&R - especially with the tact some Air Canada CSRs take - is weight. You might end up getting forced to check if you go over their weight limits, and the high empty weight of B&R luggage becomes a problem then.

I believe the Travelpro Platinum line is generally lighter and has a similar warranty.

That said, I am of the camp that does not use wheeled bags anymore. Instead, I have both the Air Boss and Sky Train from Red Oxx. Both are easy to pack for 2+ weeks without doing some of the more extreme stuff "one-bag" types do, and are a breeze for your travel patterns.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
(Skipping the cynic and the B&R comments ...

My take on your description of planned travel is to have a light carry-on that you keep pre-packed as much as possible. Something with 2 separate compartments so that you can isolate one of them for "standard" travel items like toiletries, chargers, etc. Then the other you can just take 15 mins to fill with your suit, change of clothes, etc and then go.

I use either a 20 or a 22-inch carry on most of the time. Both hardsides with 2 separate compartments. For your option (A) trips, either works. For 2-3 weeks, I take the 22-inch and plan on having to do laundry along the way.

After all these years, my criteria for carry-on luggage is as follow :
- light, strong, good wheels
- max capacity so that means minimum fuss with inserts/pockets/fold-outs
- easy to identify
- hardside so that I will not worry about checking it if I'm forced to do so
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer

My take on your description of planned travel is to have a light carry-on that you keep pre-packed as much as possible. Something with 2 separate compartments so that you can isolate one of them for "standard" travel items like toiletries, chargers, etc. Then the other you can just take 15 mins to fill with your suit, change of clothes, etc and then go.

I use either a 20 or a 22-inch carry on most of the time. Both hardsides with 2 separate compartments. For your option (A) trips, either works. For 2-3 weeks, I take the 22-inch and plan on having to do laundry along the way.

- easy to identify
^I totally agree with your methodology and criteria. But I limit myself to a 20 inch roller or, alternatively, a non-wheeled bag. I think your approach would suit the OP's needs as well except if several suits are required on a single trip (it's hard to do three weeks with only one or two, IMHO).
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by 45128

LOL
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
To start with (with a last minute notice of needing to travel) buy packing cubes and have a supply of underwear, socks etc packed in the cubes ready to go at all times.

Do the same with toiletries, shaving gear etc. Be prepared.

Have all your travel papers well organized at all times.

Have your shoes and primary clothing items in a special closet or area of a closet clean, pressed and ready to be packed.

Have a spare set of chargers for your electronic gear packed and ready at all times.

Keep plenty of cash on hand.

Don't panic.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:52 am

Excellent advice, especially from oldpenny, as usual.

I'd most likely also go the two bag route. Two questions, though.

1. Do you travel business class?
2. Do you need a briefcase?

Bonus question: Did you read the packing sticky already? If not, do so asap. It'll help.

The reason I am asking for briefcase and business class is that with a two bag solution (one roller and one suit carrier/garment bag) you might end up with three bags if you need a briefcase on top of that.

If you fly business, you might get past the gate agent with three pieces. Otherwise not much chance. But don't despair. If you have a rather flat briefcase you can fit it inside the roller just for boarding. Then you are golden.

I would definitely NOT use the wheeled closet style suitcases or rolling garment bags. Too heavy, too big. Not efficient. Learn how to pack a suit and you can use almost any bag you fancy. It'll take around 10-20 minutes to learn. Maybe less.

Otherwise choose a roller that is as small as possible. I'd say that is a BR 18" like this one: http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...18X&sec=travel

Then use a simple garment bag. Wallybags specializes in that stuff. Really good quality and decent prices. Something like this: http://www.wallybags.com/products/se...=23&seriesid=3

You role the 18 incher along. It carries your slim briefcase on top and some bulkier items inside. You can still hang the suiter over the handle. This will be your arrangement to go through security. Once security is done with, you stow the briefcase in the roller and continue to the gate. The gate agent will wave you right through. Then have the suiter stowed by the flight attendant. Continue to your seat. Take briefcase out and stow under seat in front of you. Put 18" roller wheels first in overhead bin. Done!

It sounds complicated but is really not. You will only need a single set of luggage that you can keep pre-packed with your suits hanging in the closet ready to go.

Read up on the packing lists, how much of everything you really need so you can pack light. The key is planning to wash underwear and shirts in intervals that are doable. I find that one set on the body and three sets packed, means that I can go four days between washes. I certainly wouldn't do more than one set on the body and five sets packed.

You could have two sets prepacked. A set of three and a set of two. Short trip: The set of three is already in the roller. Long trip: Throw in an extra set of two. Easy. Packed in ten minutes.

Till
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:13 am

Do you need to pack suits? Does your business case need to look like a professional briefcase?

I recently discovered the amazing products from tombihn.com. a combination of the Empire Builder and either the Tri-Star or the Aeronaut would give you all the space and flexibility you need for short or long trips. I've got their Brain Bag for my laptop and it's just a terrific piece of gear. I'm an unabashed fan of the company, and their products.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer

- easy to identify
Also skipping the Cynic and b&R comments (except to note that I had a similar first reaction), SometimesFlyer just nailed my description of what I look for in luggage with one addition: I always want the heavy duty zippers. On the roller this is not as much of an issue except for auxiliary pouches. But on shoulder/ laptop bags it is tremendously important. Without the larger, heavy duty zippers, the zipper is almost guaranteed to be the first fail point. And when it starts to fail it will drive you nuts for months before you get tired of all the open, unzipped compartments enough to get a new bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.