Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Anyone Knows How to Remove Rubberizing from a Bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:01 am
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV

I have an old (10+ yo) Columbia messenger bag that I like very much.

The fabric of one of the interior compartments is rubberized (for no evident purpose, at least to me). Recently the rubberizing becomes to flake, and the flakes adhere to whatever is at that compartment, creating a mess to clean up.

Do anyone knows how to remove rubberizing from fabric? Is there any chemical product that does it?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Every time I've tried I've ruined the fabric.

Any chance you can glue a fabric liner over it?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Every time I've tried I've ruined the fabric.

Any chance you can glue a fabric liner over it?
Right. Most rubberized fabrics don't survive with the rubberize part. You can try to scrub most of the flaking bits off
trhen soak that part of the fabric in an Elmer's glue solution.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:30 pm
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV
cordelli and cd1111:

These were the two solutions offered by my local luggage repair shop.

As they are somewhat low tech, and not very much effective, I was in hope that someone knows a chemical product that dissolves or dislodges the rubber from the fabric.

If chemically removing the rubber proves to be impossible, gluing or stitching a liner seems to be the better option, as removing by scrubbing probably will damage the fabric which, as an interior fabric, is not very thick.

Thank you for your suggestions; not knowing where else to ask, I'm in hope that a FTalker that works in the industry could, perhaps, offer a professional opinion.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have no clue what this product is or how it works, but there was a commercial on yesterday for a spray rubber that will do the opposite, it will renew the rubberization. It's along the lines of the magic putty, good for everything you have that needs fixing, flower pots, leaky roofs, rotted drip pans, etc.

http://www.seenontvexpress.com/produ...ray+rubber.htm

Of course, buy one get one free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.