Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medjetassist ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Medjetassist ?

does anyone have any first hand experience with medjetassist?

the Economist magazine ran an article full of praise but would like some more input before I finalize
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:51 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I have subscribed for approx. 7 years. Fortunately I never have had to use it, but in terms of the reviews of medical travel insurance and their policy of air lifting you out, I think it is a sound investment if you have frequent international travel to 3rd world countries.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
i have subscribed about 5 years but, thankfully, never had to call on it. I like knowing it's there and hope it works as advertised if I ever do. I got it due to a lot of Int'l travel.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

many thanks for your feedback

brad
vancouver
Old Jun 19, 2011, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bbkenney
i have subscribed about 5 years but, thankfully, never had to call on it. I like knowing it's there and hope it works as advertised if I ever do. I got it due to a lot of Int'l travel.
many thanks for your feedback

brad
vancouver
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
It's interesting to note despite this not appearing on their website they have short term as well, I just asked in an email. It's definitely way more expensive than the yearly rate but you can still save a lot if you only travel once a year to a problematic country say for a week or two.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My travel agent recommends it to his clients, and uses it himself. I've never been anywhere I consider it essential, but if I went to certain third world countries I would certainly consider it.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Full Disclosure- I work in this business.

Think before traveling ANYWHERE without this or something similar. Air ambulance service is quite pricey for even short domestic runs. Overseas evacs can easily run over $100 Grand.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
MIL go sick while on a Silk Roads tour back in 2008 in Mongolia. After she was determined by local medical authority to be fit for evacuation she was flown helicopter to BJ and then private medical jet to HK which was her location of choice for care.
The helicopter arrived with a nurse. It had a current FAA certification plate and equipped like a scale down air ambulance.
The nurse plus one companion was flown from rural Mongolia all the way to HK.

My uncle who is an offshore petroleum consultant and knows the cost of private/charter helicopter/jet services estimate that this trip would have cost about $100,000US
Old Sep 14, 2011, 4:03 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For further discussion, please follow in the Travel Products forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
I signed up last year after researching here on FT and reading good things about it. See here for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...insurance.html

Fortunately I haven't had to use it When traveling abroad for work (frequently to China), my employer provided emergency medical coverage through MedEx, but their policy was one of those "evacuation to nearest suitable care facility". I liked the MedEx coverage, but in the case of serious injury I figured I'd add Medjet myself to prevent any disagreement as to the definition of "suitable" I liked knowing that if I wanted to go to Mass General in Boston, then that's were I'd be going.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by Cristobal
I signed up last year after researching here on FT and reading good things about it. See here for example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...insurance.html

Fortunately I haven't had to use it When traveling abroad for work (frequently to China), my employer provided emergency medical coverage through MedEx, but their policy was one of those "evacuation to nearest suitable care facility". I liked the MedEx coverage, but in the case of serious injury I figured I'd add Medjet myself to prevent any disagreement as to the definition of "suitable" I liked knowing that if I wanted to go to Mass General in Boston, then that's were I'd be going.
Just be aware that where you have multiple insurers insuring approximately the same events, you may have to wait for them to fight it out over who pays what.

E.g. If you claim on the MedJet insurance for a total cost of $100,000, they might try to claim $20,000 of that off of your company's insurers since they are both insuring the same event, even though their level of cover/exposure is different.

If they're being particularly pernickety, they might cost the claim at $100,000 but charge you $20,000 and leave you to recover that cost from the other insurer.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but it's just something to be aware of
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:32 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'm with the crowd. If I regularly flew to countries with less than top notch medical facilities, I would subscribe. Since most of my travel outside the US is to Canada and Western Europe, I can trust their medical facilities. Not to mention that, unlike the US, those countries don't charge people for emergency aid. When I went to SE Asia, I bought insurance from World Nomads that was quite reasonable and covered significant medical and evac costs if I had needed them.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've posted on another thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...onal-trip.html on this subject about my experiences being injured in Alaska and needing to get back to Texas. I did not have this inusrance and it was ugly at best.

I got caught in the cross hairs of my employer cutting our insurance coverage and not understanding what coverage I actually had until I was injured and in no mental condition to make good decisions.

Be smarter than I was!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:11 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Two years ago my husband almost died while we were away from home. I needed to get him back to our hometown for further hospitalization. We had an inexpensive evacuation insurance plan from a retired military officers association.

I had to literally fight with the insurance company for nine days, I lost count of the number of phone calls I made and the excuses they made for why my husband's case didn't meet their T&Cs. Finally, I played the "who you know" card and contacted the retired 3-star general who headed the military organization. My husband had worked with him years before and I literally pleaded the case in a series of phone calls.

The general finally forced the insurance company to cover the 1-hour flight (ABQ-PHX), which would have otherwise cost $8,000. Meanwhile, I had been calling air ambulance companies in ABQ to get quotes, in case the so-called insurance didn't pay. The woman owner of one of the ABQ companies was very forceful in stating that only MedJet is worth buying, they are the only company that really covers medical evacs.

We haven't traveled overseas, or much of anywhere else by air, since then. MedJet is the only company I would buy evacuation insurance from, should we be able to travel again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.