Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Has anyone brought their Zuca on a Lufthansa flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold

After reading the informative posts in this Travel Products forum, I recently bought a Zuca Pro at Overstock (currently $230.39 there). I have not traveled with it yet. My next flights are on Lufthansa to Frankfurt, then Oslo, then back to the US through Frankfurt again. I've never flown on Lufthansa but I know their stated carry-on policy is a stricter-than-normal 8" (actually 20cm which is 7.874 inches) of depth for carry-ons. I was looking over my Zuca Pro today and it is every bit the 10" inches in depth that the Zuca website says it is. I am worried that Lufthansa will force me to check the Zuca Pro because the bag is officially more than 2 inches over the limit. Also, the unusual shape of the bag is naturally bound to draw attention and be more likely challenged for a measurement. So, I ask you fellow Zuca Pro owners out there, have any of you successfully carried your Zuca on a Lufthansa flight despite Lufthansa's onerous carry-on policy?

If it makes any difference, I will be flying in Business Class on Airbus A340-300, A320, and an A340-600. I will use a different bag if LH is going to give me problems but I was really hoping to give the Zuca a spin on this next trip.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL D & MM, Marriott P, Hilton S, UA, US, AA
Question Interested

As a fellow Zuca Pro user, I would be interested in any replies. Then again, it is not as if I fly LH that much
Old May 18, 2011, 1:35 pm

I'm not a Zuca Pro user; however, I will tell you that Lufthansa is *very* strict about their carry-on policy.

This happened to me May '2010:

Leaving IAH, they didn't seem to really care--it was their 747 and I was in first. We landed in FRA attempting to connect to ATH and they basically announced that they were checking all non-personal carry-onbags. (i.e. laptops, purses, etc) I was in Business, boarded after 10 people and the GA stopped by because of my (small )rolling case. It was well under the size and weight and at the time contained my camera and various expenses lenses. Standing in line I basically had a 3 min conversation stating this bag contained camera equipment, could not be checked, and almost had to open it up and show her before she 'exampted me' and waved me on. Then.... As I'm putting my bad in the overhead, a woman out of nowhere pops up and grabs a FA and says, "How come he gets to bring his bag on" and almost makes a scene. Luckily for me, the FA blew her off and said, she didn't know, it was up to the GA and that was that.

After the door closed, there was a ton of room. Basically, everyone's personal items were in the overhead with room to spare and nothing under the seat in front of them, so I don't know what the issue was.

Bottom line: My bag was under weight and size, and the GA decided to force check non-personal sized items for no apparent reason. I would not tempt the LH GAs.
Old May 19, 2011, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tehiota
I'm not a Zuca Pro user; however, I will tell you that Lufthansa is *very* strict about their carry-on policy.

This happened to me May '2010:

Leaving IAH, they didn't seem to really care--it was their 747 and I was in first. We landed in FRA attempting to connect to ATH and they basically announced that they were checking all non-personal carry-onbags. (i.e. laptops, purses, etc) I was in Business, boarded after 10 people and the GA stopped by because of my (small )rolling case. It was well under the size and weight and at the time contained my camera and various expenses lenses. Standing in line I basically had a 3 min conversation stating this bag contained camera equipment, could not be checked, and almost had to open it up and show her before she 'exampted me' and waved me on. Then.... As I'm putting my bad in the overhead, a woman out of nowhere pops up and grabs a FA and says, "How come he gets to bring his bag on" and almost makes a scene. Luckily for me, the FA blew her off and said, she didn't know, it was up to the GA and that was that.

After the door closed, there was a ton of room. Basically, everyone's personal items were in the overhead with room to spare and nothing under the seat in front of them, so I don't know what the issue was.

Bottom line: My bag was under weight and size, and the GA decided to force check non-personal sized items for no apparent reason. I would not tempt the LH GAs.
Thanks for that story. I am thinking twice about bringing this Zuca on my next Lufthansa flight.
Old May 21, 2011, 1:42 pm
rdg

This tends to be true on most European carriers, but LH can be particularly strict.
Old May 23, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A tip: the Zuca Pro does look a little big, mostly because of its metal frame, so consider investing the $45 in a travel cover.

Before the cover, I'd regularly get stopped for a weigh/measure, but with a cover I've yet to be stopped. I guess it just makes the bag look less massive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.