Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

311 TSA Liquids Bag - Leakproof suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have a great suggestion and experience with a clear 311 style toiletry bag that meets TSA requirements (clear, 1 qt, etc) that does not leak and is durable enough to use for more than just a few trips?

I've used various sandwich bag & ziplock options. They typically break or tear.

I have been using the Flybags TSA bag because it was far more durable than a ziplock style. However, they do not contain a leak should one of your bottles come open during travel.

This is in combination with some specialized bottles that aren't supposed to leak, but they do on occasion.

I've contemplated the Tom Bihn 3D Clear Organizer Cube, though they make it clear that it is not leak proof.

I appreciate any suggestions you have.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: PC Plat, DL PM, Avis First, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
I've always used a Ziploc freezer bag. I used the same bag for almost a year before it gave out. When I replaced it, I decided to double up on freezer bags (one inside the other). I don't know if this is TSA approved or not, but I have gone through security at least 50 times with the double bag and no one has complained. YMMV.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:12 pm

Perhaps the Flight001 Carry on bottle set?
http://www.flight001.com/all-product...ottle-set.html

it's basically a more heavy duty ziptop bag, and it comes with bottles (no clue if they're leakproof)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles, United, Continental, JBlU, USair, AA
you should look at the core problem first: leaking bottles.

aside from that, there is nothing wrong with double-bagging. in fact, I have put a quart size bag inside a larger bag, as long as nothing else is in the larger bag.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by cjspeake
I've always used a Ziploc freezer bag. I used the same bag for almost a year before it gave out. When I replaced it, I decided to double up on freezer bags (one inside the other). I don't know if this is TSA approved or not, but I have gone through security at least 50 times with the double bag and no one has complained. YMMV.
Yea, I use the freezer bags as well. They go eventually but they last for months. They are also light and roll down to about the size of the contents.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I agree about the bottles. They're generally the problem, not the bags. For bags, I use the Ziploc double zipper quart bags and have found them reliable. If you're flying, keep in mind that the higher air pressure in aircraft dictates that you leave a certain amount of room for expansion of the contents of your containers--rather than filling your containers to the brim, leave some room, perhaps about 10% for expansion.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:00 pm

I use the 3-1-1 system shown on One Bag. These bottles do NOT leak and you also get the zip lock bags too.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Skymiles
I use the 3-1-1 system too. The tubes are easy to file, easy to pack and airtight. I even bought a few extras is the smaller size which are perfect to hold more than enough product for a one week trip.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:14 am

I use 40 ml flat bottomed vials from GBF Medical Group. I picked them up at my local hospital's auxiliary yard sale. They are designed to be used for sending specimens to reference labs. They were extra bottles that were unused. I bought ten for a dollar. They meet IATA pressure requirements. They have an attached snap-on lid with a locking tab and are transparent. I carry all of my liquids (as thick as shampoo and as thin as mouthwash), I use them for batteries and other dry goods. They are my best travel hack. I found a picture of them on the GBF site. http://www.gbf-inc.com/Medical/New_Kits/new_kits.html.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I use Zippy bags as well and change them after every trip. I know where they've been and don't want to bring the crud home.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 7:44 pm

I use a Aloksak. It is essentially a mil-spec zip-lock style bag.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I get my Kippies from my girlfriend in Toronto. That way, they are liter (litre) sized.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Originally Posted by dcvibe
Does anyone have a great suggestion and experience with a clear 311 style toiletry bag that meets TSA requirements (clear, 1 qt, etc) that does not leak and is durable enough to use for more than just a few trips?

I've used various sandwich bag & ziplock options. They typically break or tear.
I need the OP to chime in here...

Several posters have replied that the best solution is also the cheapest - continue using the 1Q freezer ziploc-type bags. Most have said they last for months or even a year, which has been my experience as well. These baggies don't tear and last for months of multiple trips.

To the OP, is your experience with the ziploc-type baggies different than what I said above? You're only getting one trip per baggie before they tear?

Purchasing something other than a baggie seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dcvibe
I've contemplated the Tom Bihn 3D Clear Organizer Cube, though they make it clear that it is not leak proof.
FWIW I've been using one of these for 18 months and wouldn't go back to the disposable Ziplock type bags as they always seemed to break on me at the wrong time. The Bihn cube is sturdier though luckily have not had to test is leak proof abilities yet.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
I use ziploc baggies. Yes I know that these baggies can tear at an inopportune time. So my solution? I carry an extra baggie! Simple, takes up almost no space, but it does double the cost from about 5 cents to 10 cents.

Actually, my home airport has a box of baggies at TSA, so I just grab a couple when I feel my current baggie is getting old. Total cost to me? Zero.

But if you must buy a $25 Tom Bihn bag, enjoy yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.