Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Sizer and approved wheeled carry-on bags

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 5:48 am
Original Poster

LHR Sizer and approved wheeled carry-on bags

Is there a thread that shows what manufacturers and models clearly are legal in the eyes of the LHR sizer. I'm not talking about getting lucky half the time. I'm interested in knowing for sure that the bag will fit every time as I'm planning on a lot of LHR travel in the next 24 months. TIA.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I would also be interested in responses to this question.

To be more specific, I'm not really interested in the 20" models, I'm interested in the 21-22" ones that b/c of the wheels/handle may or may not fit.

Has anyone exactly measured the newest Costco Kirkland 21.5" model (4th gen)?

thanks
Old Mar 13, 2011, 2:06 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is no LHR sizer. Hasn't been for at least 2-3 years. Airlines apply their own standard rules.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I did a fair amount of international travel last year - two RTWs, Oz, two or three PVG and maybe 6 or 8 to LHR. To be reasonably confident of not having a problem I don't go with anything over 18 or 19 inches with a roller. You can probably go a bit bigger just to LHR, check your airline web pages.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
BAA doesn't enforce sizing regulations anymore, though I think that has only been for a year or so. I once had to check a legal, though often hard to fit lengthwise, rollaboard because its hardsides and way overbuilt wheels wouldn't compress into a sizer at Gatwick. The people in the yellow t-shirts were really nuts about that. I actually got a new bag because that one was such a pain to put in any overhead other than the 757, but it technically was legal.

The problem was that the old UK regulations included the wheels and handles in the overall size, as opposed to much of the rest of the world that excludes such things.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
BAA doesn't enforce sizing regulations anymore, though I think that has only been for a year or so. I once had to check a legal, though often hard to fit lengthwise, rollaboard because its hardsides and way overbuilt wheels wouldn't compress into a sizer at Gatwick. The people in the yellow t-shirts were really nuts about that. I actually got a new bag because that one was such a pain to put in any overhead other than the 757, but it technically was legal.

The problem was that the old UK regulations included the wheels and handles in the overall size, as opposed to much of the rest of the world that excludes such things.
I think most sizers, including airline ones, include wheels and handles.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I think most sizers, including airline ones, include wheels and handles.
But speaking from the prospective of regulation and airline rules, it was just BAA that actually had that rule. All others are exclusive and you have a nice argument if they try and piss about with the sizer. Also, many airlines have one side open.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 7:39 am

But speaking from the prospective of regulation and airline rules, it was just BAA that actually had that rule. All others are exclusive and you have a nice argument if they try and piss about with the sizer. Also, many airlines have one side open.
Im not sure what you are basing this on. The problem with the BAA sizers were that the official size was really small.

As far as other airlines, the ones I fly dont say anything about wheels and handles. They certainly dont say that wheels and handles arent included. They specifically say that the bags have to fit in the sizer. Period. Some sizers are open, some are closed. Even some "open" sizers have bars that would hit a handle. Wheels and handles are therefore included. There is no such thing as a "nice" argument with a GA trying to board a flight. Especially since at least with the airlines I fly they simply say they have to fit in the sizer. It doesnt fit, it doesnt go.

One good thing about soft bags is that they seldom make you put it in the sizer. I did have them make me put my briefcase in the BAA sizer. It barely fit but it did make it.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:06 pm

Im not sure what you are basing this on. The problem with the BAA sizers were that the official size was really small.

As far as other airlines, the ones I fly dont say anything about wheels and handles. They certainly dont say that wheels and handles arent included. They specifically say that the bags have to fit in the sizer. Period. Some sizers are open, some are closed. Even some "open" sizers have bars that would hit a handle. Wheels and handles are therefore included. There is no such thing as a "nice" argument with a GA trying to board a flight. Especially since at least with the airlines I fly they simply say they have to fit in the sizer. It doesnt fit, it doesnt go.

One good thing about soft bags is that they seldom make you put it in the sizer. I did have them make me put my briefcase in the BAA sizer. It barely fit but it did make it.
The official size was not that small. It was the typical size for a 22" roller, but included wheels and handles. While the handle usually isn't an issue, any sort of wheel suspension/extension would make your bag illegal.

As for the sizer, the problem is that the actual contract of carriage size for a carry-on is standardized and the sizers are not.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 5:32 pm

The official size was not that small. It was the typical size for a 22" roller, but included wheels and handles. While the handle usually isn't an issue, any sort of wheel suspension/extension would make your bag illegal.

As for the sizer, the problem is that the actual contract of carriage size for a carry-on is standardized and the sizers are not.
Actually there were more than one size of restriction. The original, which I was referring to, was about 17x13x7. Very little fit. They then expanded it. I think the common wisdom here, which I agree with, is that 22 inches is a problem on international flights. I dont see much ability to argue about fitting in a sizer.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 6:15 pm

Actually there were more than one size of restriction. The original, which I was referring to, was about 17x13x7. Very little fit. They then expanded it. I think the common wisdom here, which I agree with, is that 22 inches is a problem on international flights. I dont see much ability to argue about fitting in a sizer.
I don't remember ever seeing such an oddly shaped sizer, but I will take your word for it.

That said, the sizers at the little gateway to the security checkpoint were generally that which fit a 22" carry-on with 2 compact wheels and some give.

As far as traveling internationally with a 22, I have rarely seen that as a problem. The only issue is when they only allow 7 kg and make you weigh. I'm usually at about 10 kg for a 2 week trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.