Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tumi vs Rimowa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, FB Plat, LH SEN *G, Emirates Gold, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, Hhonors Gold and some others
i'm also in doubt for a Rimowa or Tumi but when i checked the Rimowa this week, the lock looked very cheap, just made out of cheap plastic..

nobody with issues with the lock?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
But what makes you think B&R needs repaired often? That certainly isnt my experience. I also dont understand the logic of heavier carry ons than checked bags.

I didn't mean to imply that B&R needs to repaired often. But that nylon bags in my opinion need to be repaired more often than a polycarbonate bag. And the B&R fanatics always talk about the warranty first and foremost. Personally, I'd rather have a bag made out of tougher materials, than a better warranty.

Also my grammar was poor, regarding the weight. i was saying that B&R is too heavy for a checked bag. I like the brand better as a carry-on choice.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dko3tgk
I didn't mean to imply that B&R needs to repaired often. But that nylon bags in my opinion need to be repaired more often than a polycarbonate bag. And the B&R fanatics always talk about the warranty first and foremost. Personally, I'd rather have a bag made out of tougher materials, than a better warranty.

Also my grammar was poor, regarding the weight. i was saying that B&R is too heavy for a checked bag. I like the brand better as a carry-on choice.
It seems to be the wheels and handles that go on most bags. I think the assumption that just because the warranty us good it gets damaged more is simply wrong. As is the assumption that heavy ballistic nylon is less strong than polycarbonate. The only damage I have had too a B&R bag is when some pinhead from TSA used bolt cutters on the zipper pulls. I'm thinking of getting a Rimowa, i have nothing against the brand, only for the looks.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:23 am
tcm

Its probably just me but I don't understand the hyp regarding Rimowa. To me it looks industrial and ugly. A rigid German design with no aesthetics. I'm sure its durable but heavy on the eye

I use a Mandarina&Duck for checked luggage and have both B&R/Tumi for light traveling. No problems with any of them.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:38 pm

Smile Rimowa vs Tumi

I have been using Samsonite luggage for years without any problems. I purchased a Rimowa Salsa 22' carry on case 3 years ago and was very impressed with it and soon afterwards bought a Rimowa Salsa 32' case also with no problems.
This year I bought the Rimowa Topaz 32' Multiwheel, it went great from Frankfurt to Windhoek then I took a business trip to China with lots of flying and baggage handling. I had 12 flights in total and upon arriving back in my home town in Namibia I found a wheel had been damaged on the Johannesburg to Walvis Bay flight. This could be because the aircraft is much smaller than all of the other flights I flew on being a CRJ700.
Nonetheless, I would suggest buying a Samsonite Cubelite case if you're on a budget or just go for the best, Rimowa can offer.(Samsonite cost about half the price of Rimowa)
Remember, I do about 4 long haul trips annually that's why I went for the Rimowa.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Rimowa - no question. This became more evident when Tumi changed their warranty to essentially be no better than the garbage you get for $50 on eBags.

Originally Posted by tcm
Its probably just me but I don't understand the hyp regarding Rimowa. To me it looks industrial and ugly. A rigid German design with no aesthetics. I'm sure its durable but heavy on the eye

I use a Mandarina&Duck for checked luggage and have both B&R/Tumi for light traveling. No problems with any of them.
I love the aesthetics of Rimowa - especially the aluminum cases. I think both B&R and Tumi are boring at best, hideous at worst

Originally Posted by tmtools
Nonetheless, I would suggest buying a Samsonite Cubelite case if you're on a budget or just go for the best, Rimowa can offer.(Samsonite cost about half the price of Rimowa)
Remember, I do about 4 long haul trips annually that's why I went for the Rimowa.
I don't know where a high end Samsonite like the Cubelite or Cosmolite costs half of what a Rimowa costs - especially if you buy a Salsa or Classic Flight.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N1120A
... I think both B&R and Tumi are boring at best, hideous at worst
Unlike B&R and Rimowa Tumi has at least a dozen different major lines and hundreds of models. ANd unlike B&R and Rimowa i can frequently find Tumi in outlets and discount stores at 30-50% off making it a reasonable value.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by tcm

Actually, that is a very accurate observation, tcm. Spot on.

The Rimowa appearance is an industrial design, and a rigid German design at that. The Rillen or ridged-grooves were first introduced in the 1920's to stiffen sheet aluminum, which would otherwise be loose, flexible and not very strong. Move a press roller over the metal creating the grooves, and you have sheet of aluminum that does not flex much and is now strong.

Very much like annealing where very thin guage flexible metal is heat treat it and then run it through a cold bath. It then becomes stiffer, stronger and allows more use properties ( 10x versus 2-3x ) than before it was heat treated.

Haliburton has manufactured a similar product for roughly the same period of time, but having had both I will remain with Rimowa. The Rimowa cases simply function better using light material and last longer, which was the prime reason for my first purchase. It was function over form, and not looks.
A lifetime warranty did not even cross my mind at the time. 5 years is more than sufficient when the service is excellent, at least where I travel.

The luggage damage problems I have experienced were resolved with the airlines, rightfully so, and not expected of Rimowa.

If one wants a nylon or canvas-leather product, they can be bought. If one wants a stealth black or hot pink case with a shell-design, epoxy, plastic, or chopper-gun fibreglas, those are also available. There is even one advertised that you can sit on while watching the big board at FRA.

Fly, travel, and carry the luggage that works best for you, and makes you happy.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: StarAllianceGold, Amex Gold, Chase Preferred, AA Platinum Executive,
I think Tumi, Rimowa, and Samsonite are all mission specific.

I have a preference for tumi cabin luggage, the dividers are bit more sustainable, and sturdy, east to pack suits and compartmentalize your essentials easily. , I use the TegraLite products from tumi,and have both the cabin luggage, and carry on. The only downside is that the weight of the bag itself is substantially more. My tumi on a recent trip to dubai got some heavy damage(bent inward, and a half broken wheel.) I went the tumi route to get it fixed, but it was too much work. Then I remembered I purchased it at Nordstrom, and took it right back to them, and they replaced it with a new one,(I didn't have the proof or purchase, but I had purchased it with my nordstrom card, so they were able too look it up.)

I like Rimowa, because, they're stylish, lightweight, and durable. I have the I like it, but they are scratched easily, but very very durable. I use my rimowa when I travel between Europe, North America, and Australia. I find it in most instances (operative word) the baggage handles are a bit more gentler.

I have samsonite luggage for cruises and travel to asia. They are light, durability is okay, and for the price I may good value for money (i get mine from macys and there are always offers.) I have had a samsonite on a trip to india sustain damage, and the airline reimbursed me to replace it.

It is what you value, whether is price, or lifestyle; and for me its specific needs to my trips.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by Nick Judge
I think Tumi, Rimowa, and Samsonite are all mission specific.

I have a preference for tumi cabin luggage, the dividers are bit more sustainable, and sturdy, east to pack suits and compartmentalize your essentials easily. , I use the TegraLite products from tumi,and have both the cabin luggage, and carry on. The only downside is that the weight of the bag itself is substantially more. My tumi on a recent trip to dubai got some heavy damage(bent inward, and a half broken wheel.) I went the tumi route to get it fixed, but it was too much work. Then I remembered I purchased it at Nordstrom, and took it right back to them, and they replaced it with a new one,(I didn't have the proof or purchase, but I had purchased it with my nordstrom card, so they were able too look it up.)

I like Rimowa, because, they're stylish, lightweight, and durable. I have the I like it, but they are scratched easily, but very very durable. I use my rimowa when I travel between Europe, North America, and Australia. I find it in most instances (operative word) the baggage handles are a bit more gentler.

I have samsonite luggage for cruises and travel to asia. They are light, durability is okay, and for the price I may good value for money (i get mine from macys and there are always offers.) I have had a samsonite on a trip to india sustain damage, and the airline reimbursed me to replace it.

It is what you value, whether is price, or lifestyle; and for me its specific needs to my trips.

I am thinking of doing the same: Rimowa Topas Aluminum for checked and Tumi Alpha 2 for carry on.

The Topas is not very conducive to slipping things in easily, where as the Alpha 2 does have pockets that can accomodate this. The downside, is that I have found the wheels to roll better on the Topas vs. Tumi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.