FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Jos A Bank traveler shirts stain? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1141475-jos-bank-traveler-shirts-stain.html)

Westy Oct 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Jos A Bank traveler shirts stain?

I'm a big fan of the Jos A Bank Traveler shirts, I own a number of them. However, I've now had 2 blue shirts develop stains that can only be attributed to an issue with the dye. They went into the wash with no stains, but when they came out, there were numerous blotches of discoloration. I'm using the exact same detergent as always and I'm 100% sure that the issue isn't due to user error. As it happens, the shirts were the 2 that I wear the most and have seen numerous washes, but one of them is less than 6 months old. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Jos A Bank Traveler shirt?

kingalien Oct 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Westy (Post 15027561)
I'm a big fan of the Jos A Bank Traveler shirts, I own a number of them. However, I've now had 2 blue shirts develop stains that can only be attributed to an issue with the dye. They went into the wash with no stains, but when they came out, there were numerous blotches of discoloration. I'm using the exact same detergent as always and I'm 100% sure that the issue isn't due to user error. As it happens, the shirts were the 2 that I wear the most and have seen numerous washes, but one of them is less than 6 months old. Has anyone else had a similar experience with the Jos A Bank Traveler shirt?

All my dress shirts are Travelers and I have a few of the French Blue and a couple of the blue ones. All are about a year old. I always send mine to the cleaners and have no problems with discoloration or blotching.

wiredboy10003 Nov 2, 2010 8:07 am

I remember reading a pamphlet at the drycleaners a few years ago. One of the points it made was that sometimes drycleaning actually brings out discolorations which were invisible before cleaning, due to chemical reactions. An example was a spill of something clear, which dried invisibly, and when cleaned, made the area appear lighter.

I wonder it the same applies to washing?

dchristiva Nov 3, 2010 9:25 am

I've found Jos. A Bank to have a pretty liberal return policy. I would take the shirts to one of their stores and see if they won't exchange them.

ScottN88 Dec 6, 2010 2:30 pm

My problem was discoloration at the tips of the collar. Jos A.Banks said they never had a prior complaint, but I don't believe them.

My dry cleaner said this is an industry known issue and they provided me with a copy of the Textile Analysis Bulletins (TABs) #382 which addresses the issue.

In short, some shirts have to much bonding material used during construction and the heat of an iron causes the darkening.

If you want a copy of what was given to me, drop me a private message and I will pass along.

Jos A. Banks was more than happy to exchange the shirt.

firefly2010 Dec 6, 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 15066885)
I've found Jos. A Bank to have a pretty liberal return policy. I would take the shirts to one of their stores and see if they won't exchange them.

yup, take the shirts to store might be a good idea.

tenmoc Dec 9, 2010 9:23 am

Originally Posted by firefly2010 (Post 15395552)
yup, take the shirts to store might be a good idea.

Or a different store if you don't get the answer you like at one. I have many of these and really find service differs drastically depending on which store I walk into.

crhptic Dec 9, 2010 10:26 am

Originally Posted by tenmoc (Post 15413785)
Or a different store if you don't get the answer you like at one. I have many of these and really find service differs drastically depending on which store I walk into.

Agree 100%

Not to go too far OT but I have also found out that since all the sales reps at Jos A Bank are on commission, you will get way better service if they think you can provide future business.

One time I had a jacket from there that literally fell apart at the seams about 6 mos after I bought it. I wanted to exchange but my local store didn't have my size in stock anymore. After I called 3-4 other stores asking them if they had the jacket to exchange, and getting brushed off with unimaginative excuses everytime ("we're doing inventory, call back later", "we don't have enough people here to check right now, call tomorrow", "call the manager after 5", etc.), I called a store and asked to BUY the jacket in my size. The guy put it on hold for me in about 2 seconds, and I went in and did the exchange. It so happened that when I went into the store, the sales guy wasn't there and I had the manager do it. He processed it quickly with no issues.

The next day the sales guy had the gall to call me and ask "what happened to the jacket? I didn't see it on my sales log for yesterday". I came as close as I've ever come to gloating as I said "ask your manager" and hung up on him.

BearX220 Dec 9, 2010 10:37 am

Love the Traveler shirts. Hate the Jos A. Bank roller-coaster pricing, deal-of-the-century-every-week thing. You never know when to buy -- you just know that MSRP is a joke. Makes good clothes feel cheap.

siv1870 Sep 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Joseph Banks Traveler Shirt Stains - A Quality Assurance Issue

I have been wearing Joseph Bank Traveler Shirts exclusively for several years and I have had to take ALL of my shirts (N=18) back to the store for replacement as least 2 times and some as many as 4 times, due to staining of the collar tips and collar fold around the neck. And yes, Joe Bank personnel always tell me that I am the only person who has returned shirts with this problem and that it must be my Professional Cleaner who is mucking up their shirts.

Well, my Professional Cleaner (my shirts are washed and ironed, not dry cleaned) tells me this is an industry wide problem due to shirt manufacturers using glue in the collar as a cheap workaround to avoid additional stitching and quality work. He then proceeded to pull several shirts from the clean rack to show me other brands that have the same defect.

Of course, Joe Bank personnel always deny any quality issues with their Traveler shirts. But the last time I was in the store to replace 7 of my shirts (Saturday, September 17, 2011) someone else was in the store for the same reason.

Regards,

Siv

Originally Posted by ScottN88 (Post 15393574)
My problem was discoloration at the tips of the collar. Jos A.Banks said they never had a prior complaint, but I don't believe them.

My dry cleaner this is an industry known issue and they provided me with a copy of the Textile Analysis Bulletins (TABs) #382 which addresses the issue.

In short, some shirts have to much bonding material used during construction and the heat of an iron causes the darkening.

If you want a copy of what was given to me, drop me a private message and I will pass along.

Jos A. Banks was more than happy to exchange the shirt.

BearX220 Sep 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by siv1870 (Post 17142486)
...my Professional Cleaner (my shirts are washed and ironed, not dry cleaned) tells me this is an industry wide problem due to shirt manufacturers using glue in the collar as a cheap workaround to avoid additional stitching and quality work...

Thanks for the information. The Jos A Bank shirts are great and I have about 20 of them in rotation -- they're my primary on-the-road shirt. But they must be pretty cheaply made as you can usually get them for $20-$25 despite their fake $75+/-list price.

The polos are great too, just picked up a bunch for $20.

wharvey Sep 21, 2011 8:19 am

I also hate the roller-coaster pricing.

I have learned to buy them when I can get them for $25 or less (especially since I need the larger sizes). I do love the shirts though.

I also love their polos... something about the feel. I tried them out when they had a major sale $9.99 each... and wear them whenever I can!

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 17142541)
Thanks for the information. The Jos A Bank shirts are great and I have about 20 of them in rotation -- they're my primary on-the-road shirt. But they must be pretty cheaply made as you can usually get them for $20-$25 despite their fake $75+/-list price.

The polos are great too, just picked up a bunch for $20.

kipper Sep 21, 2011 12:25 pm

We're lucky enough to have one of their outlet stores about an hour away from where my parents live, so Mr. Kipper usually will stop in there when we're nearby. He's picked up suits for $30, with jackets at $20, pants at $10, IIRC.

u600213 Sep 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Only staining problems I have had are related to my slovenly dining style.

I like the shirts but the full cut is not as full as some other brands.

ColWoody Mar 16, 2012 11:08 am

Jos Banks traveller shirt discoloration

Had the same problem with a French blue shirt. Finally deduced it was due to the stain resistant treatment being washed out. I bought a can of Scotch Guard, treated the shirt; problem solved!