Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

The Portable Armrest

The Portable Armrest

Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

The Portable Armrest

What does it say about our society that it has invented this, the portable armrest?

It's a mini-straightjacket-looking thing that you slip over both your elbows. Voila! Instant armrest, without worry about accidentally coming into contact with the human being sitting beside you.

I have not tested this product personally, because it looks stupid.

High Road Travel Armrest - XL [Walmart] (Thanks to Hilary!)

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/the-p...ors-elbow.html
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by weekilter
What does it say about our society that it has invented this, the portable armrest?

It's a mini-straightjacket-looking thing that you slip over both your elbows. Voila! Instant armrest, without worry about accidentally coming into contact with the human being sitting beside you.

I have not tested this product personally, because it looks stupid.

High Road Travel Armrest - XL [Walmart] (Thanks to Hilary!)

http://consumerist.com/2010/10/the-p...ors-elbow.html
If one is trying to sleep economy class long haul, if everyone wore them, everyone would get more sleep.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
My tummy does the same job .
Old Oct 14, 2010, 8:57 pm

I feel like if I saw someone using this I would be concerned and looking for his/her "handler".

I also feel like you could do something similar on the fly with a sweater. You'll still look ridiculous, but at least you don't look ridiculous and spent money on such a limited product.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Ha, ha (okay, can't stop laughing about this ) I'm sure between the airlines, pilots, FA & FT's alike, everyone will come up with a creative use of this device, and easily adaptable to restrain (_ _ _ _ _ _ _) pax on a given flight by FAM or others as needed (duct tapes will enhance its effectiveness, no doubt .... )

The last time I saw something like this, the device was prescribed for use at an in-patient psych. hospital wards and even in day rooms for "care management" purposes. But, more humane ways of dealing with clients (patients) are available nowadays without resorting to these restrains, which could trigger an acute response & raise the stress factors to a higher level.

Besides, being fixated into such immobile position for the flyers - able to sleep for extended period while crusing at +30,000 ft. level can be detrimental to one's circulatory system & blood flow, especially bad for those with other pre-existing medicals, etc. I will stick with my foam and/or microbeaded pillows along with soft flannel pillow cases to rest my arms on/with it

Next invention for the FT, thank you ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.