Reload this Page >

Kirkland 22" Carry On (new design)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kirkland 22" Carry On (new design)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:27 pm

For the folks that have this, the weight doesn't bother you? I have been using one of Eddie Bauer's rolling duffles and was happy with it until I had to gate check it and certain things that I would not call fragile did not survive. I am hoping a bag with more structure would prevent that, but 11.25 lbs empty sounds heavy.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:50 pm

I keep telling people that international travel has more to do with the carry-on's weight than the dimensions. Anyways, yes, this bag is a bit heavy for intl travel.

Also another thing is that it's very deep. I don't know if they made it more shallow. When I measured mine about 3 years ago it was 10 inches deep. The sizer at the airport is right at 10 inches. And when I put stuff in it, it got to be close to 11 inches. At that point, it doesn't fit the sizer unless you pushed it really hard.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by Mellonc
I keep telling people that international travel has more to do with the carry-on's weight than the dimensions.

Also another thing is that it's very deep.
This. Ime, these are the most fundamental considerations for selecting a carry-on (non-RJ, obviously).

On recent international flights, had it weighed (on SQ) and domestic USA flights saw (UA) saw GA challenging bags based on depth.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 6:01 pm

I just ordered one of these bags from Costco.com. I also picked up the 4 wheel spinner version but plan to return it.

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but are these still considered a decent bag for the money? I travel with my family a few times a year, not a really heavy traveler.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: Gold DL, Silver UA, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Hurry & order quick.
Kirkland 22" (21.5") is available at Costco online again for those waiting/wanting one - loved mine, used that for 2 week Asia trip last year and 7 night Bermuda cruise last month. Still amazed at how much it can pack, especially expanded sides out & a bit of laundry on the road.
Silly me. I kept putting off buying the two wheeled version once they were selling it again and now it isn't on the website anymore. Anyone know of a way to get it? I hate spinner luggage and this Kirkland was my powerhouse luggage for years.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by qmiro
... I kept putting off buying the two wheeled version once they were selling it again and now it isn't on the website anymore. Anyone know of a way to get it? ... this Kirkland was my powerhouse luggage for years.
I hear ya. Checkout eBay - there are new ones out there at prices similar to Costco or slightly higher, sometimes, just make sure the shipping fees are included - as those could cost an arm & a leg.

A # of spinners on the site but not the 22.75" rollers - keep checking Costco, they seemed to get them in batches & will sell upon availability.

Just took mine on a 1,600 nautical mi. for a 7 day cruise, expanded the zipper on the return as we picked up some items in ports - had it checked both ways - it's heavy but the solid built/frame is the key to its durability.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
I'd like to find of the larger 26/27" check-in models, but those are far rarer than the 22" version. Sadly.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:53 pm

I don't know if this has been discussed earlier in the thread, but it looks like Costco will be bringing back a two-wheeled version in September.

Source: reply to a review on Costco's website
"Thank you for your feedback regarding the Kirkland Signature Softside Spinner 22" Carry-On. We’re sorry you’ve had a disappointing experience. Many travelers love the increased mobility and maneuverability of a 4-wheel bag, and we’ve optimized the design of this bag to have the maximum packing capacity possible for a spinner carry-on that complies with airline size requirements. As a fan of the older model, you’ll be pleased to know that we have a new version of the 2-wheel Kirkland Signature Carry-On which will be available on-line mid-September. This bag will be a great choice for travelers who want more packing space in a carry-on."
Old Nov 14, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Newest version a bit lower quality overall but still good value

I replaced my second Costco Kirkland 22” roller and this one is smaller and of slightly lesser perceived quality. It probably won’t matter because the failure mode for these suitcases is that the handle eventually no longer retracts or extends as the internal release mechanism doesn’t last nearly as long as the rest of the bag. The last one made about 1MM miles over the last 6 years— and when the handle no longer worked Costco refunded my purchase. The larger wheels are nice but the old wheels never showed any wear. The skids under the old case wore through but it never mattered as there was more to wear and plenty of life left. I wish I could have replaced the retractable handle on the old one and kept it another bunch of years!
skipaway likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looking at the new 2 wheeler (4 wheelers drive me crazy) i'm struck by the built in suit carrier. Takes up a lot of room.

The reviews are way dissapointeed. Costco needs to bring back the old ones. Anyone know if u can still find different designs at overseas costcos? The taiwan ones used to carry 20" kirkland suitcases for example.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
This 4 wheel spinner 22” Costco bag is now in the reduced section of the Costco website. $79.97 plus 9.99 shipping. Not sure if these are available in stores.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign...100465030.html
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
noticed that stores stopped carrying them. didn't sell well. maybe a refresh coming?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.