Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stack, piggyback, carryon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Stack, piggyback, carryon

Looking to purchase wheeled carryon and smaller piece that can stack and piggyback. I want something that fits wheels in on its side and won't need to be checked, ever but not planning any Asian trips. Would prefer second piece to be backpack style or even better, crossbody. Lightweight for trains and steps, casual is fine. Would really like the stacked pieces to stand up without support.
Current piece is discontinued Samsonite 20" without wheels and is a great size, but figuring out the actual dimensions of luggage online seems tricky. Also have Osprey Porter that's a good size, but really need the wheels. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:12 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm absolutely delighted with Travelite Delite, the 20" trolley and the matching cabin bag. The downside is that it is only carried in Germany and you must pay to have it shipped. The upside is that you then don't pay VAT. You need to contact Koffer Direkt and get them to commit to not charging the 50 euros shipping on the cabin bag, as it will easily slide in the same box that the 20" trolley is shipped in. Check the sticky at the top of the forum on light bags. It took me a long time to get to this bag, largely due to the inconvenience of having to buy in Germany. Now that I have it, I wouldn't give it up.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Do you recall how long it took to ship?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 6:31 am

I’d say stick to the 20” size as they are the least controversial when you’re flying international. You can check out this 20” wide body carry-on (http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...Upright_U420XW) from Briggs & Riley. It’s wider than a regular 20” carry-on bags, thus giving you more packing space while fitting in the overhead bin of most aircraft. I am not sure if you need the second piece as a personal carry-on (since you’re allowed only two pieces), but see if you like this messenger bag. You can wear it cross body and it has a slip through back pocket you can use to stack it on top of your rolling carry-on.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:08 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by megshee
Thanks! Do you recall how long it took to ship?
It was sent by DHL Express, and came within a week or so (including going thru customs). I prefer the traditional 20" trolley to the one subsequently recommended. A lot of airplane aisles are barely wider than the upright 20" trolley. I would have to lift and carry a wide body one. And this one fits very easily wheels first into the overhead bin.

By the way, welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.

I expect further size/weight restrictions and the B/R seems heavy. I stumbled on an EC Tarmac 20 in a luggage repair shop and for less than $100, had to try it and can always use it on domestic flights. Will look at the Travelite in Germany this fall, looks like it has more room with less weight. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Aug 5, 2010, 5:56 am

brx

Briggs and Riley has the BRX series where the backpack clips onto the carryon for ease when you are places but the separate so one is your personal bag and one is the carryon. I really like the design of this. However, I need to measure it again as I am concerned that the wheels portion is 12 inches deep on the carryon and could be a problem putting it into the overhead -- but I will look at it again. The carruon does expand but it is not a zip around expansion -- instead the top side zips open to be the same width as the wheels section.

Eagle Creek makes a similar setup but I do not like the configuration of their suitcases as well. However, people who do love them so it may work for you.

I usually travel with a backpack and a carryon but the backpack I have will not sit on top or clip onto the carryon -- and it does get heavy so I am looking for a different configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.