Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

"Wide Body" luggage in overhead? Opinions requested!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I recently purchased a TUMI "Wide Body" "carry on" (20" x 15.75" x 8.5") and was informed by the store as well as on TUMI's website that it would "easily fit in the overhead of domestic and international" flights. However, I was unable to get it into the overhead compartments on Delta international flights from the US to Asia on Boeing 767 planes.

It was a close fit but not close enough and a steward took and checked it and charged me. I was attempting to place it in the overhead with the longest length facing the aisle since it wasn't even close to fitting by attempting to get it to fit with the longest length facing the side.

I returned it today to the store where I purchased it and the owner said, "all luggage in all flights should be placed in the overhead with the long side (20") facing the side and that I was simply doing it wrong. I remarked that I had attempted this but that it was not even close to fitting. He said in all flights he's been on "the announce every three minutes to place your luggage long side facing the side. I fly all the time and have never heard this before.

At any rate, can some provide some light for me on this issue? What has the been the experience with other travels when it comes to "wide body" carry-ons? Are ALL luggage placed "wheels first" into the overhead? Was is the biggest dimensions that will fit in most overheads for "most" international flights?

The store owner made me feel like a fool and stupid and I want to see if it's my experiences or his that are the most common.
Thanks,
Tracy
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:01 am

When you mean longest side facing the side, I presume you mean placing the bag wheels first into the overhead? This indeed is a common request on most carriers as it (in theory) maximizes use of space.

Some 767s are noted for having particularly small bins, but it sounds like the actual measurements of the Tumi may be slightly bigger than described.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
DL's standard on their website which is identical to the airlines standard for carry on is 22 by 14 by 9. My trusted carry on is an inch or two smaller than that at 20 by 13 by 8. I have never had problems with any airline taking it as my carryon.

There is no way that TUMI of your will fit any carryon sizer.

The owner of the luggage store should know better.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The owner of that luggage store just plain lied trying to save the sale.

He is so wrong!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tgroom
I was attempting to place it in the overhead with the longest length facing the aisle since it wasn't even close to fitting by attempting to get it to fit with the longest length facing the side.

I returned it today to the store where I purchased it and the owner said, "all luggage in all flights should be placed in the overhead with the long side (20") facing the side and that I was simply doing it wrong... The store owner made me feel like a fool and stupid and I want to see if it's my experiences or his that are the most common...
You were lied to. Rollaboards should fit into the bins with wheels down and facing you, longest length perpendicular to the aisle. Any bigger, and you are hogging bin space; even if it fits you're forcing other pax to gate-check their bags. Your Tumi bag is too tall to comply and the store owner's statement about "all luggage on all flights" is 100% false. I'd return the bag if I were you.

If you fly internationally a lot, you should also know that on most overseas airlines, carry-on bag limits are stingier than those on US carriers, and more fiercely enforced. Some limit you to 7kg or 8kg. Your Tumi bag wouldn't even be allowed aboard some of those other carriers.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
If it's this bag and if the measurements are accurate, then it really ought to fit with the long side perpendicular to the aisle. However, it seems to be fairly common for stated measurements not to include the entirety of the wheels and handle.

BUT... a bag that is 15+ inches wide is not a permitted carry-on: the maximum width is 14 inches. That's supposed to make it possible to fit the bag under the seat in conventional aircraft. Of course everyone wants to put the larger carry-on overhead and use the under-seat space for a personal item, if for anything other than their own feet, and it wouldn't fit under the seat in an RJ or smaller plane anyway.

I don't think anyone has asked - was the overhead compartment into which it wouldn't fit over an outside section or over the center section?
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Not that it matters, but that bag should have easily wheels first or sideways.

Granted it's too wide to be a legal carry on on many airlines, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't fit into the bins.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

"Wide Body" update...

Thanks everyone for really good advice. I really appreciate it!
This morning I called the Portland (Oregon) Luggage's other store in Beaverton and, not identifying myself, asked if they have received feedback on the TUMI wide body models not fitting into overheads. The salesperson said, "Oh, yes, people often say that on a three segment trip, they will have problems with the bag on at least one of the segments..." Hmmm. Seems the owner needs to make sure all of his employees repeat the same line...

At any rate, I was able to return the bag (and get a store credit), so I bought a Briggs and Riley 19 x 14 x 9 wheeled carry on. Yeah, it's quite a bit smaller, but I know it will fit now. And I figure with the recent trends in the airline industry the bins are likely to get smaller and not bigger, and with more competition for room. I fly mostly international flights to some, well, dicey places and airports (I leave Monday to teach near New Delhi for five months. True, I will have to check a much bigger bag, but for my trips within India I will only use my new B and R 19"), and I find it comforting that my bag is over my head and not a different flight... Well, this may be naive on my part, but why would TUMI advertise that this "bag fits easily into all domestic and international overhead bins" if people end up unhappily returning them?
Kgmm77: Yes, when I wrote "longest side facing the side" I meant the wheels first. However, trying it this way wasn't even close, so, yes, this TUMI must be actually bigger than advertised.

BearX220: Yeah, I fly internationally a lot and don't wanna be a space hog, so my new bag should allow me to easily store it "feet first."
kochleffel and cordelli: I first tried placing the bag in an overhead both the in the middle section of the plane and on the side, and it didn't seem to make much difference. Yes, I attempted (and then the steward tried...) to place it with the long side perpendicular to the aisle, and what appeared to be happening is that the back side of the bin sloped down rapidly and was hitting the top of the bag and not allowing it to move back further. So the bad appeared to be too thick for the bin. No, it wasn't zipped out or expanded, and I didn't have anything in the pockets. Now, had this bag been a slightly (it was close but not close enough!) narrower model (even a 15") it probably would have fit, but it stuck out just enough so that the bin door would not snap shut.
Well, I won't be returning to Portland Luggage (Why would the owner tell the customer he doesn't know what he's doing or talking about and that "no one has ever heard of that problem before"), but I now have a carry-on that can actaully be carried on.

Last edited by tgroom; Jul 31, 2010 at 6:26 pm
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
I suppose your Tumi bag would fit on most planes with conventional overhead bins (that don't tilt down). However, I can see how the DL767 would be a problem. My bag just fits with the long side parallel to the length of the plane. It's 22x14.25x8.75.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tgroom
Thanks everyone for really good advice. I really appreciate it!
I fly mostly international flights to some, well, dicey places and airports (I leave Monday to teach near New Delhi for five months. True, I will have to check a much bigger bag, but for my trips within India I will only use my new B and R 19"), and I find it comforting that my bag is over my head and not a different flight... .
Welcome to FT... Delhi's new international terminal just opened, would be great to get a trip report when you get a chance...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...l-3-opens.html

All the best with the teaching gig...
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:50 am

I can see where you'd have trouble fitting it into an overhead due to its thickness.

I have both the Tumi continental 20" wide-body and the B&R 20" wide-body bags. The B&R is BY FAR better than the Tumi when it comes to weight, size and maneuverability. It is 1" slimmer than the Tumi, which looks huge and doesn't conform to the posted specs.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I saw a TravelPro wide body 20" bag at a discounter, T J Maxx and gave it a good look over.

The bag looked used. The store manager was nearby and said it had been returned at least once.

For $35 is was a good deal for someone who would use it for a car trip.

I didn't buy it.
Old May 29, 2014, 5:15 pm

Tumi Wide Body

I bought a Tumi Continental 20" wide body last year. I flew with it on Delta but on an Airbus with the drop down luggage bins and it fit fine. It also fit fine on KLM connections thru Europe. This year I am on a DL 767-300 but in Business Class. Are Business Class bins any bigger than coach? Any info would be appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.