Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bargain Rimowas (and other Luggage) from Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Rimowa Luggage

Hi - my first post on Flyers - sorry if I'm out of line but this may be of interest:

I bought my first Rimowa at Vienna Airport Duty Free. Then found out I could get tax back - about 12% just by showing the receipt to the customs desk, getting it stamped and then getting the money at the Tax back window. I was flying out of the EU, otherwise it wouldn't have worked.

I bought a carry-on with four wheels. They are so much better than the two wheels: with all the queuing you have to do everywhere nowadays, you can just nudge the thing along instead of having to have a hand free to pull it along - makes such a difference. BUT you do have to keep an eye on them that they don't roll away. Like the classic runaway baby pram, this one took off on the railway station and dropped onto the trackbed in front of an oncoming train. I got one hell of a shock. But it landed safely and I was able to retrieve it undamaged - not a scratch to be seen.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by natasha69
thank you for your quick reply. i'll post my results once i receive the items.
Hi, I live in Arizona and just curious if you have received your bag(s) yet. Last time I checked the bags I ordered at at ISC USPS New York since Jan 6th. I am getting really nervous now after I read some feedback online about the ISC in New York taking forever to clear customs.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:56 am

Hello all,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to purchase a Rimowa Topas carry on. Any suggestions for finding one at a reduced cost?

Cheers!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Hi Jacob-

Are you asking about a purchase while travelling though Germany, or online ?

General options by cost are:

1. LH Worldshop, in Germany.
2. Rimowa-authorized stores in Germany.
3. German Department stores like Kaufhof / KaDewe.
4. Online from a Rimowa dealer.
5. Directly from a Rimowa store in your country.

The first three options require the purchase to be made within Germany, with the item taken out by the purchaser, AFTER inspection to receive any VAT rebate. The inspection form needs to be correct with matching purchase documentation. Once that is done and stamped, the rebate can be done anywhere within the EU.

I have made purchases over the years using options 1, 3, & 5, the last being in Germany. The latter is a frontier or border we share, so it is a quick drive across. Over many decades of travel with Rimowa products, I really value the services I have received as a store customer.

Based on comments posted here on FT, your savings with a purchase in Germany can be as high as 50 %, when compared to other countries, especially Asia.

I hope this is helpful. There is much here on FT in prior threads to read on the subject.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Swissaire
Hi Jacob-

Are you asking about a purchase while travelling though Germany, or online ?

General options by cost are:

1. LH Worldshop, in Germany.
2. Rimowa-authorized stores in Germany.
3. German Department stores like Kaufhof / KaDewe.
4. Online from a Rimowa dealer.
5. Directly from a Rimowa store in your country.

The first three options require the purchase to be made within Germany, with the item taken out by the purchaser, AFTER inspection to receive any VAT rebate. The inspection form needs to be correct with matching purchase documentation. Once that is done and stamped, the rebate can be done anywhere within the EU.

I have made purchases over the years using options 1, 3, & 5, the last being in Germany. The latter is a frontier or border we share, so it is a quick drive across. Over many decades of travel with Rimowa products, I really value the services I have received as a store customer.

Based on comments posted here on FT, your savings with a purchase in Germany can be as high as 50 %, when compared to other countries, especially Asia.

I hope this is helpful. There is much here on FT in prior threads to read on the subject.

Thanks Swissair. I'm in the US, and from what I've read - there's not longer a great way to purchase a Rimowa and have it shipped here. Seems like my best bet would be to go to a shop while in Germany. Any US alternatives?

I also see that Lufthansa miles seem to be a good way to purchase one, but I'll have to do some research on getting a VAT refund on miles. Haha. And, it may be more valuable to use those miles for travel and spend the cash on the suitcase.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:20 pm

Morgen Jacobslide -

MILES:

Been there, as they say.
As good as cash, as it took you cash in airfare tickets to earn your Miles.

To paraphrase Mr. Burton in the "Where Eagles Dare, " a purchase, is a purchase, is a purchase. Cash, credit, or Miles, you are helping LH Worldshop, Rimowa, and Germany export product.

Just ensure that your receipt shows the purchase price of the Rimowa item from LH WS, date, ID Nr. on your case, and the store. That information is usually on your sales receipt, but always check and never assume it is correct. Allow extra time, as this is your first experience, even if the purchase is within MUC, or FRA.

Same to same regarding the correct rebate form: Ask and verify.

Note, you must exit from Germany WITH the Rimowa items, and cannot ship them using FEDEX, PELIKAN, DHL, Hermes, etc. Only with you, as your carry-on or checked luggage.

Again, anytime. Thanks for the nice comments !

Last edited by Swissaire; Jul 24, 2014 at 11:26 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: Most of them
Originally Posted by natasha69
(snip)
One question though that you guys would know - how long has it taken to get the luggage from Koffer24? (snip)
One of my orders came in 6 days. One in 6 weeks after I asked paypal to investigate and escalated the claim. That said they had the best prices for topas stealth including dasbags
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A friend of mine based in Munich recently made a good deal buying a Rimowa at Hetzenecker which is a store in downtown Munich right at Stachus/Karlsplatz. They went down 10% on the list price without asking. When he showed them some options he found at kofferdirekt (he bought a printout) they went down another 5% and a further 5% when he offered to pay cash. At checkout he asked if paying with a debit card is the same as the cash options they were OK with that. So he's currently a happy camper getting a 20% discount on Rimowa list prices.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by fracmeister
One of my orders came in 6 days. One in 6 weeks after I asked paypal to investigate and escalated the claim. That said they had the best prices for topas stealth including dasbags
They still do not support shipping to the US, correct?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by jacobslide
They still do not support shipping to the US, correct?
No that is not correct. Sort of. If you go online and order and try to pay by cc the sites typically blow up when you try to ship to the US...for example kofferdirect.de

But here is the trick. Add the items to your cart and go straight to "pay with paypal" this bypasses the part of checkout tht checks this, removes the VAT and off it goes!

This has been working well. Don't mess it up!
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:23 pm

heading to munich and looking for a good carry on, any brands beside rimowa? its abit too expensive for someone who started working, travel 6-10 times/year.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by fracmeister
No that is not correct. Sort of. If you go online and order and try to pay by cc the sites typically blow up when you try to ship to the US...for example kofferdirect.de

But here is the trick. Add the items to your cart and go straight to "pay with paypal" this bypasses the part of checkout tht checks this, removes the VAT and off it goes!

This has been working well. Don't mess it up!
FT Member "sea_jeff" claims the loophole is closed. See the other thread 'Reasonable Rimowa prices"

fracmeister? Have you had success with the P@yp@al loophole in the last month?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by dko3tgk
FT Member "sea_jeff" claims the loophole is closed. See the other thread 'Reasonable Rimowa prices"

fracmeister? Have you had success with the P@yp@al loophole in the last month?
I have all I need but I am taking by wife to Europe. We will see if we come back with more than we left with!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Just bought a Topas MultiWheel IATA today and I thought they were all made in Germany but this one has Made in Canada on it. Bought at the San Francisco Rimowa store.

Wish I could have gotten it cheaper but I'm not flying to Germany any time soon and can't rely / wait for the online route.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 pm

My friend is going to Berlin next week and is willing to buy a Rimow for me but I don't want her to carry it all around europe with her. What would the cheapest way to ship it back to the US? I tried looking up prices on deutsche post but i couldn't get it to work. Also tried looking on DHL but it was showing $500+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.