Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline 20" Exp. Wide Body– Smart Choice for Light Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review: Briggs & Riley Baseline 20" Exp. Wide Body– Smart Choice for Light Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:52 pm

20" widebody roller bags

I'm new to flyertalk. I'm wondering whether the new 20" widebody bags roll down the central isle of coach on AA at 16" wide. tom921
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:06 pm

Does not fit

Originally Posted by tom921
I'm new to flyertalk. I'm wondering whether the new 20" widebody bags roll down the central isle of coach on AA at 16" wide. tom921
I have not been able to roll my 20" B&R down the aisle of any AA craft or SWA.
I have to pick it up and lug it.

Often, it is packed full, and if I have crammed anything in the zipper pocket on the front, it will not fit in the overhead bin. This is without expanding it.

If anyone is looking for one, mine is up for sale.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:52 pm

Thanks dcvibe for the info. I wonder if anyone recommends the 20" wide-body with the spinner wheels ( ie. Rimowa Salsa.)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 1:48 pm

looking at this also

I purchased the 22 inch Tumi at Costco and took it on a trip only to find out that it is too deep to fit into the overhead -- so I brought it back and looked at a lot of others. What I have found is that none of the hang tags refer to the actual dimensions of the bag and that the airlines are not standard anywhere so what one might accept another won't. I started taking a tape measure with me to try to figure out the real dimensions. I also started out thinking as long as I was 45 inches or less, that would be ok. It's not -- companies like Delta and American take that 45 inch measurement and set maximums for length; depth, and width as well. Which concerns me about the 16 inch wide vs the 14 inch wide.

I have never had to measure a bag or been told it had to be checked and I would like to avoid that in the future.

Tumi's bag turned out to be 11.5-12 inches in depth unexpanded and empty. That is not unusual as many manufacturers do not include the additional pockets when measuring. B&R appears not to add in the wheel frame -- which adds about an inch to the depth. I prefer the flat packing of the B&R. It also appears to me that most of the cases with the wheels internal intrude 2-2.5 inches into the suitcase. And although I can pack undies and shoes there, it requires me to always unpack to get my clothes for the day. I am not going to use a suiter and all of my travel is leisure. That said, I did like the zip suiter with the removable piece == I found that I could pace 2 pairs of jeans, 4 pairs of shorts a skirt and a pair of capris on that side and my shirts and shoes on the other side. In fact I put a pair of heels, a pair of sneakers, two lightweight jackets, two lightweight cardigans, three summer sweaters; pj's a camisole, 3 pairs of flat sandles and 5 t shirts into the suitcase without a problem ( way more than I would usually take - I wanted to know how much it would hold). On the Transcend series, I can put my gore tex jacket into the front mesh pocket -- but it will not fit that way in the overhead -- still for walking around it is nice to have a place to put it -- and if I put it in a ditty bag that can be slipped over the clips so I cannot lose it. I liked the possibility of having my tops and bottoms separate.

The Transcend has "shoe pockets" on the suiter side but if they do not fit my sneakers I can't imagine them fitting a man's. That said, it is a good place to put undies and socks an be able to get at them without having to unpack.

I do like the widebody because I think it is easier to fold shirts but I am concerned that it will not fit into the boxes that are 14 inches wide at the airport. And my husband points out that it will be more difficult to go down the aisles on the airplane.

I brought home the widebody to play with and really liked but wanted it in green, not red. Thought I had found that at another store -- only to find that it was mistagged when I got it home. It is the 21 inch carryon that is 14 inches wide. So I have played with that as well. Both of them appear to me to be a good bet -- so the question is which one is less likely to be forced to be checked?

I might be concerned about the external wheels but they have such a good warranty -- I would expect that it would be just fine. I like the small pocket in back where I can stash my phone and wallet and wet items before going through security.

I cannot travel with only one carryon -- I have used a dayback for toiletries, husband's shaver, books, hair dryer, curling iron, glasses and sunglasses etc. But with just that I expect to be able to travel for 2-3 weeks on vacation.

I did want the expansion for items I might purchase when away -- not quite as worried on the return than I would be getting to my destination without any clothes.

So I am still deciding and all feedback about the widebody vs the 21 inch is appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by dcvibe
I have not been able to roll my 20" B&R down the aisle of any AA craft or SWA.
I have to pick it up and lug it.

Often, it is packed full, and if I have crammed anything in the zipper pocket on the front, it will not fit in the overhead bin. This is without expanding it.

If anyone is looking for one, mine is up for sale.
I just read this post after having bought the BR 20" Wide Body online a few hours ago! How is it possible that NO ONE else commented on the fact that it cannot be rolled down the aisle of most major US Airlines? Can a second party please confirm this before I call to cancel my order?

Which BR should I get instead? The Baseline 22" Expandable?

Thank you.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Yvette1
I just read this post after having bought the BR 20" Wide Body online a few hours ago! How is it possible that NO ONE else commented on the fact that it cannot be rolled down the aisle of most major US Airlines? Can a second party please confirm this before I call to cancel my order?

Thank you.

Not to rude, but I would have thought that just by looking at it, it would have been obvious that it wouldn't fit in the Y aisle of most US registered airliners.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Not to rude, but I would have thought that just by looking at it, it would have been obvious that it wouldn't fit in the Y aisle of most US registered airliners.
If you read Flyertalk enough you might gain the impression that Flyertalkers rarely fly in Y But yes, to me it's pretty clear that a 20" wide body would have an issue, especially because it wasn't exactly easy to get my 18" regular Samsonite through a UA 763 3-class.

Last edited by PFKMan23; Jul 23, 2010 at 9:19 am
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
If you read Flyertalk enough you might gain the impression that Flyertalkers rarely fly in Y
Indeed. So few of us even know that you can even turn right when boarding an aircraft.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:51 pm

I am able to roll mine just fine down to seat 25C on an American Airlines flight a couple months back. There is definitely less margin for error though.

Originally Posted by Yvette1

Thank you.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:21 am

Programs: AC75K, Amex AeroPlat, HHonours Silver
I have the widebody expandable and it rolls down all the Air Canada E70 and E90s I've been on. It's tight but it fits.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AD_Astra
I have the widebody expandable and it rolls down all the Air Canada E70 and E90s I've been on. It's tight but it fits.
You must have good lane discipline.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 4:57 am

Wide Body on a Delta 767

Originally Posted by ERtraveler
Okay so the 20' exp widebody doesn't fit on a UA 763? I frequently fly in that aircraft and I was considering buying this bag. Anyone else experience the same? What other planes does this bag not fit into?
I could not get my TUMI 20 inch wide body to fit in the overhead of a Delta (Boeing) 767. Close fit but not close enough. Unfortunately, the 767 seems to be a very common plane internationally.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

When I saw that there were wide body rollers my first reaction was "what are they thinking"? Current bags are too big and carry on restrictions becoming MORE stringent. So they make bigger bags? Rollers need to be lighter, have more space relative to dimensions and more flexible organizational features. Not be bigger.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9650/5.0.0.732 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

When I saw that there were wide body rollers my first reaction was "what are they thinking"? Current bags are too big and carry on restrictions becoming MORE stringent. So they make bigger bags? Rollers need to be lighter, have more space relative to dimensions and more flexible organizational features. Not be bigger.
I agree, I wish that there was more intelligence put into this. It can't be that hard to react to the airlines making carryon life a misery. I like wheely bags but may go back to soft sided for the crushability-into-sizer effect.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by kapmap
I purchased the 22 inch Tumi at Costco and took it on a trip only to find out that it is too deep to fit into the overhead -- so I brought it back and looked at a lot of others. What I have found is that none of the hang tags refer to the actual dimensions of the bag and that the airlines are not standard anywhere so what one might accept another won't. I started taking a tape measure with me to try to figure out the real dimensions. I also started out thinking as long as I was 45 inches or less, that would be ok. It's not -- companies like Delta and American take that 45 inch measurement and set maximums for length; depth, and width as well. Which concerns me about the 16 inch wide vs the 14 inch wide.

I have never had to measure a bag or been told it had to be checked and I would like to avoid that in the future.

Tumi's bag turned out to be 11.5-12 inches in depth unexpanded and empty. That is not unusual as many manufacturers do not include the additional pockets when measuring. B&R appears not to add in the wheel frame -- which adds about an inch to the depth. I prefer the flat packing of the B&R. It also appears to me that most of the cases with the wheels internal intrude 2-2.5 inches into the suitcase. And although I can pack undies and shoes there, it requires me to always unpack to get my clothes for the day. I am not going to use a suiter and all of my travel is leisure. That said, I did like the zip suiter with the removable piece == I found that I could pace 2 pairs of jeans, 4 pairs of shorts a skirt and a pair of capris on that side and my shirts and shoes on the other side. In fact I put a pair of heels, a pair of sneakers, two lightweight jackets, two lightweight cardigans, three summer sweaters; pj's a camisole, 3 pairs of flat sandles and 5 t shirts into the suitcase without a problem ( way more than I would usually take - I wanted to know how much it would hold). On the Transcend series, I can put my gore tex jacket into the front mesh pocket -- but it will not fit that way in the overhead -- still for walking around it is nice to have a place to put it -- and if I put it in a ditty bag that can be slipped over the clips so I cannot lose it. I liked the possibility of having my tops and bottoms separate.

The Transcend has "shoe pockets" on the suiter side but if they do not fit my sneakers I can't imagine them fitting a man's. That said, it is a good place to put undies and socks an be able to get at them without having to unpack.

I do like the widebody because I think it is easier to fold shirts but I am concerned that it will not fit into the boxes that are 14 inches wide at the airport. And my husband points out that it will be more difficult to go down the aisles on the airplane.

I brought home the widebody to play with and really liked but wanted it in green, not red. Thought I had found that at another store -- only to find that it was mistagged when I got it home. It is the 21 inch carryon that is 14 inches wide. So I have played with that as well. Both of them appear to me to be a good bet -- so the question is which one is less likely to be forced to be checked?

I might be concerned about the external wheels but they have such a good warranty -- I would expect that it would be just fine. I like the small pocket in back where I can stash my phone and wallet and wet items before going through security.

I cannot travel with only one carryon -- I have used a dayback for toiletries, husband's shaver, books, hair dryer, curling iron, glasses and sunglasses etc. But with just that I expect to be able to travel for 2-3 weeks on vacation.

I did want the expansion for items I might purchase when away -- not quite as worried on the return than I would be getting to my destination without any clothes.

So I am still deciding and all feedback about the widebody vs the 21 inch is appreciated.
I have a fellow traveler who had both the widebody and the 21 inch. I will call him and see if he can chime in, he has a screenname here somewhere.

Last edited by amberdel; Aug 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.