Wiki Posts
Search

Rainwear

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rainwear

We are planning a decent amount of travel in potentially rainy territory and so I'm looking for decent rainwear. I'm after the breatheable but waterproof fabrics, not the cheap but clammy plastic raincoats.

Recommendations?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
We are planning a decent amount of travel in potentially rainy territory and so I'm looking for decent rainwear. I'm after the breatheable but waterproof fabrics, not the cheap but clammy plastic raincoats.

Recommendations?
You should pay attention to what kind of rainy weather you are likely to encounter. Light rain or heavy downpour? Since you said particularly rainy territory, I assume it;s heavy rain. You expect heavy rain for extended periods lasting days or heavy downpour at a certain time of the day every day and clear weather the rest of the day? I have been to places where it rained everyday for 30-45 minutes around 4:00 p.m. and yet some others where it rained just before sunset and was clear the rest of the day. If you will be in a clock work kind of rainy weather, not taking an y rain wear might be the best choice.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Mrs Paint Horse and I used standard North Face raingear in Alaska last year in June. It worked quite well.

I use it now while working around the place when it is cool and wet.

I can check the exact part numbers if you need them.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I use an L.L. Bean coat with GORE-TEX. It kept me 100% dry during the almost daily rain in Maine last summer...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we have trenchcoats that accept down interliner, and 3-3.5" broad brim hats. bring extra sox and extra shoes. pants get soaked from the bottom of the coat to the ground.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Both Lands End and Eddie Bauer offer incredible waterproof jackets that look like regular jackets. They have a 3 in one system, where you have the jacket (as one) and a liner for it, be it fleece or down or whatever (that's two) or you can wear them both together if you need waterproof and warmth (three).

I have one of each, they are not inexpensive, but occasionally when the outlets have them it's a great deal. I've worked events in them where it's poured all day and the water did not come through.

Of course, both companies have some really crappy one step above plastic stuff too.

They offer matching pants if they are needed also.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver

Recommendations?
Where are you going. Big difference between Scotland and Thailand!

Scotland = Goretex
Thailand = Umbrella
Old Feb 16, 2010, 6:38 pm

I also use a trench coat and wide-brimmed hat. But I'm an urban USA/Europe traveler. For hiking I'd definitely choose something else.

Consider weight and versatility in looks and features. Unless you go hiking in rain for hours, absolute waterproof is not needed. This will bring the cost and weight down. It will also open up more options for the look as it won't be so technical looking.

Till
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Where are you going. Big difference between Scotland and Thailand!

Scotland = Goretex
Thailand = Umbrella
Various parts of China.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Parts of China has been experiencing record cold and rain so you might need the best. I've tried many, some quite expensive, and the best for sustained heavy rain is the Eddie Bauer rated Gore-Tex systems (the ones with turned edges for drips, and rated to be dry for more than an hour under a fire hose). Expensive but worth it (however Goretex only works for a few years, then it gums up, so these are limited life). If you want something less expensive, oilskins such as the Australian Driza-bone work well and might be more appropriate for china.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Parts of China has been experiencing record cold and rain so you might need the best. I've tried many, some quite expensive, and the best for sustained heavy rain is the Eddie Bauer rated Gore-Tex systems (the ones with turned edges for drips, and rated to be dry for more than an hour under a fire hose). Expensive but worth it (however Goretex only works for a few years, then it gums up, so these are limited life). If you want something less expensive, oilskins such as the Australian Driza-bone work well and might be more appropriate for china.
Gore-Tex has a limited life? Does that also apply to the various other similar things?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:27 pm

rainwear

travelsmith has some long light weight raincoats with hoods attached for women. (can buy a liner for it ). Unfortunately they or no one else we can find has a similar product for men. The nice thing about long is that the bottom of your pants or slacks do not get wet. or at least not much of them. Same with the attached hood- works, and doesn't take up space in pocket or backpack.

We have something with a separate hat and it is a nuisance.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
In my own experience.....

Gore-Tex has a limited life? Does that also apply to the various other similar things?
Gore-Tex has a limited life when worn in a salt water environment. The new Gore-Tex is much better than the old stuff. For really heavy rain I often wear Frog Toggs (no lining and doesn't breathe.)
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:10 pm

There are many sources of high quality GoreTex raingear: REI, LL Bean, Campmor, Lands End, Eddie Bauer, and Sierra Trading Post are among them. Try Sierra Trading Post for great prices, but with limited and ever-changing selection.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
I've used Frog Toggs for years and cannot complain. Extremely light and packs really small. The other one I use is Marmot. Light weight and keeps you really dry.

http://www.froggtoggs.com/

http://marmot.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.