BYO Shower Head

Old Jan 30, 2010, 10:04 am
Original Poster

BYO Shower Head

Hi,

First time posting here. I've learned a lot by reading this forums over the past several months.

A travel tip, that has dramatically increased the quality of my hotel stays: bring your own shower head. I know, it may sound ridiculous. But poor quality showers at hotels are a major pet peeve, and lately it seems that there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between the quality of a hotel and the quality of its shower.

There seem to be two main problems with hotel showers. First, just not enough pressure. This is often simply due to a water saver being installed in the shower head. Second, the dreaded ring of water. Showers will put out basically a ring of water without any water in the middle of the ring, which requires moving around spastically to try to get yourself covered in water.

In my mind, the best shower heads are not fancy. We have a bunch of these in our house:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...i_sku=12058630

This has two critical features: it does have a water saver, but it's easily removable, and it provides just a ton of full-coverage water.

So you want to remove the water saver in these things. It's pretty easy: it's the red colored thing inside the top of the shower head. Just remove the black washer, then the screen underneath it. Then pry out the red water saver (and the black rubber ring inside of it). Replace the screen, then the washer.

I have a little zip lock bag consisting of one of these doctored shower heads + a little wrench for removing the hotel shower head. This bag is small and barely weighs anything. I bring it with us whenever we travel. At first my wife made fun of me incessantly for doing this. Then she started yelling at me whenever I would occasionally forget to bring it!

Maybe if enough people start doing this, and hotel maids start noticing foreign shower heads installed (and the hotel's own sitting on the shower floor or the bathroom sink counter) hotels will start upgrading their shower heads!

I'm not crazy. I just need a good shower.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:08 pm

I agree!

I found the best shower heads to be the "pre-regulation" Speakman ANYSTREAM 4-jet shower heads.

Just remove the water saver and you're good to go.And the less jets the better because the water pressure is consolidated into 4-jets instead of 6 or 8 or 12 jets.

Needless to say I hate the "rain" style shower heads.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: US Gold
A friend of mine used to do this. I think after a while he just carried a tool to remove the water saver in hotel showerheads...

wg
Old May 28, 2016, 10:36 pm

I've noticed some Hilton-family properties in the US are using tamper-resistant showerheads these days. I guess they got tired of "Leatherman bandits" like me who pull the o-ring that restricts the water flow.

One of these days I'll make a thin little wrench (< 7" long, of course!) and raise hotels' water bills by a full 30˘ when I stay there.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AY+
Seriously guys, what else you tune when you go to hotel
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
The phrase is "take everything but the kitchen sink" and you guys are taking it seriously down to the plumbing supplies.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: QFF WP, VA SG, Hhonors Diamond
Good grief, please don't travel to Australia with these, when at any given time most of the country is in drought!

You learn the art of water conservation growing up somewhere when you're watching your dam levels in the 5% range

Even now when we're flooding instead and most water restrictions have been lifted, my household uses less than 200L/day.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: US Gold
Well, doesn't the length of the shower count? I take short showers, which is easier to do when you have better flow.

wg
Old Jun 19, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I have thought about doing this but never have - probably because I usually travel with only carry-on luggage and I'm sure I'd get stopped for having a wrench.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by k_sheep
Good grief, please don't travel to Australia with these, when at any given time most of the country is in drought!

You learn the art of water conservation growing up somewhere when you're watching your dam levels in the 5% range .
Coming from America, our "water saving" devices are dubious at best, more wasteful than the traditional devices at worst.

Many of the "water saving" toilets here don't flush. A water saving toilet may only use 1.6 gallons/6.0 liters per flush, but when it takes 2-3 flushes, there are no practical savings.

I do realize that there are products on the market which are worthwhile. In my own home I have Asian dual-flush toilets (0.5 gallons / 1.2 gallons) which work great and my washing machine uses 6 gallons-11 gallons per load vs. 40-55 for conventional American machines.

Unfortunately, the devices which work great aren't cheap...and hoteliers often are.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I have a Knipex 86 03 125 in my travel bag. At 3.7 ounces and 5" it's good for up to 7/8" nuts. I haven't yet tried to use it on showerheads ... I wonder whether it's enough.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 12:02 am

Do you replace the hotel shower head when you leave? or do you just leave it on the ground?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.