Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

So I got a Scottevest Evolution jacket . . .

So I got a Scottevest Evolution jacket . . .

Reply

Old Dec 30, 09, 11:34 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
So I got a Scottevest Evolution jacket . . .

On Saturday, when it looked like some airlines were banning carry-ons, I ordered a Scottevest Evolution jacket. For those unfamiliar with this product, it's a nice jacket with removable sleeves that has 25 (that's not a typo) pockets and can actually accommodate a laptop. I'm flying trans-pac today, and the thought of not having my own IFE (movies on the laptop, music on the iPod) was unacceptable.

Well the jacket arrived and I love it. It's very well constructed, has removable sleeves, and the 25 pockets, as advertised. I loaded it up with everything I might conceivably need on the flight -- iPod, Bose headphones, backup earbuds, plus my cellphone, my Blackberry, cigarettes, lighters, a flashlight (you never know), my passport and other stuff that I've already forgotten about. It works perfectly -- well-balanced, more comfortable than slinging a carry-on bag over my shoulder -- there's only one problem: there are so many pockets that I lose things. I just got a call on my cellphone -- I heard my jacket ringing but I couldn't, for the life of me, find the zippered pocket in which I had put my phone.

Still, it worked out fine on my connecting flight from SNA to SFO. My seatmate, a frequent flyer, commented that he was impressed (which may have meant that he was amused) by how much stuff I could put in the jacket. At any rate, I strongly recommend these, particularly for international flights were carry-on number and weight is closely controlled.
PTravel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 11:38 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,769
Thanks for that review! I have been considering one of these for me and you've probably just tipped the scales to the "buy" side of the decision chart.

Had to chuckle when you described hearing your jacket ring but couldn't find the phone, lol.
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 11:50 am
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 41,214
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
On Saturday, when it looked like some airlines were banning carry-ons, I ordered a Scottevest Evolution jacket. For those unfamiliar with this product, it's a nice jacket with removable sleeves that has 25 (that's not a typo) pockets and can actually accommodate a laptop. I'm flying trans-pac today, and the thought of not having my own IFE (movies on the laptop, music on the iPod) was unacceptable.

Well the jacket arrived and I love it. It's very well constructed, has removable sleeves, and the 25 pockets, as advertised. I loaded it up with everything I might conceivably need on the flight -- iPod, Bose headphones, backup earbuds, plus my cellphone, my Blackberry, cigarettes, lighters, a flashlight (you never know), my passport and other stuff that I've already forgotten about. It works perfectly -- well-balanced, more comfortable than slinging a carry-on bag over my shoulder -- there's only one problem: there are so many pockets that I lose things. I just got a call on my cellphone -- I heard my jacket ringing but I couldn't, for the life of me, find the zippered pocket in which I had put my phone.

Still, it worked out fine on my connecting flight from SNA to SFO. My seatmate, a frequent flyer, commented that he was impressed (which may have meant that he was amused) by how much stuff I could put in the jacket. At any rate, I strongly recommend these, particularly for international flights were carry-on number and weight is closely controlled.

Thanks for the review. Is it warm? I was looking at their product line and thinking of getting the fleece. That one I could wear under another jacket (especially as a vest) in cold weather and alone in cool weather. Today it is cold enough here that I wore a fleece vest under a down parka. I have upcoming trips to SAN, SLC (Park City) and RSW which in their own way each challenge the temperature range of outerwear. I was thinking the fleece would be enough alone for the warmer places ( I could wear a jacket over it to JFK and then shove it in a bag) and compliment a parka in Park City.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 12:59 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
I was also thinking of the fleece for the same reason as Gadgetfreak.

I have held off buying one of these for two reasons so far. I hear that the construction and material (especially zippers, and those would be used often) are not that great so that a low price point can be met. The jacket ringing problem or me standing at a cash register and looking for my wallet for two minutes is the other point. When I wear a pair of jeans and an ordinary jacket with four pockets I already have to search. So if I triple the pocket count, I might as well forget about it.

Till
tfar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 1:00 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,488
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
Thanks for the review. Is it warm? I was looking at their product line and thinking of getting the fleece. That one I could wear under another jacket (especially as a vest) in cold weather and alone in cool weather. Today it is cold enough here that I wore a fleece vest under a down parka. I have upcoming trips to SAN, SLC (Park City) and RSW which in their own way each challenge the temperature range of outerwear. I was thinking the fleece would be enough alone for the warmer places ( I could wear a jacket over it to JFK and then shove it in a bag) and compliment a parka in Park City.
I wear the Signature system (Fleece 5.0 and the Quantum Jacket), and it is regularly in the single digits here - and it keeps me nice and warm. When it gets warmer, I can wear just the fleece, or just the jacket.

The Quantum jacket has massive pockets, and a wind/snow buffer.
ScottC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 1:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Rowe Mesa, NM - USA
Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, La Quinta, BW
Posts: 1,753
The newly re-designed ScottEVest site has a "temperature continuum chart" that shows the relative warmth of their products. This might help you make a choice.
Dianne47 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 1:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 298
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
On Saturday, when it looked like some airlines were banning carry-ons, I ordered a Scottevest Evolution jacket. For those unfamiliar with this product, it's a nice jacket with removable sleeves that has 25 (that's not a typo) pockets and can actually accommodate a laptop. I'm flying trans-pac today, and the thought of not having my own IFE (movies on the laptop, music on the iPod) was unacceptable.
Wow, am very impressed. Quick question: is that actually comfortable? I mean fully loaded? And how on eart do you put a laptop inside? (where? tried to find that on their website but didn't see it).

I know they say 'NoBulge' but does that work?
Sebastian_R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 1:41 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ORD
Posts: 56
Thanks for the report, PT. I placed my order for the women's version yesterday. I wonder whether a fully-loaded version would make it past Canada's new draconian restrictions? I sincerely hope that they will be rescinded before I have to find out.
MsTravelBug is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 2:38 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 41,214
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
I wear the Signature system (Fleece 5.0 and the Quantum Jacket), and it is regularly in the single digits here - and it keeps me nice and warm. When it gets warmer, I can wear just the fleece, or just the jacket.

The Quantum jacket has massive pockets, and a wind/snow buffer.

Thanks. I have an LL Bean down jacket that I wear when it is down into the 20s or most of the time for traveling. I also have a Canada Goose down parka which is good down into colder whether than I plan on getting into. They make the parkas for a year round station at the South Pole and other extreme environments. I read about them in an airline magazine (where else) article about the warmest parkas you could find. But a fleece would go nice under either and double as a sweater when indoors.


Originally Posted by Dianne47 View Post
The newly re-designed ScottEVest site has a "temperature continuum chart" that shows the relative warmth of their products. This might help you make a choice.
Thanks I saw that but I wasnt completely sure of the calibration I guess.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 2:51 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
I hear Canada Goose is excellent. I wanted to get their photographers parka in red but nobody had the thing in stock. I even called them directly. No go.

Another great brand for down clothing, bedding and sleeping bags is this one:
http://www.featheredfriends.com/frontpage.html

from Seattle.
tfar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 3:32 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 41,214
Originally Posted by tfar View Post
I hear Canada Goose is excellent. I wanted to get their photographers parka in red but nobody had the thing in stock. I even called them directly. No go.

Another great brand for down clothing, bedding and sleeping bags is this one:
http://www.featheredfriends.com/frontpage.html

from Seattle.
My wife and I both bought Canada Goose parkas in the spring a couple years ago. They were each more than $200 off normal price if I recall correctly since it was the end of season. I have never had a warmer parka, I have the Ontario, which isnt even one of their models for more extreme conditions.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 09, 8:48 pm
  #12  
#10
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 924
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
On Saturday, when it looked like some airlines were banning carry-ons, I ordered a Scottevest Evolution jacket.
I expect that Scottevest had a good weekend, particularly among FT'ers for the reason stated. In another thread, a fellow FT'er posted the promotion code LEO if you are looking to buy. Think it provides 20% off.

Look forward to your Scottevest trip report, PTravel. I'd be particularly interested to learn what the pat down returning to the US is like if you have 15+ pockets working for you.
#10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 09, 12:22 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin and Buggenhagen, Germany
Posts: 3,509
Originally Posted by #10 View Post
I'd be particularly interested to learn what the pat down returning to the US is like if you have 15+ pockets working for you.
That's why you want the jacket. You throw it in the bin but it doesn't count as a carry-on. If you had one of the trousers or shirts with a thousand pockets they'd force you to empty that. So the jacket makes the most sense.

Till
tfar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 09, 1:15 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NY Metro Area
Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Posts: 41,214
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.77 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by tfar
Originally Posted by #10 View Post
I'd be particularly interested to learn what the pat down returning to the US is like if you have 15+ pockets working for you.
That's why you want the jacket. You throw it in the bin but it doesn't count as a carry-on. If you had one of the trousers or shirts with a thousand pockets they'd force you to empty that. So the jacket makes the most sense.

Till
I think they mean at secondary which is often just a pat down with no bin and no xray/metal detector.
GadgetFreak is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 09, 1:06 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 59
I picked up an Evolution & Tropical vest/jacket about a month ago from them. I know what you mean about not being able to find stuff, I think they need to come out with a Blackberry & iPhone App that maps what's in your jacket.

The Evolution is warm enough for most of the winter here in Virginia, combined with a fleece I'm plenty warm. I haven't traveled with it yet, and, only did a 'test' load when I got it - yes, I did put my Macbook Air in it, along with my Kindle, iPhone, iPod touch, GPSr, and a bunch of other stuff just to feel it out. I agree - it is remarkable how balanced it is. It has become my regular jacket now.

Note - they have been running "coupon" specials almost everyday - just click on the Sale & News tab on the top, I used that to get decent discounts on both. In fact, I bought 2 of each when I ordered it, I wasn't sure about the size, and, they actually suggest that you buy 2 different sizes & ship back the one that doesn't fit. It worked out good buying that way - I got free shipping (at least to me).

Their videos are pretty entertaining as well...
crpeck is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread