Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

So I got a Scottevest Evolution jacket . . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So I got a Scottevest Evolution jacket . . .

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:30 pm

Another possibility, quite a bit cheaper, is from a company called Dadgear (http://www.dadgear.com). Their vests and jackets are designed to carry diapers, wipes, bottles, with a rear pocket that holds a good-sized changing pad. I've never owned nor seen one, but it's been mentioned on another forum as an alternative to the Scottevest.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamsg4713
Another possibility, quite a bit cheaper, is from a company called Dadgear (http://www.dadgear.com). Their vests and jackets are designed to carry diapers, wipes, bottles, with a rear pocket that holds a good-sized changing pad. I've never owned nor seen one, but it's been mentioned on another forum as an alternative to the Scottevest.
Ugh. I wouldn't buy one just on principle.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
Originally Posted by PTravel
Ugh. I wouldn't buy one just on principle.
Ewww, me either. If I never see anything related to diapers again, it'll be too soon!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Club Carlson Concierge, Avis President's Club, SAS Silver
I have had a ScotteVest fleece for about 6 months, which I got free from FullTilt Poker for being a degenerate (marginally profitable!) poker player.

Having lots of pockets is something that you quickly become addicted to!

The build quality seems excellent to me.

I would say that the fleece is good down to about 5 degrees C, below which you would want something more substantial.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 1:15 pm

My wife and I both bought Canada Goose parkas in the spring a couple years ago. They were each more than $200 off normal price if I recall correctly since it was the end of season. I have never had a warmer parka, I have the Ontario, which isnt even one of their models for more extreme conditions.
I have one of the upper-range Canada Goose parkas, and it is totally, absolutely awesome: you do not get cold (at least in the part of your body the parka covers) even in subzero F temperatures. I read somewhere that these parkas are what National Geographic photographers wear in Antarctica, and I believe it. The only problem with mine is that if I wear it in temperatures of above 20 degrees F, I get too hot.

As for models and pricing, if you do an internet search you can often find the model you want (including recently discontinued ones) at a good price. Tip: buy one in the summer. Another tip: they often seem to be cheaper if you buy on line from a Canadian store, even if you're in the U.S.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:09 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTravel
At any rate, I strongly recommend these, particularly for international flights were carry-on number and weight is closely controlled.
I was amused when I first saw your post in UA about doing this ... a bit of history revisited for me as after 9/11 I was doing the same thing since I don't generally check. I uses my The North Face ski jacket. It has about 20 pockets, including a large mesh pocket inside that my laptop can fit in. It drove me crazy because I could never remember what was in what pocket, until I thought of this weary-on use for it. I hung it up for purposes other than skiing after the rules relaxed, but looks like it will be out again. Anyway, The North Face are pretty much the only ski jackets I buy and since they all seem to have many pockets, they're certainly well suited to these purposes.

Wall Street Journal - Feb 3, 2002
Sheri Bjornson takes a parka whenever she flies - even on a recent trip to Hawaii.

The avid leisure traveler from Alamo uses her multipocketed parka to get around new federal guidelines restricting the number of carry-on bags to one. Since a coat isn't counted as a carry-on, Bjornson packs her parka full of items and sends it through the airport-security belt.

"It's a little goofy, but it works," says Bjornson.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz0bgCyU3KJ
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Gold and lowly DL FO
Originally Posted by ScottC
I wear the Signature system (Fleece 5.0 and the Quantum Jacket), and it is regularly in the single digits here - and it keeps me nice and warm. When it gets warmer, I can wear just the fleece, or just the jacket.

The Quantum jacket has massive pockets, and a wind/snow buffer.
I also have the Signature system and wore it all last winter and this one. I love the flexibility of the fleece and the outer jacket and being able to mix and match as needed. I've worn it into the teens and single digits and am pleased with its warmth.

As far as low quality zippers, I had read that elsewhere as well, but so far have experienced no issues and am very happy with the quality. I've thrown both pieces in the washing machine and they come out perfectly.

I also love being able to stuff extra stuff in the pockets so I can pack my purse and not have it count as that extra carryon item. Makes going through airport security so much easier!

I have, on occasion, lost things in pockets (I can feel it in there, but it gets lost in the lining because the pockets are so big and the lining is open to some of the pockets for the earbud wiring system), but to me this occasional inconvenience is worth the other benefits of the jacket. I highly recommend this brand!

I'm so excited because I got the Women's Essential Travel Jacket for Christmas and can't wait to try it out too.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:47 pm

Tropical Jacket came in the mail yesterday. Great fun trying out the various pockets. Really loved the hidden wiring device for earphones.

Lightweight when empty but heavy when loaded with stuff and gadgets - I think I will only use it as a 'second hand luggage' when loaded, for airtravel. Total weight of my stuff is more than 2 kg, so could increase hand carry allowance with this nifty gear. However, for regular use, will have to cut down the stuff, otherwise may be difficult to lug around.

Sizing a tad too long but I suppose any shorter it will compromise on the pocket number and size. A bit goofy, but that's part of the fun.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:48 pm

I just ordered mine and will be trying it out soon. I was disappointed in the woman's options...but hey its not for fashion! LOL
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
We've had Scottevests and jackets for several years. My sweetie (he wears them often) has several pairs of the trousers. We ordered one of the heavier weight jackets and it was way too heavy and warm for our needs.

I've gone through the problem of not being able to find things in the pockets including my passport! Did find it but learned to have a habit of what I put where.

I find it very handy to be able to hide my money, credit cards and passport when traveling.

The trick when going through the TSA is to act as if the jacket/vest is not at all heavy when you put it in the bin. In fact I put mine into a clean plastic bag when I put it into the bin so it does stay dry and tidy.

Once you make a purchase directly from them you will be put on their email 'sale and specials' list.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:04 am

Just a note - if you are interested in getting an Evolution jacket/vest - they are the Sale Item of the Day today (20% off).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Sebastian_R
Wow, am very impressed. Quick question: is that actually comfortable? I mean fully loaded? And how on eart do you put a laptop inside? (where? tried to find that on their website but didn't see it).

You can see the video here
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Scottevest products: can't leave home without one!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 5:46 am

I've had SeV jackets for a few years.

The original one (I can't remember the name) has a Parka like outer with a zip in fleece which can be worn separately; both with zip out sleeves. Very flexible and great for filling with gear for carry on only trips.

I then got an Explorer Jacket which is a suede lookalike, not as many pockets but still great for the same role. It also works well with a suit having a more formal look.

Oddly the Explorer doesn't appear on the SeV website but still appears on Amazon as supplied by them and in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Scottevest-Exp...3214058&sr=8-1

The one thing that I've tried, and given up on, is the internal wiring for ear phones; I can't get enough length of cable without it becoming uncomfortable when not being used.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Scottevest Windbreaker

I just purchased the Scottevest Windbreaker, to replace my carry-on nylon windbreaker that I take on all flights, even to tropical locations (because I am always freezing on planes). It's got 17 pockets, is light, and when not in use, folds up inside its own small pack. I figure I'll have it along even if not wearing it, so that if carry-on restrictions pop up while traveling, it will be easy to whip it out and pack it with valuables from anything I am forced to check.

http://www.scottevest.com/v3_store/n...e-jacket.shtml

I think after a few uses, one would become accustomed to putting certain items in certain places, just like with a carry-on bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.