Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable Rimowa Prices?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If one wants the full VAT refunded, they need to do the whole export declaration paperwork and deal directly with the local customs - might be daunting, especially if you don't read/write/speak the local language. Or have the store do the same, but I think there aren't that much stores doing it.

That's why I like the Japanese system - you show your passport with the "temporary visitor" stamp in it, and you'll get your stuff text free right at the cashier. They staple the receipt to your passport, that you're supposed to hand over to the customs point at the airport, but I never had anything checked aside from a thank you. Also there seems to be no consequences if one forgets to hand over the receipt.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If one wants the full VAT refunded, they need to do the whole export declaration paperwork and deal directly with the local customs - might be daunting, especially if you don't read/write/speak the local language. Or have the store do the same, but I think there aren't that much stores doing it.

That's why I like the Japanese system - you show your passport with the "temporary visitor" stamp in it, and you'll get your stuff text free right at the cashier. They staple the receipt to your passport, that you're supposed to hand over to the customs point at the airport, but I never had anything checked aside from a thank you. Also there seems to be no consequences if one forgets to hand over the receipt.
Headed to Japan this weekend, and am itching for a an original cabin. Knowing that I don't have to pay tax with my US passport, are there deals to be had? Or is the new Rimowa distribution structure going to prevent me from getting a discounted rate?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
When I was in Tokyo last September, I asked the folks at the Rimowa flagship store in Omotesando Hills if there was any ‘specials’ on the old models and they politely informed me that Rimowa does not offer any discount, period!

Inquiries at the Rimowa section at the Isetan store in Shinjuku-Ku yielded the same reply.

if anyone can score a discount on Rimowa in Japan, then I would like to know the details.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:49 am

Thats what I feared... A colleague of mine used to work for a LVMH brand, and would tell stories of that brand burning/destroying product before they would sell it at a discount.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Remember guys, that the VAT rate in Japan is just 8%, so even if you get it tax-free, you'll save 8% only (vs the 20+% in EU)

The "deals" would depend on the exchange rate, really. If/when the Ą is weak, everything is cheap. If/when it's strong, everything's expensive. (At the beginning of the financial crisis, the €/Ą rate moved from 160 to under 110 or so within 6 months, making Tokyo from "good deal" to "no deal")
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:34 pm

I just ordered a rimowa original cabin s from Kofferworld a few days ago, got it at 20% off
And i just read in kofferworld;s website that they only shipped to EU member states only, not sure if they will ship on the countries where EU has this EEA Agreement about free movement of goods..

I'll know soon if they will ship the case or not.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Originally Posted by cheesecakeee
I just ordered a rimowa original cabin s from Kofferworld a few days ago, got it at 20% off
And i just read in kofferworld;s website that they only shipped to EU member states only, not sure if they will ship on the countries where EU has this EEA Agreement about free movement of goods..

I'll know soon if they will ship the case or not.
i am about to buy one as well. How did you get this 20% off?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by thatflyer

i am about to buy one as well. How did you get this 20% off?
They had a 15% coupon code last weekend plus 5% for bank transfer as payment. :-:

Finally the suitcase is shipped

Last edited by cheesecakeee; Apr 3, 2019 at 11:30 am Reason: quoting
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA - Gold, EK - Gold
Ok. So no more 15% discount code? Was it only valid last weekend?

i only have a 10% & 5% payment discount.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:25 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by thatflyer
Ok. So no more 15% discount code? Was it only valid last weekend?

i only have a 10% & 5% payment discount.
yeah, no more 15% discount code, and it was only valid last weekend.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:13 pm

Looks like kofferworld does not ship to Canada either. How can I get a deal on a Made in Germany Original Cabin? Thanks!

I can only buy Made in Canada cases in Canada.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by simby
Looks like kofferworld does not ship to Canada either. How can I get a deal on a Made in Germany Original Cabin? Thanks!

I can only buy Made in Canada cases in Canada.
Check markenkoffer(dot).de.. they do deliveries to Canada
They have a 10% discount code - NEU18, plus the additional 5%

Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by cheesecakeee
Check markenkoffer(dot).de.. they do deliveries to Canada
They have a 10% discount code - NEU18, plus the additional 5%

Just tried to order but got the message "Unfortunately, we are products of the brand (s) "Rimowa" does not deliver the selected your delivery Country "Canada"!" =(
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Silver; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum
Purchasing Rimowa in Germany

Deleted

Last edited by Fly4SCUBA; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:29 pm Reason: Delete
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:33 pm

Retailer name please? How do you know it is not a fake!

Originally Posted by spizzy
Just wanted to say it arrived today. It took 5 days to arrive in Australia from Europe. It came double boxed, with the suitcase in its own Rimowa Box and the Rimowa box within a large white box with Fragile stickers on it.

Excellent communication, packaging from the company and excellent price with VAT removed (VAT was removed from the case and polish only and not from the shipping cost). Shipping was only 25 Euro and to use a Credit Card was only a 1.50 Euro fee.

They said they would charge my credit card the full price first and then after it had shipped would refund the VAT, however they just charged the 1 price with the VAT removed. The order was posted the day after it was received.

I purchased the Rimowa 98l or 30" Salsa Deluxe and also bought the Rimowa 75ml Polish And Repair (9 Euro) to keep the Case in excellent condition down the track.

Total inc. shipping was 436.53 Euro or $465 USD for a Case that retails for $725USD. Pretty happy with that.

As I want to keep this retailer private please contact me via PM if you are interested and I please request others to keep this store to PM as well so all FT members can enjoy this without the store being forced to stop shipping outside Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.