Wiki Posts
Search

Reasonable Rimowa Prices?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by anandrag
Then don't buy e tag. No one making you. Some of us like tech
So just don't buy a Rimowa at all? ALL new models will have the E-TAG. By the time my bags break and need to be replaced, there will be no option........

Yes I'm a tech guy but this is a very pointless tech if it cannot give you the GPS location of your bag.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: Marriott LTT; UA 1k
I'm still looking for the dealer that can ship to the US. Can someone please help?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by m0mo
I'm still looking for the dealer that can ship to the US. Can someone please help?
I bought mine here: http://www.edisac.com

Shipping to California was quite expensive, but I saved so much on the case itself that I'm still $3-400 ahead of what it would have cost locally.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
So just don't buy a Rimowa at all? ALL new models will have the E-TAG. By the time my bags break and need to be replaced, there will be no option........

Yes I'm a tech guy but this is a very pointless tech if it cannot give you the GPS location of your bag.
If you're a "tech guy" think through what's involved in functioning GPS tags.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
If I were to be figuring that out, I would be working for Rimowa right now. @:-)

The point you know everyone is trying to make is that there should be an option (w/ or w/o e-tag).
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
You didn't mention what size you are looking for. But I saw plenty on Koffer24.de. Koffer-direkt.com has a limited selection. Maybe check the other German shops as well, you might find that everyone still has some non E-tags available. Good luck.
much appreciated.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
If I were to be figuring that out, I would be working for Rimowa right now. @:-)

The point you know everyone is trying to make is that there should be an option (w/ or w/o e-tag).
Maybe. I'd still pick it. The vast majority may think it's stupid but I like it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Maybe. I'd still pick it. The vast majority may think it's stupid but I like it.
I don't think the concept is stupid. I just don't like being "pushed" into adopting a technology / feature that is of uncertain value.

That said, if I found a good deal on a salsa sport trunk (especially if shipping to Asia was possible) I would jump, e-tag or not.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Rimowa's E-Tag isn't a GPS device of any sorts, it merely shows the airline bag tag (if compatible with it, and a handful of airlines support it) or a text address that you can input manually. It does nothing that a pen and paper can't do, so yea, there's your tech.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Does the etag system on the suitcase itself retain/hold any data about where and when the suitcase has been loaded with an e-tag or the routing instructions/history? Even if the data weren't retained on the suitcase itself, if the suitcase has a "permanent" electronic identifier and such has been associated with prior travel in airline/airport systems, then that could result in some privacy-compromising situations.

I'm no proverbial Luddite, but I do think that it's good to know about the possible privacy implications of some sorts of technology use. Also, with some governmental moves to ban electronics in the passenger cabin, it can't be fun to have your cabin bag with an etag flagged down as "restricted" electric item due to size and e-tag combination.

If people can easily game the electronic tags on the bag, it could be rather interesting for dealing with/avoiding customs control. This stuff probably deserves its own thread.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 9, 2017 at 5:52 am
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
No, there is no electronic data, it's not transmitting anything. It simply displays the same barcode that is available in the paper tags. But some people here think that's high tech lol, go figure...
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:18 am

E-tag seems like something that sounds cool but not sure how useful or practical it is to actually use. Like pretty much everything that Sharper Image used to sell. My concern would be how strong the screen is and could it be damaged by a careless baggage handler.

The current luggage tags are basically waterproof and untearable, though completely different story if you go at it with scissors.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by TPACjv
I don't think the concept is stupid. I just don't like being "pushed" into adopting a technology / feature that is of uncertain value.

That said, if I found a good deal on a salsa sport trunk (especially if shipping to Asia was possible) I would jump, e-tag or not.
Exactly! I don't mind paying more w/ or w/o the E-tag if it's of no use to me. But unfortunately that option is not there.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: FT
OT but my two cents. I don't want it since it interferes with the design with marginal benefit. I'm also a person that thinks apps have taken simple things and made them more complex than they should.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by mevr
Rimowa's E-Tag isn't a GPS device of any sorts, it merely shows the airline bag tag (if compatible with it, and a handful of airlines support it) or a text address that you can input manually. It does nothing that a pen and paper can't do, so yea, there's your tech.
Guess you haven't lost a bag due to a missing tag yet. Also you haven't missed a flight due to waiting in line to check in your bag.

Originally Posted by mevr
It simply displays the same barcode that is available in the paper tags. But some people here think that's high tech lol, go figure...
You know what? If you don't like it why not shop elsewhere?

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Does the etag system on the suitcase itself retain/hold any data about where and when the suitcase has been loaded with an e-tag or the routing instructions/history?
Nope. You just wipe it when done. It's basically an E-ink screen on the bag, just like on your Kindle.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Also, with some governmental moves to ban electronics in the passenger cabin, it can't be fun to have your cabin bag with an etag flagged down as "restricted" electric item due to size and e-tag combination.
It doesn't have LiIon batteries, and nothing that would be a carry on has it. The smallest Topas with it is the 67L. The smallest Limbo is the 60L.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.