FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Products (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/)
-   -   Rolling Laptop Case - Personal Item? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products/1008122-rolling-laptop-case-personal-item.html)

Cloudship Oct 20, 2009 8:24 pm

Rolling Laptop Case - Personal Item?

I've got an upcoming trip that is going to involve a number of flights and connections. Since it will be a weeks trip, I need a little more than my normal wheeled carry on. I have a Targus laptop case that i normally bring, but also have access to a wheeled laptop case that would be perfect. My question is - will this count as a personal item or a carry on? I am flying Delta btw. I believe it will fit under the seat, but I am concerned that because it has wheels and a handle it would get counted as a carry-on instead.

For that matter, what are the maximum dimensions of a person item?

tfar Oct 20, 2009 8:36 pm

Maximum dimensions for personal items are FORTUNATELY not spelled out. They work by common sense; a normal briefcase or photo bag are allowed, or a big woman's tote. These things usually top out at around 38 linear inches. So that's what they will usually let pass as personal items.

Bringing two rolling bags is not very weight efficient. If you can do with the ordinary laptop bag and the carry-on size roller you will be better off in that regards.

Psychologically, if they see you with two bulky rolling items, they may ask you to gate check the bigger one first.

Keep in mind that the personal item should only be stowed in the overhead after all big items have found a spot there. Then fill up with personal items and top of with coats. It's the most efficient, fair and sensible method.

Till

oldpenny16 Oct 21, 2009 6:21 am

Two wheeled bags is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I would avoid doing so.

I've been on many crowded flights where the announcement was made that each passenger could only have 1 item to carry on. I had to put my purse into my carry on bag (which has no wheels).

It isn't a sin to check a bag. Might be a reasonable option for a longer trip such as yours.

Tutu Oct 21, 2009 11:56 am

I travel with a travelpro 22 inch wheeled carry on and a travelpro wheeled laptop "personal" bag. I have never had a problem. I need my laptop to be wheeled when I arrive at my destination and have to take it to work. I can't carry a laptop too far as I have had a shoulder injury.

CarolDisney1 Oct 21, 2009 4:16 pm

I saw Delta deny one of these things as the "personal" item just a few weeks ago. (The flyer then proceeded to act out and show that he could imitate a two year old, very entertaining)

Digits Oct 27, 2009 7:22 pm

Some of the rolling bags that I've seen people carry on are quite wide. This might be an issue on some of the smaller regional jets, where overhead bin space is much smaller than on a regular jet, and where sometimes the space under the seat is more limited as well.

BarbiJKM Oct 29, 2009 6:51 pm

If it needs to go in the overhead, it ain't a "personal item," IMHO. I agree that trying to get 2 wheelies through as carry-on is a risky business! I've seen people do it without problem, and I've seen people get called on it and have to check one of them.

starlanet Nov 1, 2009 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 12680748)
I've got an upcoming trip that is going to involve a number of flights and connections. Since it will be a weeks trip, I need a little more than my normal wheeled carry on. I have a Targus laptop case that i normally bring, but also have access to a wheeled laptop case that would be perfect. My question is - will this count as a personal item or a carry on? I am flying Delta btw. I believe it will fit under the seat, but I am concerned that because it has wheels and a handle it would get counted as a carry-on instead.

For that matter, what are the maximum dimensions of a person item?

According to American Airlines (www.aa.com)

Carry-on baggage allowance:

Carry-on: 45 inches/114 cm
Personal item: 36 inches/96 cm

"They weigh no more than 40 lbs/18 kgs

The bag is no more than 45 inches and the personal item is no more than 36 inches when you add the length + width + height so that it fits in an overhead bin or under the seat"

They also say:

"Keep in mind

At some airports, carry-on baggage may be more restricted.

Additional limits may be placed on carry-on bags because of aircraft stowage capacity.

Limits may be imposed after the boarding process has begun.

Carry-on roller board bags, duffle bags, large backpacks, or other personal items that don't fit in the overhead bins or under the seat must be checked at the gate and placed in the cargo compartment on American Eagle planes.

Horizontal rolling garment bags must not exceed a total of 45 inches. A bag that is 22" long by 24" high by 10.5" wide for a total of 56.5 inches would be too big therefore would not be allowed."

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...horEvent=false

I love the wheeled laptop backpack I bought yesterday but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it for my trips (involving airplane travel), because now I have 1 wheeled carry-on + 1 wheeled backpack. Some wheeled backpacks you can hide the wheels, they look more like a regular backpack this way. I still love my new wheeled backpack, I carry laptop and other electronics that cause shoulder pain.

katieq1 Nov 1, 2009 9:38 am

As long as it fits under the seat, I think you're ok.

GadgetFreak Nov 1, 2009 10:06 am

Originally Posted by katieq1 (Post 12747281)
As long as it fits under the seat, I think you're ok.

I agree. It is the size and weight that should matter, not the presence or absence of wheels.