Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Feedback from Tom Bihn Aeronaut carry-on bag owners

Feedback from Tom Bihn Aeronaut carry-on bag owners

Old Oct 12, 2009, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by tcook052
Very interesting. While checking out the Tristar I phoned Tom Bihn and found out the shoulder straps are not detachable, meaning if I never ever use them they'll still stay folded up in their pocket. Oh I know they don't weigh a lot or take up much space but if I'm never likely to use them I can't remove them short of going radical and cutting them off which I'm not wanting to even consider on a brand new bag I just bought.
They lay pretty flat in the pocket (at least mine do). I've yet to use either my Aeronaut or my TriStar in backpack mode. Still, it's nice to know the option is there. I use shoulder carry almost exclusively. I might slip a newspaper or magazines in the backpack strap pocket... otherwise, they straps stay stored and I don't even notice them being in there. They're just along for the ride.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: JAL Family Club
I could check a bag in but then it could be lost. Then we would have to wait for it somehow. We can check 2 bags in as long as they are more than 50 lbs each.

Originally Posted by tfar
She lives in Japan with her husband being in IT and they don't have wifi at home? Sounds strange. Anyways, computer access shouldn't be a problem. I'd really look into possibilities of leaving the laptop at home. Maybe her husband can get you one from work for the time you are there?

Bring the Iphone. It's not heavy. But think again about playstation and DVD player.
Well, I'll have to verify if they have wifi. The husband is in IT and I would think he uses a computer at home. His wife doesn't use e-mail anymore so I have to have my wife e-mail my brother in law to send information to my sister in law. lol

One at work would be nice. Then I don't have to bring it to Japan and have TSA scan my laptop. I just need to check once in a while and do my electronic time sheet.

Gosh look at the time! I stayed 30 minutes Overtime at work (doesn't count on the clock though!)

Thanks for the replies.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 6:34 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Just wanted to tag along a quick question to this thread about the Aeronaut:

The product description says that the 2 sides of the main compartment can be expanded into the side pockets. How much do they expand each? I was just wondering as I have absolutely no idea what to do in terms of my usual packing with the current size and shape of the side compartments. This is actually one of the main reasons the Aeronaut did not make it into my final list.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I dont have the Aeronaut but a few comments about some of the bags, or related ones here. I have the BR235x and the Red Oxx Skytrain. The Skytrain is similar to the Air Boss except that it has 2 main sections, rather than three, and it has hide away backpack straps. The BR235x is a very well made bag but in my opinion, after carrying it a number of times, it is just too heavy. Im trying to get my carry-on weight down to about 20 pounds, although it is typically between 20 and 30. And that is including a briefcase with computer and various work items. The BR235x is nearly 6 pounds empty. That just isnt going to cut it for me. It is great on top of a rolling bag, say on top of a rolling briefcase, but it just doesnt carry well in my experience. I love the Skytrain, although the extra section in the Tristar and the Airboss look interesting to me. The Skytrain is light and incredibly well built. Im considering a Tristar because of the three sections and the backpack straps. I dont like the looks of the organizational layout on the Aeronaut.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by AoiGSR
I could check a bag in but then it could be lost. Then we would have to wait for it somehow. We can check 2 bags in as long as they are more than 50 lbs each.

One at work would be nice. Then I don't have to bring it to Japan and have TSA scan my laptop. I just need to check once in a while and do my electronic time sheet.

Thanks for the replies.
Well, yes. The bag could be lost. And there are thousands of bags that are irrevocably lost but I think the number is like 1 in 500 that really don't turn up anymore. The wait in a modern airport is usually not longer than maximum 20 minutes once you get to the baggage claim. The bags will also be checked through usually so you will have no bother if you have a stop-over. You could put the gifts in the checked bag.
I think the rule is that as long as they are NOT more than 50 lbs each. 50 pounds is still quite heavy and you rather want to have that in a checked bag than hanging from your shoulders. Basically, you could probably use a suitcase you have anyway (e.g. a 26 incher or even a bigger one) put the heavy and bulky things in there. Check it. Then buy a single Aeronaut plus some cubes. Instead of a second Aeronaut use a normal little backpack for in-flight provisions. Something that is easy to stow in your foot space while the Aeronaut goes in the bin. Saves money and hassle. On the way back, you might even be able to load some of the Aeronaut contents into the checked bag and lighten your load even more.

tcl, yes the layout of the Aeronaut is weird. As I said, the side compartments do have a strange shape and the main compartment doesn't fare much better. One could use a side compartment to roll up two pairs of khakis and top it off with a 311 bag. The other side compartment might take a pair of size 9 shoes (if they are not too bulky) plus a number of tech gadgets like power supply and so on, or a baggie with grooming supplies.

The main compartment gets shirts and pullovers, books and anything bulky.

On the way back, I often put the dirty laundry with the shoes and tech stuff in the side pockets. Sometimes the shoes won't fit in the side anymore because of the dirty laundry. I then put the shoes in grocery bags (I do that anyway) in the main compartment. It clearly is spacious but it takes some serious thinking into how to pack it efficiently.

Till
Old Oct 12, 2009, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I dont have the Aeronaut but a few comments about some of the bags, or related ones here. I have the BR235x and the Red Oxx Skytrain. The Skytrain is similar to the Air Boss except that it has 2 main sections, rather than three, and it has hide away backpack straps. The BR235x is a very well made bag but in my opinion, after carrying it a number of times, it is just too heavy. Im trying to get my carry-on weight down to about 20 pounds, although it is typically between 20 and 30. And that is including a briefcase with computer and various work items. The BR235x is nearly 6 pounds empty. That just isnt going to cut it for me. It is great on top of a rolling bag, say on top of a rolling briefcase, but it just doesnt carry well in my experience. I love the Skytrain, although the extra section in the Tristar and the Airboss look interesting to me. The Skytrain is light and incredibly well built. Im considering a Tristar because of the three sections and the backpack straps. I dont like the looks of the organizational layout on the Aeronaut.
Correct on the 235x. It's a very sexy bag but a bit on the heavy side. It is also simply too big for the OP's packing list. On the other hand, since his list is so restraint it won't weigh more than 14lb. This means he will still come in at around 20lb even if he chooses the 235x. This would allow him to travel in ultimate style and comfort and have more than enough room to bring back some purchases from his trips since the 235x even expands. It will then be sturdy enough to check it, if he doesn't want to carry a 25lb bag. I wouldn't really want to check an A. Saks but that might be overly cautious. So, in that sense maybe he shouldn't rule it out completely, even if I think he'll be better off with the smaller 231x.

As you said, for an office toting road warrior the 235x plus a rolling briefcase might be a wonderful and possibly the smartest solution.

Airboss and Aeronaut as well as Skytrain are definitely too big. Tristar would work, as I have said. But backpack straps aren't really necessary for his rather light load. That's why I recommended slightly smaller totes.

Till

Last edited by tfar; Oct 12, 2009 at 9:14 pm
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat
Originally Posted by tcl
Just wanted to tag along a quick question to this thread about the Aeronaut:

The product description says that the 2 sides of the main compartment can be expanded into the side pockets. How much do they expand each?
I just looked in mine... it's about three inches on each side.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: Velocity Rewards
The Tri-Star might be OK for the job when it's efficiently-packed - but the point is, it must always be efficiently-packed to work. It's a fine way to operate when travelling for business, especially if the number of unpack/repacks are minimal. I think it's a big ask to expect the bag to get repacked perfectly every time, every day, when travelling with kids!

I've done a few tours in Europe - hand luggage only - with a bag that was only the exact size I needed when I left home (High Sierra Passport). We were changing cities every 1-2 nights, and to be honest I found it stressful knowing I had to do a neat bundle every morning to get the zips closed. Sometimes I wished for a slightly more forgiving - ie bigger - bag, especially once I'd purchased a few items. And I wasn't travelling with children!

So yes, the Aeronaut might be too big at the start of the journey, but I think the flexibility of it would be welcome along the way.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: JAL Family Club
Well, yes. The bag could be lost. And there are thousands of bags that are irrevocably lost but I think the number is like 1 in 500 that really don't turn up anymore. The wait in a modern airport is usually not longer than maximum 20 minutes once you get to the baggage claim. You could put the gifts in the checked bag.
Yeah I could do that. I just don't want to have to wait for the baggage claim to get our check in baggage, just bypass that and head for the line to process our visa (unless that's done first I forget...), go to get our prepaid phones, then get to the trains. Not sure how our strollers will fair yet but that's my next research topic I think.

I think the rule is that as long as they are NOT more than 50 lbs each. 50 pounds is still quite heavy
Yes you are correct. I meant to say not MORE than 50 lbs lol. that's what I get for hastily posting before I left work.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 2:47 am

Not sure how Japan works but your family and the forum should be able to tell you. In the US, you do immigration, i.e. visa processing, first. Then you pick up the bags which are usually already there by the time you get through with immigration. Often they are actually already lined up next to the belt. No wait whatsoever. (This is not because the baggage handlers are so fast but because the immigration takes so long.) Then you go through customs. If you choose the green line there should be no wait.
I suppose the phone pick-up would be in the general area, so long after you got your luggage. This all means that the wait factor is a non-issue if immigration is before the baggage claim which it most likely is.

This makes my check one bag and bring a smaller backpack plus an Aeronaut recommendation just stronger.

But maybe we should unhook the traveling to Japan with kids strategy from the OP's question about the Aeronaut or alternatives because otherwise we seriously hi-jack his thread.

Till
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:04 pm

Now a note on the design of the Aeronaut itself. This is taken from my post in an OBOW thread where a young man ponders similar questions to the posters here.

First on packing suits:

It will be not impossible to fold a suit jacket into an Aeronaut but it will get more folds than in the Airboss. I have posted two techniques on this site. One with video, one with pictures. The "suitable" technique might work better for an Aeronaut.

Now the EC shirt folders are not great for suits in general. Only the biggest one would give decent results but it will never fit in the Aeronaut unless you open both side pockets. This comes to what I said before, being that at that point he might as well get a good tri-fold garment bag or a 235x, because by the time he added all the cubes and folders to the Aeronaut it will weigh as much as the 235x but cost 30-40% more and still be not as nice. If you don't want to open any pockets for a folder, only the smallest folder will fit in in the roughly 14x14 main compartment of the Aeronaut. The EC 15 is their smallest folder and is already 15x10. Even for shirts it is a bit small but forget about a suit jacket. It is handy however, because it will fit in a normal briefcase.

Second on the crazy main compartment lid/zip design:

I also looked at the Aeronaut again on their website and read some user comments. What strikes me is that no one picks up on the crazy idea of how the main compartment opening is done. Not to bash this product but to put the opening of the main compartment on the BOTTOM of the bag is surrealist at best.

I mean why would one do that? It is counterproductive and counterintuitive on so may levels.

1. It opens in the other direction of the two side bags. So loading the bag requires turning it around 180 degrees.

2. You cannot open the main compartment when the bag is vertical, i.e. when you are carrying it, or stuff will simply fall out. This is aggravated by the lack of straps or panels to secure the contents. And it is particularly inconvenient when one carries a laptop in that compartment (the only one where it may fit) that needs to be taken out for our TSA friends.

3. Having the bottom of the bag which is the highest stress point with a zip is against any durability concern.

4. When you lay down the bag, it is normal to lay it down with the handle closer to you. It is also much easier to pick it up that way. Well, you can still do that but you can't access the main compartment because the lid will open towards you instead of away from you. So you need to turn it around again.

These are four good reasons against that design. To make up for them one would need at least four equally good reasons for it. I cannot find any.

I am starting to like my MD bag more now. At least the main compartment is designed correctly, the side pockets open wider (but are narrower), it has a real magazine pocket (but no backpack straps) and it has feet to protect them bottom and a hard bottom insert.

Till
Old Oct 14, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Correct on the 235x. It's a very sexy bag but a bit on the heavy side.
Till
I totally respect Till's opinions on any product he reviews. But sexy is relative....and important. I looked at his excellent review on OBOW, and in my humble opinion the 235 is the least sexy of the 3 bags. Clean and professional, yes; sexy, no. Now I'm the type who will look twice at a guy in Wranglers and boots who might not even catch my eye in a suit. I'm just sayin'........

But maybe we should unhook the traveling to Japan with kids strategy from the OP's question about the Aeronaut or alternatives because otherwise we seriously hi-jack his thread.

Till
Totally agree. I doubt I'm the only one a little confused re the two travelers (had to re-read the thread to sort out). The family going to Japan with kids will need all the volume they can get if going carry-on only, and I agree should check a bag, maybe including the items least important to them immediately upon arrival. Or better yet, two bags that can serve as trollies for the carry-ons and be cross-packed in the unlikely event one is lost. They will need so much stuff on-board for the kiddo that will make the trip much more pleasant for her, and her neighbors, that they'll be seriously compromised on what they can bring for the stay in Japan.
The OP, on the other hand, seems the perfect Tri-Star candidate to me. I'm sure happy with mine, although I revert to my High Sierra wheeled 22" if airport to car only, such as visiting parents, and I know it will fit the overhead of the plane I'll be on. But for getting on trains, handling hotel stairs, getting to your hotel on foot from the station, etc, the TriStar is excellent (and, frankly, can hold more than I'd want to carry, so why have anything bigger). Mine is a gorgeous indigo with solar yellow lining--IMHO really sexy

Last edited by skipaway; Oct 14, 2009 at 12:38 pm
Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:38 pm

Skip, I meant sexy not as "men sexy" but as "bag sexy" but perhaps the two are comparable. I guess you might have liked the TX2 Pathfinder best then, right?

I also love that bag for its rugged look and build. Real macho. To be used when I wear my 23oz jeans and the heavy horsehide Longshoreman jacket.

I also think the OP is a very good candidate for a Tristar. It seems to me that was one of his two choices to which he narrowed it down.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 7:57 pm

Here's a link to a video done by someone who owns an Aeronaut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nXibDqW-Gc
Old Oct 14, 2009, 9:44 pm

Yes. Good video. I've seen that before. Certainly helpful. Thanks for posting the link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.