New Canon 5D teaser?

New Canon 5D teaser?

Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New Canon 5D teaser?

So says engadget.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 4:11 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
What will be will be......

I might be on the lookout for a cheap (or second hand) 5D and a couple of lenses if it happens. I don't really like the Canon equipment but I'm not about to argue with the 5D's output (and I wonder if it's replacement with lots of extra pixels will really give an improvement in image quality 8-).
Old Sep 6, 2008, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
It's probably 18 months away for me, unless I suddenly come into money.
Old Sep 8, 2008, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Internaut
I might be on the lookout for a cheap (or second hand) 5D and a couple of lenses if it happens. I don't really like the Canon equipment but I'm not about to argue with the 5D's output (and I wonder if it's replacement with lots of extra pixels will really give an improvement in image quality 8-).
I think the processor upgrade (probably to DIGIC IV) from DIGIC II is probably going to be more significant than the resolution upgrade. Probably also going to get sRAW and 14-bit rather than 12 for the current 5D.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Lifetime Platinum
I've heard too many teases about a 5D upgrade that I won't get excited yet. But, I do know that Photokina is coming up soon, and camera makers will have big news there. I also know that the 5D upgrade is waaay overdue, and the competition (Nikon D700, Sony A900) is heating up in the full-frame universe...
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We're getting tidbits on a daily basis now.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...5d2_3d_7d.html

In an update to the Swedish comment below, there is now a confirmation of a press conference at 9am on the 17th, with the camera being officially announced on 6am that day (Swedish time)

At a French site [EN] we get the following specs

* Canon EOS 5D-MARKII
* 24 million pixels
* New battery, new grip
* DIGIC IV
* Video
* 2600 Euros

Don't forget that a 10MP x1.6 sensor scales to 25.6MP at FF

There is a slight problem for Canon in that some original NDAs expired on the 12th Sept (original release date) so Canon is furiously trying to impose new ones for next week ;-)

Meanwhile in a DPR thread we get:

* New AF design: improved version will be used in next 1D series.
* 100% viewfinder coverage
* 2 (or more) speeds (fps) with different size handling.
* Body: a sexy one

We are led to believe that whilst the AF is improved, it is not what will appear in the 1D series next year.

The Slogan on the Japanese Canon site has changed. It roughly translates as "The thing being hidden deeply" while the original is "the upcoming evolution"

It's been suggested that the low light performance of the camera will be a key part of the advertising campaign "Photography by candlelight"
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
We're getting tidbits on a daily basis now.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...5d2_3d_7d.html
2600 Euros = $3635 at today's rates on XE. Ugh. Well, it'll come down sooner or later.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I was noodling through this in my head last night, for some odd reason, wondering what would really be a breakthrough. I figured about 20-22MP, ISO6400 native, extendable to 25600 (given the 50D's 15MP pixel density extends to 38MP FF - 20MP should give them twice the pixel/microlens coverage and twice the ISO capability).

Twin DIGIC IV chips, 5fps, perhaps a revolutionary AE/AF system, given the hype.

Video would surprise me. If it's not in the prosumer 50D, why the professional 5D MkII?

If they can keep it under $2000, I'm there....

UK/Euro prices are always much higher then they would be given a direct exchange rate comparison. 2600 euros? I'd guess $2999-$3299 US. The D700 is $2999.95 at B&H - that's a nice target.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I was noodling through this in my head last night, for some odd reason, wondering what would really be a breakthrough. I figured about 20-22MP, ISO6400 native, extendable to 25600 (given the 50D's 15MP pixel density extends to 38MP FF - 20MP should give them twice the pixel/microlens coverage and twice the ISO capability).
38MP FF sounds more like the 1Ds Mk IV

ISO6400 native would make me very, very happy, even if it was only at a 6MP sRaw

If they can keep it under $2000, I'm there....
If they got it in under or right at $2000, I'll have it pre-ordered at B&H as soon as it shows up $3000 or 3600 will take some further saving.

UK/Euro prices are always much higher then they would be given a direct exchange rate comparison. 2600 euros? I'd guess $2999-$3299 US. The D700 is $2999.95 at B&H - that's a nice target.
That's a very nice target, although it seems more realistic for a 12MP "5D w/ DIGIC 4" than for that plus a new 25MP sensor. Even $3600 sounds downright cheap, thinking about the latter.

Edited to add: hadn't realized that the new Sony A900 was 25mp and $2999, not ~12 like the D700 and 5D. Wow.

Last edited by nkedel; Sep 10, 2008 at 5:17 pm
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The 50D puts 95MP/sec through the Digic IV chip, so 22MP at 4-5fps is achievable. This isn't targeted at sports shooters, so I'm guessing they'll stay at 5fps or lower and only a single Digic chip.

I saw a Canon R&D presentation a while ago claiming their technology roadmap gets them to 55-60 MP in a couple of years - I think its a matter of both trading off noise for MP and the marketing needs. With the Sony at 24, and a rumored D3x in the same ballpark, and the 1Ds already at 21, I'd guess the next 1Ds will be 28'ish and the 5D in the low 20's. I don't think they'll go to 24+ just for marketing - they've always been the low noise winner (and the Sony at 12800 looks like my G2 at 400 from 5 years ago), and won't make that tradeoff, but I think the first digit will be a 2.

With the 50D native at 3200, I can't imagine not getting to 6400 native with 1/2 the pixel density.

$2000 was a dream. $3000 would be very competitive, but I suspect it will be more like $3300. Isn't that where the 5D was originally?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Indian Railways Wallah Program
Originally Posted by CPRich
I saw a Canon R&D presentation a while ago claiming their technology roadmap gets them to 55-60 MP in a couple of years
That's great and all but it will be a much longer time before the lenses catch up. The 1Ds requires the best L lenses and even with some of those resolution is limited by the lens not the sensor.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by cj001f
That's great and all but it will be a much longer time before the lenses catch up. The 1Ds requires the best L lenses and even with some of those resolution is limited by the lens not the sensor.
So why the heck am I stockpiling prosumer lenses?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talked to my local pro photo shop, he said that 5Ds are no longer available in the distribution chain. @:-)

Put myself on the waiting list for the mystery machine.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cj001f
I'm not sure I buy that; back in the film days I got results on film with merely consumer-grade lenses combined with stopping down fairly far and reasonably slow film which looked quite sharp at 16x20 to be reasonably comparable to somewhere in the 20-28MP range (ie 16x20 @ 250-300dpi).

L lenses should be better even stopped down, but the biggest difference is going to be at the edges of the image and when shot relatively open.

If conventional 35mm lenses were truly the limiting factor, why did Kodak even bother to sell Ektar 25 and Tech Pan, both of which were extremely high resolution films?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The moon becomes clearer.

The right lower quadrant appears to have special screening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.