The Planespotter's PHOTO Thread...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Planespotter's PHOTO Thread...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by makeUturn
How about a couple of oldies? These are slide scans of a Delta DC-9 and a United DC-8 landing at MEM in 1977.

...lovely. Really takes me back to the really fun days of plane spotting.

Sadly you have to live by in one of the major gateway cities to experience any quality plane spotting these days. Living in a mid sized city like Portland OR or Milwaukee WI is rather disappointing when pretty much all you see are B-737s and a bunch of regional jets.

I remember growing up in Mlwaukee and heading down to the airport to see just about everything from Caravalles and 727s to Stretch-8s and 747s (save for the Convair jetliners as we didn't have Delta or TWA at the time) on regular basis. The best viewing spot was along E. Layton Ave when planes were landing and taking off on runway one-niner right. They'd come in real low as the threshold is only about 100 meters from the barrier fence (almost like Princess Juliana Airport but without the beach). Pretty wild to have a big Stretch 8 or 747 flying so low overhead you felt you could almost reach up and touch it. On the west end there was a viewing area where you could pull up and park to watch operations when runway 07 R (which extended over S Howell Ave) was in use. The terminal also had a nice observation deck on the roof of the old "A" Concourse (re-designated the "Concourse D" years later).

Heady days indeed.

Watched some recent MKE spotter videos and sadly, most of the action there today is primarily CRJs and EMB 145/175s as well as of course Southwest 737s and a few MD80/90s for Delta and American. I heard Delta may have a flight or two with a 757-200 (winglets) but that's pretty much the largest airliner to land there now on a regular basis.

The only widebodies which appear at MKE on are MD-10s and A300s for FedEx, and UPS as well as an occasional AN-124. For any of the big airliners to show up these days, it usually requires a major weather event at ORD to force flights to divert to MKE (primarily international carriers as MKE is the closest airport with customs facilities).

It's pretty much the same in Portland as well save for a couple refurbished 767-300s Delta uses on their AMS and NRT service (used to be operated with DC-10-30s, then A-330s before the takeover of Northwest) and a three times a week flight on Condor to FRA. Hawai'ian also operates and A330 from/to HNL. A few more 757s show up here (Delta) than at MKE as well as 737-800s (almost as large) on Alaska. PDX does occasionally get new 747-8s, 777s and 787s touching down here (often in the green protective coating) which are headed to the Boeing paint hangars that opened several years ago.

Consolidation has not been kind to plane spotters at medium sized airports, for example all of United's and most of American's service into MKE is on regional jets now, most of which fly the 20 min 67 mile hop to ORD On Delta a good number of flights including those to LGA, BOS, and DCA are also now served by regional jets. At PDX it's Alaska (through Skywest), Delta Connection, and United Express for the 40 min jaunt to SEA.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:41 am

the change was made to depict also pictures from the Planespotters.net data base which are not high quality (HQ). This was a great improvement! However, it seems that since two days or so this has been turned back and only pictures from the HQ data base are depicted in fr24.

Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
Originally Posted by CMK10
Always fun to catch an Antonov, this was in SEA:

I saw one (RA-82047) at IAH, but seeing it a few months later at HSV was a treat!

Volga-Dnepr RA-82047: Antonov An124-100
by formulanone, on Flickr

I'm not terribly talented at this, and I don't exactly do myself any favors by taking 95% of my aircraft shots from my window seat.

But sometimes you can get shots nobody else can get...

Delta Airlines N928DL: McDonnell-Douglas MD88

United N483UA: Airbus A320

Southwest N711HK: Boeing 737

LGA Runway 4-22

Last edited by Formulanone; Nov 4, 2015 at 7:39 pm
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Some good stuff at JFK this week:

Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:47 am

Last week at DCA.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
SEA Cargo

OZ 747F, AN 124 (), UA757 parked at SEA.

Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
OZ 747F, AN 124 (), UA757 parked at SEA.
For some reason, your picture isn't displaying. For others, here is the URL:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/708/2...f7bf19f8_b.jpg
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
FYI
I was in London this past summer. Outside the Hatton Cross tube station there is a pedestrain walkway over the street there. A couple times while I was there, there were several photographers on the overpass with telephotos and tripods. I asked what they were there and they said plane spotting.
Must be one of the hot spots around Heathrow.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mstump
FYI
I was in London this past summer. Outside the Hatton Cross tube station there is a pedestrain walkway over the street there. A couple times while I was there, there were several photographers on the overpass with telephotos and tripods. I asked what they were there and they said plane spotting.
Must be one of the hot spots around Heathrow.
Yep, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Heathrow which is 500 meters from that spot. This was the view from my room:

Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Not a fancy pic but loved this Qantas 747 at SFO
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Madone59
Great pic. What camera did you use?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 8:40 am

Oh Lord that Azerbaijan livery is UGLY.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbartp
Great pic. What camera did you use?

Thanks!
I was using my Samsung NK30. Love that camera!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:58 am

Something from the Past

Saw this at PSP the other week
Attached Images  
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:39 pm
formerly PHLGrump

Anyone in PHL have tips on where to spot, specifically for takeoff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.