The Planespotter's PHOTO Thread...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Planespotter's PHOTO Thread...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:24 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Back to work tomorrow and it means my weekly commute on one of these. Hideously uncomfortable seats and they seek out turbulence, but at least I can fly from my local airport rather than a long drive to our capital.
This is an ATR72-500 - they have all been replace by the -600.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
DFW Terminal D

strickerj and Get2DaChopper like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, QR, EY, AA, SQ, A6, MH
Spotting at Changi Beach Park, Singapore. The best time to spot is when the arrival runway is 02R. There's a restaurant in the area, the other spotters in the area are friendly to you, and I never felt unsafe using my equipment there.

The typical late morning/early afternoon cloud buildup.

You can walk along the footpath to get different angles of the arrivals.

Late afternoon golden hour as the sun sets.

onlysuites, cmn.jcs and TedToToe like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Get2DaChopper
Spotting at Changi Beach Park, Singapore. The best time to spot is when the arrival runway is 02R. There's a restaurant in the area, the other spotters in the area are friendly to you, and I never felt unsafe using my equipment there.
I stayed at the hotel just barely visible in the top left of your map picture during a vacation some years ago. I enjoyed relaxing in the pool while watching the planes come in!
Old Feb 15, 2024, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
With Russian airlines banned from Europe, it is interesting to still see them operating out of Istanbul. Here, a Pobeda 737-800 from Moscow and Azimuth Sukhoi Superjet from Sochi.

strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:44 pm

Was up in the US last month and it reminded me of my first trip to JFK. The exotic heavy metal was amazing. RK was perhaps the most striking.
RAM 742 and Viasa in the very background
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:11 pm

An Egyptair Cargo 330-200F. Taken from my room at the Hampton Inn near the new IST Airport. there are a bunch of off-airport hotels though I believe an on-airport hotel is under construction. I don't like the new airport - it's simply too big and is there to make a statement. My flight from ATH to IST took less time than did the taxi time from landing to getting to the gate.
strickerj and TedToToe like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer

An Egyptair Cargo 330-200F. Taken from my room at the Hampton Inn near the new IST Airport. there are a bunch of off-airport hotels though I believe an on-airport hotel is under construction. I don't like the new airport - it's simply too big and is there to make a statement. My flight from ATH to IST took less time than did the taxi time from landing to getting to the gate.
Regarding IST, I totally agree! The arrangement of runways and position of terminal is hugely inefficient. And why build 5 runways with two pairs when they will never be able to use them independently? Investment wise, I'm sure 4 runways could have been built and provide a greater number of hourly movements. Anyway, to keep my post on topic, below is an image from Istanbul's other airport, SAW, which I get to use every now and again when timings are favourable! By the way, did you take a taxi to and from the Hampton Inn? I have an overnight stopover connecting onto a TK domestic flight in a few weeks. The Yotel pricing is exorbitant!
CHCflyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Regarding IST, I totally agree! The arrangement of runways and position of terminal is hugely inefficient. And why build 5 runways with two pairs when they will never be able to use them independently? Investment wise, I'm sure 4 runways could have been built and provide a greater number of hourly movements. Anyway, to keep my post on topic, below is an image from Istanbul's other airport, SAW, which I get to use every now and again when timings are favourable! By the way, did you take a taxi to and from the Hampton Inn? I have an overnight stopover connecting onto a TK domestic flight in a few weeks. The Yotel pricing is exorbitant!
Yes, and they take credit card as payment. They are not thrilled and then spend the cab ride trying to convince you to pay in US$ cash. The hotel rings for a cab for rides to the airport and they are far friendlier. Forget trying to get an Uber or local equivalent as they seem to be the local cabbies and don't respond - and you are actively encouraged to offer a tip ahead of the ride to enhance your chances of getting a ride - but it never worked for me (tried about a dozen times on various trips from the airport).
Cab to the IST Hampton took no more than ten very fast minutes. On a later trip my ride to the Hilton near the old airport took almost two hours. As there seemed to be a big pit being emptied at the back of the hotel (where the view is best for landing aircraft), I sense in a year or so that view will disappear.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:24 pm

H Hotels at LAX has a nice terrace on the 9th (?) floor which permits decent pics using a tele lens of arrivals on the LAX northern runways. It is helpful in the afternoons as you catch the Euro arrivals and have the sun to your back.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 1:35 pm

At the risk of dominating this thread (I take lots of plane pics on my travels), thought you might enjoy the view from the TPE Taoyuan Novotel.
You must get an airport-facing room as the other side affords a view of the China Airlines HQ which is across the road and is no view at all. Top floor is best and you get a good view on the western runway and a peek at the eastern runway depending upon the room you get.

Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA, QR, EY, AA, SQ, A6, MH
How do post photos of that size? I haven't been able to do that, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Get2DaChopper
How do post photos of that size? I haven't been able to do that, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Not sure - I simply import them from my Pictures file. They have been taken either from my iphone or via my digital camera
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:27 pm

A BA Budgie at Southampton in the 1980's.

BA ran a milk run using the BAe748 (nee Hawker Siddley) from Southampton to the Shetland Isles. It would do SOU-MAN-EDI-ABZ-LSI. I think the southbound integrated BHX in the routing. Fares were horrendously high and the journey would take all day. I did manage to fly on the BA ATP between MAN and SOU - it was a very lucrative route for the airline
Old Feb 20, 2024, 3:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
BA ran a milk run using the BAe748 (nee Hawker Siddley) from Southampton to the Shetland Isles. It would do SOU-MAN-EDI-ABZ-LSI. I think the southbound integrated BHX in the routing.
That would have been great for the BA tier point runners!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.