Wiki Posts
Search

Has Schmap requested your flickr pics?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Question Has Schmap requested your flickr pics?

Just received this e-mail - did you? I'd probably not have set up pics on flickr except for the FT photography competition , so I figure others were also solicited.

I've not heard of Schmap until now but am curious if you may have had your flickr or other online pics requested for use.

You've been sent a Flickr Mail from Emma J. Williams:

:: Schmap: Hawaii Photo Short-list

Hi BiziBB,

I am writing to let you know that one of your photos has
been short-listed for inclusion in the fourth edition of
our Schmap Hawaii Guide, to be published late December
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
They have used 3 of our photos. It's kind of a neat guide.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
They are using two of my photos. I've played with there site before I was first contacted so I knew what they were about.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
They are using two of my photos (from Flickr), also.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Yup four or five, Paris, Rome and Brussels.

lala
Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
They used a photo I took of the Brussels airport... neat guide.
Old Dec 22, 2007, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here is the Schmap Hawaii Kohala Coast guide, with my Mauna Kea Beach Hotel picture.

I don't know how 'known' or widespread this guide is, but it's nice to know it's there.

Just wondering if it is publicised and known?
Old Dec 22, 2007, 7:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA 2P, Best Western Diamond
Just out of curiousity, what is the going rate for Schmap published photos and what use rights did you negotiate? In other words, I assume they pay those of you who've added value to their guides and they can't use your photos elsewhere without your permission and additional payment
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by mac-guy
Just out of curiousity, what is the going rate for Schmap published photos and what use rights did you negotiate? In other words, I assume they pay those of you who've added value to their guides and they can't use your photos elsewhere without your permission and additional payment
No payment. You just get to have your photos published. They do ask for permission before doing this. A couple of my Christchurch photos are on there.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mac-guy
No payment - just our way of sharing some of our photos with other travelers. There was something in the permission that related to single use as I recall.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Did you get an e-mail this week regrding the new iPhone Schmap guide? Looks good for phones and EEE PCs.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 4:25 pm

Yes - Christchurch photos

Just received a follow up email from Schmap. They used one of my Christchurch photos (Bridge of Remembrance) and sent me a link to the ad containing it. It's credited to Pentakoda (my Flickr name) Pentax + Kodak = Pentakoda.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
This picture:

got in the latest update to the Albuquerque guide. Pretty appropriate picture for Balloon Fiesta. They left the watermark in and credited me by real name.

(I zoomed in on the original source image, and I was able to count 229 balloons in the frame)
Old Aug 2, 2008, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thumbs up Welcome Freeverse; very nice pic, bdjohns!

Originally Posted by Freeverse
Just received a follow up email from Schmap. They used one of my Christchurch photos (Bridge of Remembrance) and sent me a link to the ad containing it. It's credited to Pentakoda (my Flickr name) Pentax + Kodak = Pentakoda.
Originally Posted by bdjohns1
This picture:

got in the latest update to the Albuquerque guide. Pretty appropriate picture for Balloon Fiesta. They left the watermark in and credited me by real name.

(I zoomed in on the original source image, and I was able to count 229 balloons in the frame)
It's nice to see another Aussie here, Freeverse.
Welcome to one of FlyerTalk's newest members. ^

Great picture and colours, Ben. ^
Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
The full-time professional photographer in me has to ask these questions

..........why is it OK for a guide to use your images, that they will make money from, without offering the photographers pay for the content? What are the license agreements? Aside from no-pay is it one-time or in perpetuity against all media known and not yet established?

Is the text content provided at no cost? Is the ink and paper free? Do the editors donate their time? Is the marketing staff there just for the experience?

Photographers have some of the most expensive up front costs and they tend to be the most willing to turn over their work with no compensation.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.