Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Travel and Photography DO?

Travel and Photography DO?

Old Sep 11, 07, 3:11 pm
  #1  
cpx
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Travel and Photography DO?

Even thought about a travel and photography DO?

Pick a theme and place(s) exchange some ideas, tips and tricks.

what are your thoughts?

I've heard of guided photography tours.. why not have a DO.
cpx is offline  
Old Sep 11, 07, 3:48 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newport Beach, California, USA
Posts: 36,062
Sounds like fun, though it may be hard for some of us (well . . . me) to indulge in discretionary travel at the moment.
PTravel is offline  
Old Sep 11, 07, 4:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,123
Pictures + Travel = I'm in (if I can fit it into my schedule)

Where in the world?
kuroneko is offline  
Old Sep 11, 07, 4:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A lovely little town filled with cows
Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,283
[Shameless Plug Warning... ]

How about the Desert DO 2008? A long weekend of photography in some of the most amazing landscapes in the southwest United States, with a full moon to boot.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655335
vysean is offline  
Old Sep 11, 07, 5:24 pm
  #5  
cpx
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
Sounds like fun, though it may be hard for some of us (well . . . me) to indulge in discretionary travel at the moment.
Just looking for ideas.. who knows.. the best opportunities might be in
your backyard... not literally... but you know what I mean.

Originally Posted by kuroneko View Post
Pictures + Travel = I'm in (if I can fit it into my schedule)
Where in the world?
I'd like something along a less trodden way. I also wanted to do something
in NYC: Sunrise, sunset and night shots in and around NYC.

Originally Posted by vysean View Post
[Shameless Plug Warning... ]

How about the Desert DO 2008? A long weekend of photography in some of the most amazing landscapes in the southwest United States, with a full moon to boot.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655335
I was looking for something along the same line.. I've shamelessly added myself as "interested" thanks!


Any more ideas?
cpx is offline  
Old Sep 11, 07, 11:41 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Posts: 6,776
Thanks to Jassy-50 for alerting me to this thread.

I'm interested, am pretty flexible and am on the west coast. When not traveling, I'd be able to make it to SBA/MRY/SJC/SFO/OAK/SMF.

The Desert DO would be great, but let's try to get together before then. Even micro-Dos. Here's where I'll be in 2007:

Oct 25 - 29 PBI DO
Nov 1 - 5 NYC
Nov 8 - 15 ZQN DO

cpx and I can have a micro-DO during ZQN along with anyone else interested.

Yes, I had thought of a photog DO with the flickr group but never posted my idea. I thought I'd look like a big ol' dork. Thanks, cpx!
boxo is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 5:08 am
  #7  
cpx
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Originally Posted by boxo View Post
Yes, I had thought of a photog DO with the flickr group but never posted my idea. I thought I'd look like a big ol' dork. Thanks, cpx!
are you calling me a big ol' dork?
cpx is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 6:16 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,123
Originally Posted by cpx View Post


I'd like something along a less trodden way. I also wanted to do something
in NYC: Sunrise, sunset and night shots in and around NYC.
NYC would work for me, and given that it's a major city, it's probably a good for a lot of people since it's so easy to get to.
kuroneko is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 7:52 am
  #9  
cpx
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Originally Posted by kuroneko View Post
NYC would work for me, and given that it's a major city, it's probably a good for a lot of people since it's so easy to get to.
Just to let you know.. today is a great day in NYC to take picture.
Excellent weather.. unlimited visibility and its bright and sunny.

Too bad.. I'm stuck at work.
cpx is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 10:45 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 25,894
I'm up for something like that - I did a workshop around Moab over Memorial Day and it was fun, although exhausting (sunset was around 9:00, morning meetings were 4:45).

I was thinking about a trip down to West Virginia during the fall leaf season, if anyone is in the area. It looks like a nice overnight drive from PIT. I also have these to dig through and plan at some point:

http://www.photographamerica.com/issue90.htm
http://www.photographamerica.com/issue97.htm

Actually, the issue list - http://www.photographamerica.com/backissu.htm - is a good source of ideas. I can't share the actual documents, but I can help plan a trip based on their contents.
CPRich is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 11:16 am
  #11  
cpx
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 99654
Programs: Many
Posts: 6,448
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I'm up for something like that - I did a workshop around Moab over Memorial Day and it was fun, although exhausting (sunset was around 9:00, morning meetings were 4:45).

I was thinking about a trip down to West Virginia during the fall leaf season, if anyone is in the area. It looks like a nice overnight drive from PIT. I also have these to dig through and plan at some point:

http://www.photographamerica.com/issue90.htm
http://www.photographamerica.com/issue97.htm

Actually, the issue list - http://www.photographamerica.com/backissu.htm - is a good source of ideas. I can't share the actual documents, but I can help plan a trip based on their contents.
In past, I've done that... DC/VA/WVA area during fall.. and DC during cherry blossoms... I'd be up for it again.

Also a great place for fall colors is Ithaca, NY
cpx is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 1:27 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alameda, CA, USA
Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Posts: 807
I love the idea of some FT Photo DOs!

Hmmm, NYC in early Nov. might be doable. Maybe I can come up with a business reason to be there .

I can always find a business reason to be in DC, so DC/VA in the spring (alas, I already have travel plans for Oct. so will miss the fall foliage this year) would be a great idea! While the cherry blossoms in DC are indeed awesome, the spring bloom throughout North and Central VA can be equally spectacular.

Another great locale for spring foliage (as well as great architecture) is the Charleston/Savannah area.
Jassy-50 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 1:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alameda, CA, USA
Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Posts: 807
Originally Posted by cpx View Post
Also a great place for fall colors is Ithaca, NY

You are right! Also, Saratoga Springs, Bennington VT and just about the whole Hudson Valley. Hubby and I did that one year. Wow! It was spectacular! Too bad I only had an APS camera at the time......... Well, guess that just means I'll have to go back!!
Jassy-50 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 1:37 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,123
The DC Metro area is also accessible for me, and I may be able to combine it with work as well.

Although keep in mind that NYC has the extra appeal for an opportunity to shop at B&H Photo and Adorama
kuroneko is offline  
Old Sep 12, 07, 2:43 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Programs: This game has *seriously* lost its luster.
Posts: 6,776
Originally Posted by cpx View Post
are you calling me a big ol' dork?
Well, if the shoe fits...

Originally Posted by kuroneko View Post
NYC would work for me, and given that it's a major city, it's probably a good for a lot of people since it's so easy to get to.
Convenient except hotel rates are outrageous! I'll be spending a chunk of (most of my) Hilton points for my 4nt stay in November.
boxo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: