Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Camcorder Q: 3CCD vs high-megapixel (1CCD)

Old May 28, 2007, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)

Ok, I'm looking to replace my aging mini-DV camcorder for an upcoming vacation. I'm a little confused as to which is the "better" choice.

Contender #1 - Panasonic PV-GS320 (or similar)
This is a 3CCD camcorder with 800Kx3 resolution (gross). Of course, colour reproduction is going to be superior.

Contender #2 - Sony DCR-HC96 (or similar)
This breed of camcorder is a single CCD but with 3 megapixel resolution (gross).

I do know the final picture will be downsampled to mini-DV resolution anyways. But, I'm not sure which is deemed "better" in video quality. I'm thinking the final result will be the same, but I'm not sure.

And, yes, I'm sticking with mini-DV right now since it still offers the "best" picture (lowest compression) vs DVD and HDD. And, I'm not in the market for a HD camcorder right now. (2nd) and, I don't care about the still picture capabilities.

Any clarification is welcomed.

Answer found through some great info at Camcorderinfo.com

Last edited by Braindrain; May 28, 2007 at 1:05 pm Reason: Answer found

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.