Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Venice ( August 2020)

Hi,

I was in Venice for a week ( 8-15th August) as it was my first trip since January (vienna) and it felt so good to go travelling from Scotland again ( a 2 week trip to Las Vegas in April was cancelled) . I have posted a few comments in the Italy forum but here are some taken wiith my Galaxy A10 ( I have lots more with my Nikon D7500 but find I have problems uploading them).

Evening at St Mark's square

Sunrise from my Hotel room ( Hilton Molino Stucky) in Guidecca

I want one of these boats!

Sunset at Rialto

From inside the Bridge of Sighs coming back from the prison cells to the Palace and looking towards Riva degli Schiavoni

Contarini del Bovolo staircase

View from the top of the staircase

Ponte de chiodo ( no handrails)

Just after dusk at St Marks' square with the lights just on

View taken from Traghetto from close to Harry's bar to the Dogana

Grand Canal and Rialto from the rooftop of Fondaco dei Tedeschi ( DFS) - prebook a viewing time but is free

View from San Giorgio Campanile towards St Mark's square

View from Accademia bridge towards Salute

Evening shot from Accademia Bridge

Torcello

The houses of Burano

Late afternoon view from hotel rooftop swimming pool ( hilton)

Quiet times on the Grand Canal

Bridge of sighs illuminated juat after dusk

Thunderstorm approaching the hotel ( pool being closed)

Rialto bridge taken from the No 2 Vaporetto

Evening in St Mark's square

Regards

TBS
Maglev and allset2travel like this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Aug 22, 2020 at 1:01 pm
Old Aug 28, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thanks for sharing images from one of my favorite cities.
It is refreshing to note so few tourists around.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 4:43 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you TBS. Having made 4 trips to your lovely city (EDI) since lockdown was eased (which has been totally dispiriting experience) I am looking forward to ending our Italian lakes venture in Venice. I assume the Hilton Molino Stucky is a good experience? The views look amazing.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeeler
Thank you TBS. Having made 4 trips to your lovely city (EDI) since lockdown was eased (which has been totally dispiriting experience) I am looking forward to ending our Italian lakes venture in Venice. I assume the Hilton Molino Stucky is a good experience? The views look amazing.
Hi squeeler,

Thanks.. I have posted comments ( and some photos in the Hilton Thread)

Hilton Molino Stucky Venice {ITA}

It was a very good experience ( need to book a hour time slot for the pool). The breakfast is ordered off a menu ( but is virtually a buffet) with pastries, juice , water on the table and coffee brought to your table. ( hot options included , scrambled eggs, bacon ( more american style), hash browns, baked beans , mushrooms).

The executive lounge was open (1030 to 2000) with prepackaged cakes , soft drinks and tea/coffee. In the evening they had prosecco and wine as well as packaged sandwiches ( using bread slices like you get in supermarkets - white bread only though- 2 sandwiches were filling

The canal views were excellent ( standard views will be of the courtyard)

To get to the main parts of venice you will need to use the public vaporettos or the hotel water shuttle but if you accept that limitation it is a good hotel . Compared to other hilton hotels offers , the stucky has done a very good job.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 5, 2020, 1:24 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
👍 Thank you.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Lovely photos The _Banking_Scot . Do you remember your room number? Or what room number should one request for that fabulous view? Was the hotel water shuttle €8.50 for the entire stay? Per day? Per trip? Grazie.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
Lovely photos The _Banking_Scot . Do you remember your room number? Or what room number should one request for that fabulous view? Was the hotel water shuttle €8.50 for the entire stay? Per day? Per trip? Grazie.

Hi,
I think I mentioned this on the hotel post in the hilton forum but:
It was 624 but I think most rooms with a view of venice( especially the Molino rooms) will offer something similar ( and the windows open)- the higher floor the better. The non molino rooms which directly overlook the guidecca canal may have limited visibility to the right unless you lean out ie you may not see the length of guidecca

The shuttle is €8.50 per stay regardless of no of trips ( so the more you use it the better value ie €8.50 for 1 but if you used it 4 times each trip would effectively be €2.12). The slight problem is that it ran every 30mins or so. I generally used it once in the evenings ( after relaxing for a couple of hours and having snacks in the lounge I timed my leaving to catch the shuttle boat (either to Zattere to walk and the boat stops there in the evenings before Piazza San Marco). I generally took the No 2 water bus back from San Marco ( same stop as there are multiple San marco stops ) to Zitelle on the far end of Guidecca and walked back along the canal edge ( with a gelato- very nice)

Regards

TBS
Finkface likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jul 31, 2021 at 5:28 am
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
I think I mentioned this on the hotel post in the hilton forum but:
It was 624 but I think most rooms with a view of venice( especially the Molino rooms) will offer something similar ( and the windows open)- the higher floor the better. The non molino rooms which directly overlook the guidecca canal may have limited visibility to the right unless you lean out ie you may not see the length of guidecca

The shuttle is €8.50 per stay regardless of no of trips ( so the more you use it the better value ie €8.50 for 1 but if you used it 4 times each trip would effectively be €2.12). The slight problem is that it ran every 30mins or so. I generally used it once in the evenings ( after relaxing for a couple of hours and having snacks in the lounge I timed my leaving to catch the shuttle boat (either to Zattere to walk and the boat stops there in the evenings before Piazza San Marco). I generally took the No 2 water bus back from San Marco ( same stop as there are multiple San marco stops ) to Zitelle on the far end of Guidecca and walked back along the canal edge ( with a gelato- very nice)

Regards

TBS
Many thanks. Have been to VCE but this will be the first time staying at the Hilton. And again, your photos are gorgeous.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:29 pm

Venice

OP,

Allow me to wake up this thread with a couple of images captured a while back.

The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Almost tempted to book another week at the end of February in Venice ( last few days of Carnivale but would be more interested in walking around rather than attend events) . Weather won't be as good as August. Hotel prices look reasonable ( Hilton is from EUR160 pn). Will see how omicron develops and any testing requirements.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Almost tempted to book another week at the end of February in Venice ( last few days of Carnivale but would be more interested in walking around rather than attend events) . Weather won't be as good as August. Hotel prices look reasonable ( Hilton is from EUR160 pn). Will see how omicron develops and any testing requirements.

Regards

TBS
WOW, never saw this low price for Hilton Molino Stucky.
Never been to the Carnivale, maybe this year it will be less crowded?
A thread in the Italy Forum indicated testing will be required at least till 31 January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.