Search

Tips for taking photos from Airplane Windows

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Tips for taking photos from Airplane Windows

B&H Photo has posted an excellent article by Todd Vorenhamp - The Window Seat: 36 Tips for Taking Amazing Photos from Airplane Windows
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
B&H Photo has posted an excellent article by Todd Vorenhamp - The Window Seat: 36 Tips for Taking Amazing Photos from Airplane Windows
Thanks for sharing. Very well written article.
Even though I love photographing from the my window-seat, I never use my real gears to shoot (too bulky and usually stowed). I use my phone camera (totally inadequate, but handy). On rare occasions, I use a Canon G7x (P&S) that's capable of shooting in RAW. With it I was able to capture 2 shots of Aurora Borealis when flying over Greenland/Iceland at night on LAX-DOH route.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Funny - there’s something similar on the AS blog right now. Saw it the day before onboard.
https://blog.alaskaair.com/travel-ti...raphers-guide/
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:12 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Nice, almost getting me to think bringing the big guns with me on my weekly jaunts.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
I always bring a P&S with me on a flight. Phone and tablet cams are totally inadequate, and I like to get pics out the window, and occasionally in the cabin (I like to snap one of the FA doing safety briefing, and often a selfie showing the cabin stretching behind me).

Dirty windows are probably my biggest obstacle in getting good photos. And while you can clean the inside, it's the outside surface that's usually the dirtier of the two.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Ask Jon Carmichael, he created this composite photo from a series taken onboard a Southwest flight during the eclipse a couple years ago.

Story here:
sea_jeff likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:20 pm

There was a time I considered this to be cliche but then found some interesting shots. Thank you for sharing the article, can't wait to snap my own the next time I'm on a plane.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chipmaster
Nice, almost getting me to think bringing the big guns with me on my weekly jaunts.
Do it! I was thinking the same thing recently, didn't do it and an A388 diverted to BOS landed, and I missed the most fantastic shot of it coming in with the sun breaking through storm clouds.

Every time I don't bring my camera I regret it!
asovse1, strickerj and sea_jeff like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.