Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

Can I bring a tripod on a plane?

Old Apr 6, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

To the best of my knowledge tripods are not on a list of prohibited items. Yet, I keep hearing stores of TSA and/or gate agents refusing to allow them with carry-on baggage. Do you have any experience to share?
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta F0
Mine folds up enough to fit in my carry-on bag, have taken it on several flights, no one has ever said anything about it.
abmj-jr and ebuck like this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It's official: yes.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../items/tripods
Old Apr 8, 19, 1:58 am

I've never had any issues with bringing my tripod as a carry on or stored in bag. Although I would recommend carrying on.
Old Apr 16, 19, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've always put my tripod in my checked bag
Old Apr 16, 19, 8:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Checking in at DPS a few days back for a VA flight, my wife's selfie stick was confiscated at security screening
Old Apr 16, 19, 11:54 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I have always put my tripod inside a piece of luggage. Usually carry-on, occasionally checked. Never had a problem. I can't see any reason to try to carry one aboard "naked." If a tripod cannot be folded enough to go in a rollaboard, it should probably be replaced with a tripod designed for travel.
Old Apr 18, 19, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
I have always put my tripod inside a piece of luggage. Usually carry-on, occasionally checked. Never had a problem. I can't see any reason to try to carry one aboard "naked." If a tripod cannot be folded enough to go in a rollaboard, it should probably be replaced with a tripod designed for travel.
It is indeed nice if the tripod is light and folds down into small size, but on the other hand the primary criteria in selecting a tripod should be that it is suits your needs: tripod is no good if it is too flimsy for your chosen camera equipment. For example the telephoto lenses used for wildlife photography can be heavy and you want a sturdy tripod for those.
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:30 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K
I've successfully brought it on with my backup filled with high end gear, yeah it looks like a pretty big club, but when going with a backpack full of equipment was never a problem.
Old Apr 21, 19, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abmj-jr View Post
Originally Posted by Hezu View Post
It is indeed nice if the tripod is light and folds down into small size, but on the other hand the primary criteria in selecting a tripod should be that it is suits your needs: tripod is no good if it is too flimsy for your chosen camera equipment. For example the telephoto lenses used for wildlife photography can be heavy and you want a sturdy tripod for those.
I don't recall the model but I did find a tripod that's both short and sturdy. It accomplished that by adding another leg segment--the result is that it's fatter and I would guess a bit heavier than something of the same strength but using fewer segments.
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:03 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by alanslegal View Post
Checking in at DPS a few days back for a VA flight, my wife's selfie stick was confiscated at security screening
i think selfie sticks are prohibited by The Hague convention
MissJ and GadgetFreak like this.
Old Jun 6, 19, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by chongl View Post
I've always put my tripod in my checked bag
I'm the same but have had friends have tripods on their carry-on with no problems.

Search this Thread